Advice for better remote for my JJRC Q61 RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncrebel

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I need advice on what kind of remote controls work with my Q61 truck from JJRC.

After having it and running it for 2 weeks my truck stopped running due a crack in one of the components in the receiver board , the crack was caused by the RC being treated badly while being shipped to me.
Anyway when it was running fine It go pretty far away from me .

Now that I have replaced the receiver board , it will not go as far as it once did . I don't know what is causing this , maybe a better remote that will work with my RC will help ?

If so what do you guys recommend ? could I upgrade the remote that came with it , if so how ?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The black square on the pic of a q61 receiver was the bit that had a crack in it .

Pic of my modded Q61 , made it look like the WW2 truck that it based on International Harvester KR-11 4x2 and 2x2. front bumper with hooks handmade , gas tank also

Attachments

• 14869985021b4177850b480c48600f9c.jpg
    14869985021b4177850b480c48600f9c.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 293
  • sDSC_0947.png
    sDSC_0947.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 201
Hi everyone

I need advice on what kind of remote controls work with my Q61 truck from JJRC.

After having it and running it for 2 weeks my truck stopped running due a crack in one of the components in the receiver board , the crack was caused by the RC being treated badly while being shipped to me.
Anyway when it was running fine It go pretty far away from me .

Now that I have replaced the receiver board , it will not go as far as it once did . I don't know what is causing this , maybe a better remote that will work with my RC will help ?

If so what do you guys recommend ? could I upgrade the remote that came with it , if so how ?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The black square on the pic of a q61 receiver was the bit that had a crack in it .

Pic of my modded Q61 , made it look like the WW2 truck that it based on International Harvester KR-11 4x2 and 2x2. front bumper with hooks handmade , gas tank also

The only thing that I can suggest ,is to scratch that set up ,an install a whole radio set up ,like a flysky brand ,
they are pretty reasonably cheap!

Usually the issue isn't the remote, it's the receiver. Using any hobby grade type system with it would require you to remove the esc board as well as the receiver board, then replace them with normal alternatives.

Considering the size, you wouldn't need much of a system. If it was still easily found, I'd suggest the losi esc/receiver/servo combo for the micro-t that is capable of using a standard 3 wire servo and can run brushed or brushless motors. I'm not sure how far mine can go, but it can go a ways. I have it bound to my normal spektrum DX5C transmitter.

https://www.hobbytown.com/losi-micro-2.4ghz-esc-receiver-conversion-losb9524/p208405

Thanks olds97 and cbaker

They don't make this esc -receiver -conversion any more , and I never knew about Hobbytown, there is one in VA near by , I will take a look at it online .
Flysky is pretty cheap , found this kit by Flysky on Ebay , I will let you guys take a look at it , and give me your advice

FS-GT2G 2.4ghz Radio Kit RC Transmitter Receiver Kit 2 channel sv301 servos x 2, it will work with any ESC.
It beats having to buy each part one at a time from hobbytown , but if I find myself having to do so I will have to. I have not taken a good look at Flysky online real good , but the prices look good.

I welcome any input ,advice and guidance because I am new to the RC world

Thanks

Attachments

• s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 127
i'd recommend buying flysky from somewhere that is known for good customer service and for being good about returns, like Amazon, or another trusted site. nothing against flysky but it seems some people get dead on arrival Tx/Rx, so being able to return and swap through amazon would be worth it imo. i just got my FlySky GT3C in the mail yesterday, really liking it so far, 57$ shipped and comes with a lipo battery.
you can get the GT3B for 40$ (one my friend got) it does run 8 AA Batteries, but super comfortable, and he has had good luck with his. both can bind up to 10 channels iirc, so it can be used for up to 10 of your cars down the line. and receivers are only 10$ ea.

https://www.amazon.com/GT3B-2-4G-Fl...=B00LP1LYAI&psc=1&refRID=VDY6PGFQ01GQ9FYBDYX9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GSML4CM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_9?psc=1

the one you found might be really good, i just dont have any experience with it.
FlySky also has very small receivers wich is pretty nice, the only thing is that they are not wireless.
the Tactic ttx300 and tr325 is a good combo as well as pretty cheap. receiver is around 30$ and controller around 20$(did find a cheap combo on ebay below) but is a wireless receiver and it is really small.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-Noto...6072?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

I think part of your issue will be that you also need an esc. I can't imagine the speed controller in that thing is compatible with a typical receiver.

I had my Fly for almost 15 yrs ,it still works great ,mine cost $37.00 ,an came with 2 receivers ,a I run two rc's on it!
You can buy more REC.'s an program more in to the trans. , an put the actual name in the transmitter!

Here is mine with my Ld3 programed in!

Not sure what I need , don't want to keep throwing money into a RC Toy

From what I have read online and what I have gotten from you guys I will need a Transmitter and a receiver " that can work with my 2 prong plugs in my RC , servo , as well as a new on off switch , and new motor ? switch What do I need exactly with out replacing everything that is already in my RC

I need something that is easy to switch out , with out cutting or drilling it make something fit. I have no understanding of electronics

I think I will go Flysky because Hobbytown seems to cost more , even thoe there is one a few miles away from me

From what I have read online and what I have gotten from you guys I will need a Transmitter and a receiver " that can work with my 2 prong plugs in my RC , servo , as well as a new on off switch , and new motor ? switch What do I need exactly with out replacing everything that is already in my RC

I need something that is easy to switch out , with out cutting or drilling it make something fit. I have no understanding of electronics

I think I will go Flysky because Hobbytown seems to cost more , even thoe there is one a few miles away from me

The thing about upgrading to all proportional radio gear ,is even though you spend a little more money on this
stuff ,you don't lose ,the stuff can be reused in other stuff!

An yes ,you will have to buy a speed control ,an another steering servo ,but ,that stuff is a dime a dozen ,if you look
at the header on the top of the forum ,it will show ,I think the add for Hobby King ,there would be the cheap stuff
that is with in a budget!...:thumbs-up:

motor

transmitter and receiver (also shortened to TX/RX) yes,
you will need some sort of an electronic speed control (also known as an ESC) ESC typically will have its own built in on/off switch.
motor, you could probably get away with using what is on it for a time being, but eventually you will want to measure out the mounting (some of the not as hobby grade are not screw mounted as most hobby grade ones are, and are molded into plastic, then down the road get a more hobby grade one.

pictures of the underside, and available room will save a thousand typed words on how the install will be.
pretty much to get a new controller on that, you will need to completely strip all the electronics out and replace with new gear. servos typically have 3 wires, do not think that you would be able to make a 2 prong work with a regular receiver, so servos would need to be replaced, this may incur custom fabricating mounts for the new servo, or a new one might screw right into the same location (again pictures save a thousand typed words), combination receivers/ESC are just that, unless you had a high knowledge of wiring and understanding of how they work and their required components, i do not think it be possible to separate them.

you may want to look into something like the exceed barrage esc as it runs a small motor, or another 1/16 scale rc that has an esc that may work with the motor already in it.

servos you can find cheaper ones for around 15$, given thats a 1/16 you may need a mini servo, i am not familiar with them as much but the principal and configuration is about the same as a standard, just the size.
ESC, brushed escs are cheap, should be able to find one within a 30$ range unless you want some performance one.
motor- brushed motors for a standard application are usually around 10-40$
radio, already covered above.

unless your rig runs semi-standard hobby grade gear, there will need to be custom modification to make it work.

I had seen this truck before ,I think that it is set up like those scale models ,for trailing ,much like Tamiya ,maybe!

Thanks cbaker
Will have to get a new motor to go with all that new stuff or can still use it ?

Anyway Its time to decide which way I am going to go ,kit or buy each bit. I want to get this done so I can get started on my WW2 " Ben Hur " trailer to pull behind my RC

Attachments

• G518_Ben_Hur_2.jpg
    G518_Ben_Hur_2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 102
Thanks cbaker
Will have to get a new motor to go with all that new stuff or can still use it ?

Anyway Its time to decide which way I am going to go ,kit or buy each bit. I want to get this done so I can get started on my WW2 " Ben Hur " trailer to pull behind my RC

I bought these for me & G-son ,I also thought about updrades ,so your not the only one ,I think that someone here
had posted that truck on here before ,It made me take a second look at it ,it is pretty detailed!

Here is what I got ,they work well ,but the battery life isn't fun ,but they are cool!

About my RC pic cbaker , yes it is

Made the front bumper and hooks out of aluminum angle bar , back window glass from CD case , Gas tank made out of aluminum flat bar , gas tank straps from drink can, and spray painted it Olive Drab green . Cut off or removed any stuff that WW2 truck did not have on it , removed the hitch and made the WW2 pintal hitch by hand

Attachments

• sDSC_0952.png
    sDSC_0952.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
About my RC pic cbaker , yes it is

Made the front bumper and hooks out of aluminum angle bar , back window glass from CD case , Gas tank made out of aluminum flat bar , gas tank straps from drink can, and spray painted it Olive Drab green . Cut off or removed any stuff that WW2 truck did not have on it , removed the hitch and made the WW2 pintal hitch by hand

It being made from another country ,it wont be like it should be ,or was!

Is that based off the Military Dodge power wagon ,I am not keen on the Military vehicles ,I know
that there was some funky ones produced!

There is a lot of folks that are into this type of hobby with true scale looks!...:cool:

Thanks 3DMon

Yes I think my RC runs semi-standard hobby grade gear for beginners in the hobby " like me "
Basically what I have learned and read in the past few hours about the JJRC RC electronics that they are cr@p

I will post picks of my RC underside shortly

Cbaker

The body type of my JJRC q61 was based on the WW2 KR -11 made by International Harvester , its a lesser known WW2 truck , 4 back wheels , 2 front or 2 back and 2 front . Used for everything .

Attachments

• ba40006d798c54062c1.jpg
    ba40006d798c54062c1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 132
  • intK11JS.jpg
    intK11JS.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 1944_WWII_INTERNATIONAL_HARVESTER_5_TON_4x2_KR_11_DUMP_SEMI_TRACTOR_TRUCK_MANUAL_07_mt.jpg
    1944_WWII_INTERNATIONAL_HARVESTER_5_TON_4x2_KR_11_DUMP_SEMI_TRACTOR_TRUCK_MANUAL_07_mt.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 185
Cbaker

The body type of my JJRC q61 was based on the WW2 KR -11 made by International Harvester , its a lesser known WW2 truck , 4 back wheels , 2 front or 2 back and 2 front . Used for everything .

I watch that show American Pickers every now & then ,a couple of those old cab over trucks popped up ,
one of them was civilian ,but one was from Military ,I think they were GMC ,the Military was worth more!

I picked up 4 of these a while back ,you can get them in bulk ,I think that they cost less than 20 bucks!

Micro servo's.

Wife is at work , can't take pics of the underside of my RC because she has the camera card , but found pics of the under side of my JJRC Q61 online, servo not included , have to buy it

The JJRC Q60 and 61 have the same parts

This is what it has

Attachments

• 14869985021b4177850b480c48600f9c.jpg
    14869985021b4177850b480c48600f9c.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 116
  • geekbuying-JJRC-Q61-Transporter-RC-Car-6WD-Military-Truck-RTR-Army-Green-573910-.jpg
    geekbuying-JJRC-Q61-Transporter-RC-Car-6WD-Military-Truck-RTR-Army-Green-573910-.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 225
  • geekbuying-JJRC-Q61-Transporter-RC-Car-6WD-Military-Truck-RTR-Army-Green-573909-.jpg
    geekbuying-JJRC-Q61-Transporter-RC-Car-6WD-Military-Truck-RTR-Army-Green-573909-.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 120
  • fc715cc1-6e5e-404c-81b5-57d8e87b7fa7.jpg
    fc715cc1-6e5e-404c-81b5-57d8e87b7fa7.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 109
  • geekbuying-JJRC-Q61-Transporter-RC-Car-6WD-Military-Truck-RTR-Army-Green-573911-.jpg
    geekbuying-JJRC-Q61-Transporter-RC-Car-6WD-Military-Truck-RTR-Army-Green-573911-.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 106
  • JJRC%20Q60%20Parts-28-01%206%20Wheel%20Drive%20Motor(1pcs)-Can%20only%20be%20used%20For%206%20...jpg
    JJRC%20Q60%20Parts-28-01%206%20Wheel%20Drive%20Motor(1pcs)-Can%20only%20be%20used%20For%206%20...jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 117
Back