Beginner questions about older Tamiya Fox RC car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetrad

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have and old Tamiya Fox RC car I used when I was a kid. It has sat in a climate controlled environment for years and to the best of my knowledge it was running when I packed it away. I wanted to get it running again for my kids and I was hoping you guys here could point me in the right direction to get started. Please assume I know nothing!

The front shock is broken/missing. Where is the best place to get a replacement? I do not have the remote control, battery charger or battery. Are new ones compatible with this old car? I have no idea how to sync a new remote to the car. If I find some of the internal/mechanical parts are not working anymore, where is the best place to find them?

Thanks for reading my barrage of likely basic questions. I live in the Bay Area of CA - maybe there is a local club I could talk too? Any help or advice to set me in the right direction is appreciated!

-David

Attachments

• IMG-6885.jpg
    IMG-6885.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 191
Oh that thing brings back memories. I use to have a Hornet
Try bud on the one for 51$

Attachments

• 8D5084CF-AE47-4F12-BD98-4C6A7320F434.png
    8D5084CF-AE47-4F12-BD98-4C6A7320F434.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 752FB44C-DF52-47A4-A011-A02915365188.png
    752FB44C-DF52-47A4-A011-A02915365188.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
Hi, I have and old Tamiya Fox RC car I used when I was a kid. It has sat in a climate controlled environment for years and to the best of my knowledge it was running when I packed it away. I wanted to get it running again for my kids and I was hoping you guys here could point me in the right direction to get started. Please assume I know nothing!

The front shock is broken/missing. Where is the best place to get a replacement? I do not have the remote control, battery charger or battery. Are new ones compatible with this old car? I have no idea how to sync a new remote to the car. If I find some of the internal/mechanical parts are not working anymore, where is the best place to find them?

Thanks for reading my barrage of likely basic questions. I live in the Bay Area of CA - maybe there is a local club I could talk too? Any help or advice to set me in the right direction is appreciated!

-David
I have 2 of these original beautiful cars , one I raced competitively and one is all original from the 80s very little use, its very interesting to see the difference in some parts as they got broken Tamiya made some of these parts different back then, Right i haven't found any new shocks like that yet but you can get on ebay full modified 4 shocks with machined alloy parts etc.
Your left front suspension mount is also cracked and the front of the chassis also cracked behind bumper.
No radio gear no charger no battery very expensive exercise also considering it would be better to get a electronic speed controller.
Old plastic is brittle and no matter where its stored so to avoid disappointment of spending heaps of money then it getting repeatedly broken with acces to spares difficult I strongly recommend sell it to a collector and buy a new Ready to race car with parts that are readily available for your kids frkm a reputable hobby store.