5B.....Kit or RTR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxfreek

Hardcore RCTalk User
Firefighter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm in the process of trying to thin out my herd to finish up my tmaxx......but if i play my cards right i think the better half might buy me a 5b for christmas......i need some advice from you guys should i get a kit or the RTR version.....i love working on RC cars but I'm not sure if I'm ready to build one from scratch.......i need some HELP!!!:\

I was in the same boat

I could've gotten the 5sc ss kit but instead I got the rtr instead. They work out to be the same in price in the end due to electronics and other gear. Since I bought the rtr I took apart the truck to get at the rear diff due to a rumor of them being low from the factory. Turns out mine was very low on fluid. Also there was alot of screws that we're not loctited and some did come loose. If I had to do it all over again I would still get the rtr but I would take more caution before I ran it. Another piece of advice I can give you is make sure you run a quality synthetic oil and run a stabil treatment. I currently run the klotz techniplate synthetic at 25 to 1 ratio along with an ethanol treatment from stabil every gallon.

I would say deciding on a RTR or KIT is a personal preference...I would say go for the kit because then you can have the fun of building your buggy up, you will know it inside and out from building it and you can make sure it's done right the first time!

As far as you spending about the same between the kits I would say is false, well that is if you already have a Tx/Rx to drop in it and if you already have other RC then you should have a sufficient servo laying around to drop in it. The only other thing is the body comes clear for you to paint versus getting one thats already done up. If you want to make this your Baja, then build it up and do it the way you want to. The servos are usually the first things your going to want to replace so go ahead and do it right the first time!

I bought my baja used, it was a first generation RTR. The guy had already invested quite a bit of money into the buggy but none-the-less it was still used and needed some TLC...I bought a manual off of ebay and the day I brought it home I tore it completely apart, cleaned everything, went through the motor and by the time I was ready to put it back together the manual had arrived in the mail. I just followed the build instructions in the manual and it all went back together in only a few hours. IMO its a fairly simple build!

Hope this helps ;-)

Last edited:
Personally, I would get the kit. It provides the experience to disassemble and repair the buggy when necessary.

Ok guys a few more questions.......i know that Aluminum parts for 1/10 and 1/8 scale trucks isnt a good idea....but what about the 5b....i have been researching the king motors and they offer one with alot of aluminum parts already installed along with a 2 speed kit that will have to be installed.......should i go with aluminum and 2 speed or standard and single speed? I know everyone has different opinions about these "clones" but a friend of mine has had a king motors version and has had no problems what so ever with it......so i think ill go that route with my budget being too low for a HPI.....i guess ill try those out and see what happens.......SO aluminum 2 speed or plastic single speed?

I would go with the standard and single speed. If you want to upgrade the arms, go RPM.

I agree with hamz, Aluminum upgrades are good for 1/5th scale but just like any other RC only in certain areas. I see alot of people with aluminum a-arms but those are mainly sandrail buggies. If your gonna bash this thing in the park or street then RPM in the corners and aluminum down the middle. Do u have a link for the hopped up one?

Another thing to consider is to go with the upgraded one, since the two speed isn't installed it can be put on the shelf until later you decide to use it and you can take the aluminum a-arms off and keep them as optional upgrades if u ever decide to use the buggy for the sand dunes.

That's funny.

King Baja can't even use the term "transmission" properly for their clone.

What they call the 2-Speed Transmission kit is actually just a 2-Speed gearing kit consisting of a different pinion/spur setup form stock. The only part of the assembly that goes into the transmission is the layshaft which does not change any gearing in the transmision whatsoever.

The single speed gearing is actually included since it's already installed.

My advice if your going clone would be to avoid the 2-speed version and just get the stock geared non-aluminum KM version and save some $$. Good luck with your purchase.

Actually i believe the kit you have to assemble comes with an upgraded clutch over the RTR. thats what my RC car action buyers guide says.

quote "We added the high performance power control slipper clutch for drivetrain protection and improved handling through extra adjustability"

*EDIT* Also the kit isnt the same price as the RTR heres one for a grand http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-107173-...ccessories&hash=item45fd4ac155#ht_3428wt_1139 compared to.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-105231-...ol_Vehicles&hash=item588febb98d#ht_4286wt_952

Last edited: