Axial AX10 Scorpion upgrades

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foggy

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi guys i like the look of crawlers and well I'm not going to get any complaints about the noise!.
I'm looking at the Axial AX10 Scorpion rtr and was wondering if i could just put a li-po in there.

Also how easy is it to upgrade the motor as i like the look of the Novak goat. I know I'd be better off getting the artr but I'd rather see if i enjoy crawling before i spend a few 100 on a rig.
thanks guys n gals.

p.s
i would ask in a certain popular crawling forum but they seem to hate n00bs in there lol.

foggy,

Yes you can use lipo and a brushless motor such as the Novak Goat in the Axial AX10.

Honestly though if I was you I would really look at getting the AX10 ARTR over the RTR if you're planning on doing those types of upgrades right off the bat. For one the RTR costs a few bucks more and for what, nothing really if you're going to strip the truck of the motor and ESC.

If you already have a radio gear to put into the Axial Scorpion then really you shouldn't even bother with the RTR as there's no real benefits of it over the ARTR.

-Michael

I would definitely either get the kit or ARTR. You can build the kit with a nice set of electronics and have a REALLY nice rig for only about 50 bucks more than the RTR. The electronics are not worth spit in the RTR. The kit comes with A LOT of aluminum upgrades that you will need, and to have a decent crawler in the RTR you're going to have to throw out the electronics and replace them anyway, so why spend the money on a rig that doesn't have nearly as many upgrades that are needed to crawl. The RTR comes with a 27 turn motor, and if you're going to run a brushed motor you will need a 55 to 65 turn motor and an ESC that will give you better throttle control. The servo also will have to be replaced because it doesn't have enough torque to turn the wheels at a standstill, which is madatory for a crawler. I came REALLY close to buying the RTR, but I realized that I was going to spend a lot more money than buying the kit, and still not have all the features of buying the kit. I know what you mean about they way that they treat the noobs. I've been helping several guys over here since I got into rock crawling, and I would be more than happy to help you with anything that you need. I have a Novak Goat in my crawler and I absolutely love it, so much so that I may buy another one for my new project, a comp build that I'm working on. If you have any questions at all just let me know.

Also, you can get some great deals on parts from Joe over at East End Machining. He offers special deals to RCNT members, and he's into crawling so he's good at answering questions and stuff like that. His prices are unbelievable, and once you become a customer he just loves to give you lil discounts when you buy stuff and throw free stuff in the box sometimes to show you that he cares to have you as a customer.

If you're considering the ARTR because you don't want to build the kit, I just thought that I would let you know that it's a REALLY easy build. This was my fourth build and WAY easier than anything else that I've worked on, and I have around 15 rigs. You can spend about an hour a night on it after work and have it done in one week, ready to crawl on the weekend. Or you can spend some time on it on a weekend and finish it in one maybe two days at the longest. Very good also if you've never built a kit before, great instructions and all the parts are labeled in seperate bags for each step, so you can't use the wrong part in the wrong place.

www.eastendmachining.com

Last edited:
p.s
i would ask in a certain popular crawling forum but they seem to hate n00bs in there lol.

I know exactly which site you speak of. The members there for the most part are a bunch of self centered, self absorbed, egotistical jerks, that need to realize at the end of the day these are toy trucks, and get over themselves. The staff there is no better either.

So welcome to RCNT, your noob friendly home for R/C :yes:

I completely agree with WoodiE, the artr would be the way to go. The rtr has way too much plastic, and if you are planning on upgrading anyway you would be better off to just spend a few more bucks and go with the artr.

I know exactly which site you speak of. The members there for the most part are a bunch of self centered, self absorbed, egotistical jerks, that need to realize at the end of the day these are toy trucks, and get over themselves. The staff there is no better either.

So welcome to RCNT, your noob friendly home for R/C :yes:

I completely agree with WoodiE, the artr would be the way to go. The rtr has way too much plastic, and if you are planning on upgrading anyway you would be better off to just spend a few more bucks and go with the artr.

dude you are sooooo right i read a couple of threads over there and some of the comments were just nasty and thats the mod's!!.

i said i wanted the rtr but thinking about it you guys are correct (again) I'm going for the kit.
I'll keep you all posted. :bow: