4WD 1/10 (1/8) SCT under $300.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have looked at several used Helion Dominus on eBay the last year, but never pulled the trigger because i had heard they were shut down.
Don't get the Dominus.

This was a FS Racing Marauder, the Dominus was just a rebrand of this car with a longer chassis.
20201211_205538.jpg

Don't get the Dominus.

This was a FS Racing Marauder, the Dominus was just a rebrand of this car with a longer chassis.
I am just going to get a Senton mega, and add my own electronics. Now, if only i could find a set of good SCT tires that dont balloon on 3S, then my RC searches would be complete. I have tried Badlands SC and MX, DTX Lockups, Losi 22S stock tires, Associated ProSC10 stock tires, and, so far, i have ended up having to belt every one, and i hate doing that, because eventually the line comes loose and smacks the body.

One think I probably didn't explain right is, with a racer, you can tune them pretty easily to jump properly. Therefore, your car will have a better chance on landing properly.

One think I probably didn't explain right is, with a racer, you can tune them pretty easily to jump properly. Therefore, your car will have a better chance on landing properly.
Oh, i know. I raced SCT's and buggies for years, starting in the mid eighties with Tamiya and Kyosho (i still have a Kyosho Ultima and Turbo Scorpion, and a Futaba FX10) stuff. I got out of it completely about 6 years ago because the closest tracks to me are all closed, and the bigger shops that still have them, by the time i spent the money to go racing, with gas, entry fees, and maintaining a race vehicle, it's way beyond my budget anymore, nor do i have time for a 5 hour round trip. Tracks around here the last few years have closed faster than even the shops did. Now, the nearest track, which is a small carpet set up, is 65+ miles away, and the nearest track that runs SCT on dirt and clay is over 140 miles away. There was a guy last year that was going to build 2 tracks in this area, and, with insurance (anything in this county that is related to the public, and is privately owned, has to have a ridiculous amount of insurance), and all the other fees, decided it wasn't worth it. That's upstate N.Y. for you though. If it doesn't interest them, and they can't make large amounts of money from it, they make it nearly impossible to have here. However, there are more than 10 skate parks in a 7.25 square mile area. All but one of the public parks here has a skate park, which we can only use if noone else is on the property, even if they are just standing there. A few years back, a local politician who made it to the state gov"t hated anything RC related, because, in his words, we are noisy, messy, destructive, and immature, so he pushed to make it hard to have anything RC related here. He also made it so skateboarders are only allowed at authorized parks. He lived next door to an old RC park here, and was constantly calling the cops on us for ruining his day because of all the noise. Honestly, the biggest reason i dont want a dedicated racer is the added expense. I honestly can't afford to spend $400-$500 anymore, especially on something i am just going to beat on in the woods out back of our property. I am constantly on classifieds, and eBay, looking at used vehicles, and, even used, any of the race vehicles (Team Associated, TLR, Tekno, Habao), are always priced beyond what i can afford to spend. My first two race SCT's were an Arrma Fury, and a Racers Edge Pro2/Team C TS2, both of which i still have. I have also had an Associated SC10 and SC10 4X4 belt drive.

I hear ya. This is definitely not a poor man's hobby. This is a hobby that can make a rich man poor.

Not to interupt but, the Pro4 SC10 is not a rebadged helion dominus (or dominus v2).
I own both and neither they look anything like the pro4 at all.

So I read most of the first page, and skimmed the rest of the thread, so maybe I missed something so let me know if this is right -

you want a SCT basher
You want tough that does not need to be upgraded.
You don't want Arrma or Traxxas.
You don't want a race kit because you worry it will be fragile.

I would strongly suggest taking a look at the Tekno SCT410. Tekno is a real Beefcake among the racers. Arms are built like a brickhouse. Chassis and towers are 7k-grade milled aluminum. Driveline is all proper hardened steel. Shocks are smoooooooooth and strong.

New the kit is $370, so probably about $600 to get it running with all new hardware. If you shop the classifieds on here, Facebook and RCTech, you should be able to pick up an ex-racer, probably mostly RTR, with spares for under $400, or a roller/slider for around $200. I got mine (a SCT410.1) for under $200, and it came with spares, a Tekin motor, decent servo, and a cheap ESC, plus spares and lots of tires.

I also have a Arrma Granite 4x4 (same platform as 3s Senton) Arrma Typhon 6s (beefy basher), a Hobao Hyper SC10e (good but older racer SCT) and a bunch of other RC's. The Tekno is the best build quality, and in about 2 years of running I have only broken ONE part - an axle shaft on my first run (the SCT410.1 used a thin axle, the .3 uses a thicker axle - I swapped in the .3 and have had zero issues). My Tekno is "old reliable" - when I go bashing with the kids, the Tekno is often the only one that makes it to LVC.

Here is my build thread -
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/jerry-rigging-a-sct410.529/

Also, check out THIS post, showing the Tekno arms vs the Arrma 6s vs the Hobao SCT.

So I read most of the first page, and skimmed the rest of the thread, so maybe I missed something so let me know if this is right -

you want a SCT basher
You want tough that does not need to be upgraded.
You don't want Arrma or Traxxas.
You don't want a race kit because you worry it will be fragile.

I would strongly suggest taking a look at the Tekno SCT410. Tekno is a real Beefcake among the racers. Arms are built like a brickhouse. Chassis and towers are 7k-grade milled aluminum. Driveline is all proper hardened steel. Shocks are smoooooooooth and strong.

New the kit is $370, so probably about $600 to get it running with all new hardware. If you shop the classifieds on here, Facebook and RCTech, you should be able to pick up an ex-racer, probably mostly RTR, with spares for under $400, or a roller/slider for around $200. I got mine (a SCT410.1) for under $200, and it came with spares, a Tekin motor, decent servo, and a cheap ESC, plus spares and lots of tires.

I also have a Arrma Granite 4x4 (same platform as 3s Senton) Arrma Typhon 6s (beefy basher), a Hobao Hyper SC10e (good but older racer SCT) and a bunch of other RC's. The Tekno is the best build quality, and in about 2 years of running I have only broken ONE part - an axle shaft on my first run (the SCT410.1 used a thin axle, the .3 uses a thicker axle - I swapped in the .3 and have had zero issues). My Tekno is "old reliable" - when I go bashing with the kids, the Tekno is often the only one that makes it to LVC.

Here is my build thread -
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/jerry-rigging-a-sct410.529/

Also, check out THIS post, showing the Tekno arms vs the Arrma 6s vs the Hobao SCT.
To sum it all up, the only vehicle i said i wont consider is Traxxas. Arrma i am leary of because of my experiences with a V1 Granite and Senton, but, if they had fixed some of the issues i had, then i would consider it, although, one issue i have, with binding diffs, doesn't seem to have been fixed as of yet. I have a very strict budget of $300, so, it has to be that or less. Since i am stuck with that budget, i just went back to a vehicle that i know is rock solid at that price, and bought yet another DHK Hobby Hunter. Since i was able to pick it up cheap enough, i also, just to see how it compares to the reviews i have seen, which are sparse, picked up a brushed IMEX Samurai. I havent ran it yet, but, at the price i paid for the pair, and knowing the Hunter is never a bad choice, i figured this is one time i can afford to gamble a little. Now if only i could find the back half of an ECX Circuit, Torment, or Ruckus for an experiment, my SCT issues would be solved. I need the entire back half of an ECX ((metal diff and idler gears, rear upper and lower arms, hubs and axles to see if they will work on my Arrma Fury. If i can help it, i dont want to buy yet another complete chassis, just for the parts not to work, and it end up in a box. I already have 5 chassis thrown in a box that didnt work. Or, at the very least, find some CVA/CVD's with 83-85MM shafts that will work on it. So far, after more than a year of searching, no luck yet.

EDIT: One thing i forgot to address. Its not that i think kits are fragile, its that i get tired of either having to make adjustments every time something bends or has to be replaced, or, having to set everything in the first place. Take this past weekend for perfect example. I crashed my Losi 22S hard, and busted the nose all up. All i have to do to fix it though is replace 3 parts. If that would have been my Fury, my RE Pro2, or my Associated SC10, i would have been replacing the front bulkhead, as well as new upper links, and possibly steering links, which would mean putting the links together, attaching them to the vehicle, and then adjusting them. With the 22S, even if i broke a link, i just pop on a new one, and don't have to adjust anything. Its that adjusting and fiddling on race vehicles that i lost interest in a long time ago. If i could find fixed links that would fit the Fury and the Pro2, the adjustable links would have been gone long ago.

Last edited:
I have looked at several used Helion Dominus on eBay the last year, but never pulled the trigger because i had heard they were shut down.
Hello just reading your post, in RE: to the Helion Dominus , the FS Racing 1/10 Marauder is exactly the Same under the Skin 100%
I know because I had both ?

I have heard nothing but great things about the Hunter, should be a great truck! Maybe the best truck in the DHK lineup. Only negative is parts support. Seems they are hard to find these days, I only know of china web shops that sell them. A few years ago, there were several USA on line sources, and two LHS near me that sold DHK, but they seem to have gone away.

I have heard nothing but great things about the Hunter, should be a great truck! Maybe the best truck in the DHK lineup. Only negative is parts support. Seems they are hard to find these days, I only know of china web shops that sell them. A few years ago, there were several USA on line sources, and two LHS near me that sold DHK, but they seem to have gone away.
Wasn't Hobby People the US distributor for DHK before they went out of business?

Hello just reading your post, in RE: to the Helion Dominus , the FS Racing 1/10 Marauder is exactly the Same under the Skin 100%
I know because I had both ?
Not 100%, maybe 98%, the Dominus chassis is slightly longer than the Maurader if my memory serves me correctly, the motor mount is different and the suspension pins and mounts are different, the Maurader just uses screw in style like the Traxxas Slash where as the Dominus uses actual pins with e clips and has aluminum mounts.

Last edited:
I have 3 of them now, as well as a V1 Raz-R, a Wolf 2 buggy i turned into a monster buggy, a Cage-R and a Raz-R 2. The Hunter that i frankensteined (i have a build thread on here of both my Wolf 2 monster buggy, and my frankensteined Hunter) is my goto 4X4 most of the time. My only complaint is that they dont make a 2WD SCT, and trying to mod a Hunter to run 2WD failed miserably.
Wasn't Hobby People the US distributor for DHK before they went out of business?
There is a place in Mckinney, TX, RC Hobby Explosion, that carries all the current vehicles, except the Zombie 8E, which has been out of stock for awhile now. He also carries all the parts, is pretty cheap, and extremely fast to ship. The only time i ever need parts though, is when i decide to turn one of my vehicles into something else.

I have a couple videos on YouTube that show me bashing both the Hunter and the Wolf 2 on both a BMX track, and at a skate park, and as hard as i have ran them, nothing has actually broken yet. I did more damage to my Losi 22S in one day, than i have done to my Hunter the entire time i have owned it, and the Hunter gets used a lot more. I have also owned the Hunter a year longer than the 22S.

I like RCHobbyexplosion. I have a Hunter (DHK) and love it. They carry the parts needed to keepo him going. I have owned the Hunter for years and have yet to break anything. A friend of mine has the tekno sct and says the same as most peple said, that iot takes a beating and holds up well.

That sounds right. But my local HobbyTown picked up DHK after than. They mostly had the Zombie and bigger 1/8MT (name slipped my mind). I was bugging them about the Hunter, they finally said they had ordered some, then the next time I went by, they were have a GOOB sale... :(

That sounds right. But my local HobbyTown picked up DHK after than. They mostly had the Zombie and bigger 1/8MT (name slipped my mind). I was bugging them about the Hunter, they finally said they had ordered some, then the next time I went by, they were have a GOOB sale... :(
Maximus? Zombie 8E? Crosse? Those are next on my list, once i win the lottery.

Back