Most recommended Traxxas T-Maxx upgrades, tips, and tricks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stretchnutz

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So, we all love the traxxas tmaxx line. It has gained so much popularity in everyone's RC collections. So I decided hey, I'd make a thread to bounce around some ideas that maybe everyone can gain off of rather than one specific problem or idea.

Best Traxxas TMaxx Upgrades

RPM A-Arms - The stock T-Maxx a-arms are notorious for breaking and the easiest and one of the best upgrades you can do to your T-maxx is to upgrade to a set of RPM A-Arms.

The RPM A-arms are not only far stronger but also carry a lifetime warranty should to manage to break one.

RPM Axle Carriers - Most of us are bashing our Traxxas T-Maxx's pretty good and another weak spot on the truck are the axle carriers - to fix that get yourself a set of RPM axle carriers!

RPM has a fix for those as well that actually do two things over the stock setup. The first is that they are much more durable and stronger than stock but also use a larger wheel bearing which will prolong the life of your bearings while we run those large monster truck tires.

Stronger Steering Servo - The traxxas t-maxx has pretty large wheels and tires which means the stronger steering servo the better. Take a look at the Hitec HS-645MG for a cheap upgrade or even better the Savox SW-1210SG servo for some serious power!

Ball Bearings - As is common with most manufacture supplied bearings... they leave a bit to be desired. Get yourself a set of sealed Fast Eddy Bearings. They are top quality, long lasting, and pretty darn inexpensive!

Front/Rear bulkheads - The newer T-maxx trucks seem to fair a bit better than the older models did compared to bulkhead durability. However no stock item beats RPM products. If you're looking for the best durability then get yourself a set of Front and Rear bulkheads from RPM.

So those are a few of my suggestions. What do you guys see as a must-have upgrade? What is the biggest flaw of the stock tmaxx or its weakest parts? What have you done to your Traxxas tmaxx that you feel yielded the best result? And what do you see as the most important procedure you do for your tmaxx to extend its parts life?

I started out with the early .15 Maxx and it just ran and ran and ran. I still can't believe what a beating it took and how little maintenance it needed.

I eventually upgraded to the wide arms and the 2.5.
Anyone upgrading today just needs to know not to get any Integy parts other than their aluminum clutch.

RPM parts.... and beat the nuts off of it!!! I'm picking up another one soon, its a basket case but thats why I'm buying it, putting it all together they way i want it.

ofna tank mod
hpi dogbone centre driveshaft mod
and any other engine thats not a 3.3 lol

Go with RPM upgrades on everything, then beat the crap out of it. Nuff said.

my exparance is with Traxxas t-max-jato, only traxxas will NOT make a part out of metal if plastic will do. both good and bad. they brake more but are cheaper.

Jato is an ok rig. With a few upgrades the Maxx truck will bash with the best of em. I know I own or have owned about every monster truck out there minus the Losi XXL and the maxx will hang right with any.

The jato is not bad i think it was made right.
I havent broken anything yet on second engine.
the tmaxx so far has been good to me only bent the bumper screws.
it was the 2.5 now its all 3.3. And also on second engine.
I guess it depends on how you drive them.

I have noticed that about the tock screws as well. Any point that takes a lot of stress bashing likes to bend them.little * which can.be a pain in the * when u go to take something apart

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that about the tock screws as well. Any point that takes a lot of stress bashing likes to bend them.little screws which can be a pain in the rear when u go to take something apart

Fixed it for you. This is an open forum!

Spoke to soon! Just broke a drive shaft today lol.
i think its because of the new 3.3 motor it had the 2.5 in it be for.

Install RPM part's on just about every thing RPM has available for the MAXX... Oh yea upgrade to alum front & rear Bulkhead's... I broke my front stock left side bulkhead 2 weeks ago "I hit a fence pole @ Low speed" I actually did not think the bulkhead broke @ 1st. But I am glad I upgraded to alum & being the bulkheads have a lot of parts attached to them... & like every one says BASH BASH BASH the MAXX.....

I agree with everyone above....well except rolex :hehe: I think the best upgrades I made was the emaxx diffs and aluminum everything thing in the center (bulks, braces, skids). Of coarse the RPM arms help tons but I doubt it would matter if I was shattering bulks constantly.

RPM on all 4 corners along with shock towers, other than that I dont find any harm at all with alloy parts as long as they arent located in a "striking" area. If I were ever to go 100% Integy on ANY rig I might as well change my name to Loring Osama Achmed and become an alqueda.......

IMHO i would rather watch any rig burn to the ground than put Integy parts on it...:hehe:

So what about power upgrades?? Anyone have a good company for that?

So, we all love the traxxas tmaxx line. It has gained so much popularity in everyone's RC collections. So I decided hey, I'd make a thread to bounce around some ideas that maybe everyone can gain off of rather than one specific problem or idea.

RPM A-Arms - The stock T-Maxx a-arms are notorious for breaking and the easiest and one of the best upgrades you can do to your T-maxx is to upgrade to a set of RPM A-Arms.

The RPM A-arms are not only far stronger but also carry a lifetime warranty should to manage to break one.

RPM Axle Carriers - Most of us are bashing our Traxxas T-Maxx's pretty good and another weak spot on the truck are the axle carriers - to fix that get yourself a set of RPM axle carriers!

RPM has a fix for those as well that actually do two things over the stock setup. The first is that they are much more durable and stronger than stock but also use a larger wheel bearing which will prolong the life of your bearings while we run those large monster truck tires.

Stronger Steering Servo - The traxxas t-maxx has pretty large wheels and tires which means the stronger steering servo the better. Take a look at the Hitec HS-645MG for a cheap upgrade or even better the Savox SW-1210SG servo for some serious power!

Ball Bearings - As is common with most manufacture supplied bearings... they leave a bit to be desired. Get yourself a set of sealed Fast Eddy Bearings. They are top quality, long lasting, and pretty darn inexpensive!

Front/Rear bulkheads - The newer T-maxx trucks seem to fair a bit better than the older models did compared to bulkhead durability. However no stock item beats RPM products. If you're looking for the best durability then get yourself a set of Front and Rear bulkheads from RPM.

So those are a few of my suggestions. What do you guys see as a must-have upgrade? What is the biggest flaw of the stock tmaxx or its weakest parts? What have you done to your Traxxas tmaxx that you feel yielded the best result? And what do you see as the most important procedure you do for your tmaxx to extend its pa

So those are a few of my suggestions. What do you guys see as a must-have upgrade? What is the biggest flaw of the stock tmaxx or its weakest parts? What have you done to your Traxxas tmaxx that you feel yielded the best result? And what do you see as the most important procedure you do for your tmaxx to extend its

So those are a few of my suggestions. What do you guys see as a must-have upgrade? What is the biggest flaw of the stock tmaxx or its weakest parts? What have you done to your Traxxas tmaxx that you feel yielded the best result? And what do you see as the most important procedure you do for your tmaxx to extend its parts life?
The only thing I would add to it extend your antenna and buy new tube to avoid Runaways

Back