540 15 turn vs 550 12 turn

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NurturantQuasar

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
if i were to swap out a 540 15 turn brushed motor for a 550 12 turn brushed motor would there be any noticeable torque increase?

if i were to swap out a 540 15 turn brushed motor for a 550 12 turn brushed motor would there be any noticeable torque increase?
Its probably going to be less torque and more top end. Going down in Turns is the same thing as going up in KV. Less torque more top end. Granted the bigger can size will help offset the torque loss to a degree but probably not enough to keep it from being a net loss overall.

Its probably going to be less torque and more top end. Going down in Turns is the same thing as going up in KV. Less torque more top end. Granted the bigger can size will help offset the torque loss to a degree but probably not enough to keep it from being a net loss overall.
Hmm alright. Only reason I ask is cause my brushed stampede with brushed 550 12 turn motor seems to have a lot more torque than my Kysho outlaw rampage with a 540 15 turn motor. The Kysho does have a bunch of bushings in the drivetrain i have yet to replace with ball bearings so the extra drivetrain friction could be the cause of the lack of torque.

Hmm alright. Only reason I ask is cause my brushed stampede with brushed 550 12 turn motor seems to have a lot more torque than my Kysho outlaw rampage with a 540 15 turn motor. The Kysho does have a bunch of bushings in the drivetrain i have yet to replace with ball bearings so the extra drivetrain friction could be the cause of the lack of torque.
Overall gearing and rollout differences between the two kits can play a part in it feeling that way too

I went from a Traxxas 12 turn 550 motor to an old school Japan made Twister 540 motor with unknown # of turns and the 550 motor had noticeably more torque but the Twister motor was slightly quicker for whatever that is worth to you. The 540 motor also ran hotter.

I purchased a cheap $17 Injora 12 turn 550 motor off Amazon to get my sons Slash by for a while not expecting it to actually be faster and run cooler compared to the tired Titan motor.

Nothing beats a brushless motor though. They are way better than brushed in every way.

I went from a Traxxas 12 turn 550 motor to an old school Japan made Twister 540 motor with unknown # of turns and the 550 motor had noticeably more torque but the Twister motor was slightly quicker for whatever that is worth to you. The 540 motor also ran hotter.

I purchased a cheap $17 Injora 12 turn 550 motor off Amazon to get my sons Slash by for a while not expecting it to actually be faster and run cooler compared to the tired Titan motor.

Nothing beats a brushless motor though. They are way better than brushed in every way.
Yea I have a brushless Traxxas esc and motor sitting in my tool box but I’m running the Kysho outlaw rampage and brushless would be overkill. I finally realized today though the lack of torque feel is cause the slipper clutch is set real loose from factory so it just slips a lot of the power away on launch especially with my new super grippy proline tires I’m running.

Yea I have a brushless Traxxas esc and motor sitting in my tool box but I’m running the Kysho outlaw rampage and brushless would be overkill. I finally realized today though the lack of torque feel is cause the slipper clutch is set real loose from factory so it just slips a lot of the power away on launch especially with my new super grippy proline tires I’m running.
Glad you got that sorted. Didnt even think about that possibility. 👍