Best Battery For TRX-4 Sport

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgerman45

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I am going to purchase a Traxxas TRX-4 Sport. I know that I could use either NiMH or LiPO batteries. However, I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of each. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I use both in my trx4 sport and my trx4 defender. The advantage of a lipo is that they generally last an hour on 2s they provide more "bang" for the buck in my opinion. A major disadvantage that I can think of is that they can be somewhat unstable if damaged and you have to monitor voltage levels. However with a trx4 their esc has a low voltage cutoff so that you don't over discharge the lipo. Nimh batteries are still good. Although the biggest disadvantage is usually price although that can go both ways with lipo as well. I buy cheap zeee brand lipos off Amazon for about 18 bucks a pack and only ever had one come damaged. I spent 45 on a venom nimh battery pack because I needed it at the time. So realistically the choice is yours. I would reccomend a multi chemistry charger in either case. I use a venom duo charger that charges two packs at a time and can charge different chemistry packs simultaneously. Just my two cents worth I hope it helps

LiPo is far superior to Ni-MH packs. Zeee brand lipos seem to be pretty good budget option like Badger said. I personally would look at picking up either an iCharger or a PowerLabs charger from www.progressiveRC.com. Personally Id recommend something like the iCharger X6. For $110 bucks its really hard to beat this little 800W charger. Its got a lot of features like cycling LiPo packs and reading IR of each of the batteries cells. I've got the X8 which is an 1100W charger for $130 and its one of my favorite chargers I've owned to this point. Well it and my Powerlabs 6 that is. Thats another awesome charger but its a fair amount more expensive. Nots sure what your budget is but Id at least look at it. It will need an external DC power source to power it though.

Back