DR10 Kit - Opinions on Motor/esc/servo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tstutsman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I picked up a DR10 kit for $150 with some Amazon gift cards. Awhile back I picked up the Sling Shot SLV2 motor.

See it here (https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopow...less-drag-racing-motor-4.5t-ecp-8004/p1316089)

I am looking for a good ESC to pair it with? Obviously has to be brushless and sensored, but is there anything else I need to know. I don’t really want to spend $200 but I also don’t like to lose 😂 this is my first build. Have an RTR Losi 22s also.

You didn't say what battery size you're using, but I think Hobbywing has a sensored version of their 120A ESC (2S/3S), and I'm sure I've seen it on Amazon...

You didn't say what battery size you're using, but I think Hobbywing has a sensored version of their 120A ESC (2S/3S), and I'm sure I've seen it on Amazon...
Your talking about the 10BL120 G1
120A sensored. 4.5T is the limit which he has.
You.can probably run that motor with that 10BL120 ESC, just watch temps.
My uncle ran a 4.5sct off-road motor with a Hobbywing V2.1 (10BL120 is like the revised version of it) in his 4wd SCT back in the day, he always watched the gearing and temps.

But just to be safe, id get a XR10 Pro (legacy) which is 160A and for sure can handle that motor. Funny thing is my uncle has a xr10 Pro in his short course with the same motor, it worked good, but soon after he fried it. No reverse polarity detection. Watch what you are doing! I also run a xr10 Pro in my.4wd wheeler, but I run a 13.5 in that so my electronics always stay super cool.

For servo, you don't need one, cause your only going straight. Lol 🤣
Any red or blue metal gear servo on Amazon can do, but if you want a little more speed and torque and reliable brands, look at savox tekin ProTek Xpert ecopower jx servo, ect.

I'm not a drag racer my self, but I know a lot of people use XR10 pros, and 8th scale ESCs such as XR8, and I think Maclan has a few drag ESCs. Also seen a few people run castle. Tekin RX8 is another one.

Last edited:
Thank you! I haven’t bought the battery or servo yet. Just picked up the motor because it was on sale. Any recommendations?

I haven’t bought the battery
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=drag+lipo

They are expensive, again, not a drag racer myself. Although you probably could use regular LiHV shorty packs like I use in my offroad racing buggy:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=7.6+lihv+shorty

I think the drag packs are what people use because of all the load that is putting on the battery when you hit the throttle. Thats why they have bigger plugs, to handle that current, and big capacity so it can actually run and the battery can last under load.

@Greywolf74 is our battery scientist guy ;) 😁

CNHL makes the "Parallel" series packs, which are excellent for the money. That being said, they have been out of stock for a really long time now. IDK why. The only drag packs I have personal experience with are the Max Amps packs, which are good but stupid expensive for what they are.

any servo will not work. you better get correct throw in servo.. unless you have a radio with endpoints adjustments.

I have a dr10 mod chassis, I run a 4.5t no prep motor with a rx8 esc. its good to have a esc that can handle load and amp's that's my tip and you do want a servo that hold the center well enough too nothing crazy but dose the job too. and lipo pack that hold up to the load is very much important. makes for less chances of popping stuff on the esc

I have a dr10 mod chassis, I run a 4.5t no prep motor with a rx8 esc. its good to have a esc that can handle load and amp's that's my tip and you do want a servo that hold the center well enough too nothing crazy but dose the job too. and lipo pack that hold up to the load is very much important. makes for less chances of popping stuff on the esc
Thanks for the info! I ended up getting a EcoPower Slingshot 4.5T, and a high torque protek servo. I ordered a Protek Short 2S lipo and a Maclan DRK esc. I think everything should be good! They esc and battery come in next week. Excited to get it running!

Thanks for the info! I ended up getting a EcoPower Slingshot 4.5T, and a high torque protek servo. I ordered a Protek Short 2S lipo and a Maclan DRK esc. I think everything should be good! They esc and battery come in next week. Excited to get it running!
glad i can help man

Back