4s/6s upgrade , traxxas vs team associated

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Currently have a rival mt10 and a bigrock. The mt10 is more of my kids, dosnt get run as hard as often. But i just love the fit and finish and how it drives vs my bigrock. Have had to add quite a bit of money to get the bigrock where i want it. Kind of to the point where i could have gotten a traxxas maxx or mt8. Which brings me to the point of my question. I am considering selling the bigrock, and getting somthing a little bit bigger/powerfull .I narrowed it down to the mt8 or the maxx v2. What would you pick.. and or just keep the bigrock and keep modding it

Last edited:
I personally would go Maxx. It comes out the box with the wide kit on it. What are you looking to do. Guessing beating the heck out of it.😉🤣🤣... associated is more built around racing. IMO. If your bashing onwould go Maxx V2 100%
I got old school associated.. not really built for bashing IMO

I dont bash nearly as hard as you guys on here. Mostly just play in the field with the kids and hit small jumps. No pavment or concrete. But the bigrocks suspension and steering was poop out of the box, and i do not like the slipper clutch

I'm the same way @Caleb90 , I don't bash hard, but once in a while I let them stretch their legs out at the sand dunes. :cool:

I’d go with any 6s Arrma. Typhon handles best and is the fastest, but Kraton, Outcast, Notorious are awesome for hard off-road bashing and stunts. I like them because they’re as rugged as can be, especially the EXB line. And I gotta tell you, once you go 6s you’ll never look back. Whatever you choose, have fun.

Thought the arrma chassi's bent easy? Plus i am not to happy with my current arrma. Maybe the 3s and 6s line is different

3s and 6s are totally different. Yes, sometimes you can bend the chassis with massive sends and bad landings with the 3mm chassis. The 4mm EXB is more rugged, and there are bomb proof ones available in the aftermarket. That said, if you bend the chassis on an Arrma 6s then you might be totally destroying a lesser truck with the same hit. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve heard the Maxx is pretty durable too but I’ve no experience with them.
Once, with my Mojave EXB I lost control of it at 57 miles per hour, briefly cartwheeled and barrel rolled down the road and launched off a steep bank and smacked a tree hard while still airborne. I was sure half the truck was going to be toast but all it did was crack the body in a couple places. I was shocked. That was by far the gnarliest wreck I’ve ever had with a RC and incurred zero damage to the actual truck. Your results may vary, but I don’t have anything but good things to say about them.

Hmm will have to look into them. I really dont think i need any thing faster, as the 3s stuff is plenty fast. Just not happy with the build quality

MT8 is rated and designed as a 4s or 6s platform. You'll need to upscale your battery inventory for the MT8, Caleb. MT8 seems like it is flying under the radar, so to speak. Have not read any reviews on them. But in all honesty, have not gone looking for any either. I lack the wide-open run spaces 4s-6s power packages excel at.

It is a big platform. Having seen your videos of the kids running the MT10, looks like you have plenty of room for a big truck.

Agree, Team Associated is a race oriented manu. That has always been their strong suit. The MT10, and now the MT8 seems an anomaly offer. Looking like the MT8 is based off the MT10 platform, so perhaps with the MT8 they are putting out a second feeler to the bashing community. I'd want to see a variety of reviews before I'd recommend the MT8 over an Arrma. Not selling AE short, I've owned plenty, and they are a solid company. Bashing has just not been their bailiwick to date.

Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

MT8 is rated and designed as a 4s or 6s platform. You'll need to upscale your battery inventory for the MT8, Caleb. MT8 seems like it is flying under the radar, so to speak. Have not read any reviews on them. But in all honesty, have not gone looking for any either. I lack the wide-open run spaces 4s-6s power packages excel at.

It is a big platform. Having seen your videos of the kids running the MT10, looks like you have plenty of room for a big truck.

Agree, Team Associated is a race oriented manu. That has always been their strong suit. The MT10, and now the MT8 seems an anomaly offer. Looking like the MT8 is based off the MT10 platform, so perhaps with the MT8 they are putting out a second feeler to the bashing community. I'd want to see a variety of reviews before I'd recommend the MT8 over an Arrma. Not selling AE short, I've owned plenty, and they are a solid company. Bashing has just not been their bailiwick to date.

Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'
I agree entirely. I love my AE stuff, and also my Losi rigs, but they are both made to excel on a track, which they do. They are not bashers unless you don’t mind replacing parts every 1/2 pack or so. The 6s Arrmas are a totally different animal, even when compared to their 3s or 4s cousins. They run great on 4s as well when you don’t want to stretch their legs quite so much. I would highly recommend them. And while you’re rolling your eyes (expected) I would like to say that I’m not a die-hard Arrma fanboy. I have Arrma, AE, Losi, and Traxxas rigs and can enjoy them all in different aspects, running them in the way they do best. But for hardcore bashing, I’m Arrma all the way. Plus, if you do decide to get a 6s Arrma and only run it on 4s they are not only still plenty fast but quite under stressed at that point. Do all the research, and decide as you may. We all do, lol. Whatever you decide, it’s all about the fun.

Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'
The research i have done into ae is that they like to drop a new rig and after a year or two they discontinue it and parts are hard to come by. Thus making me hold off on the mt8. I hope they continue to support the mt10
I agree entirely. I love my AE stuff, and also my Losi rigs, but they are both made to excel on a track, which they do. They are not bashers unless you don’t mind replacing parts every 1/2 pack or so. The 6s Arrmas are a totally different animal, even when compared to their 3s or 4s cousins. They run great on 4s as well when you don’t want to stretch their legs quite so much. I would highly recommend them. And while you’re rolling your eyes (expected) I would like to say that I’m not a die-hard Arrma fanboy. I have Arrma, AE, Losi, and Traxxas rigs and can enjoy them all in different aspects, running them in the way they do best. But for hardcore bashing, I’m Arrma all the way. Plus, if you do decide to get a 6s Arrma and only run it on 4s they are not only still plenty fast but quite under stressed at that point. Do all the research, and decide as you may. We all do, lol. Whatever you decide, it’s all about the fun.
I dont bash like you guys do, but my ae rival mt10 has been awsome out of the box. Other than the servo saver stripping from me playing with it, the only stuff I've done to it was by choice. Like diff fluids and esc program. The bigrock i can't say the same for

I dont bash like you guys do, but my ae rival mt10 has been awsome out of the box. Other than the servo saver stripping from me playing with it, the only stuff I've done to it was by choice. Like diff fluids and esc program. The bigrock i can't say the same for
Like I said, the 6s Arrmas are a totally different beast. Do you know anyone in your area who has any? It would be really cool if you could go put one through its paces, look at the construction and components, and experience it for yourself. Your location is listed as Upstate. I’m assuming NY? Southern VT is a bit of a drive, but you’re welcome…

Stopped at my local shop to pick up the bell crank for my rival today. They had a kraton 6s out and i checked it out.. can't believe how much bigger they are compared to the 1/10 scale units. Deff way better build. They didnt have a mt8 in stock and they didnt have a maxx out for me to check out. Parts for the maxx seem to be cheaper as its considered a 1/10 scale.

I think, because of the Rival MT10/Pro4 SC10 being leftover Helion RCs with Associated stickers on them, somebody asked the question in one of the forums about if, and where the MT8 originates. I have not seen much about the MT8 platform. I don't go looking either. Team Associated, looks like to me, is trying to get a piece of the "basher" market. I was a Team Associated fanboy, and still hold them close in my heart, but they are branching out/evolving in a way that I'm not used to seeing from the so called "Area 51 Design Team". When I saw the discontinued Helion Avenge 10MT , and Helion Avenge 10SC platforms (Helion brand started by Losi Jr. 😳) reappear a couple years later with Rival & SC10 names on them, my respect for "Area 51" dudes went out the door.

Since you already have monster trucks, and now want something 4S/6S capable... I'd suggest/recommend a 1/8 scale monster truggy for a new driving experience.

Last edited:
The maxx v2 is a decent truck. It's fit/finish is like most of arrma's though, sloppy at best. It's built to be a basher, so tight steering, close tolerance fitment of parts is not anything you will find on it.

On 4S, the maxx v2 in stock form isn't bad, but the esc is hit or miss it seems. Many replace it with something better like the hobbywing max8 or similar 1/8th 150A 3S-6S esc and run 4S in it with the stock motor.

I got the maxx when it was a v1 last year. Sold off the motor/esc/tires, installed the wide kit and I put a mamba monster x/1515 2200kv system in it before ever driving it. Added arrma backflip LP's on traxxas 8671 wheels shortly after. With the extra grip of the backflip lp's, I broke a rear axle and twisted both pretty bad by the 3rd pack... on 4S. I got the cvd's for it and went to 6S not long after. To try and make it a bit less twitchy on 6S, over the winter, I got the v2 chassis/rollbar/skidplate/center shaft and another unbreakable body for the longer chassis... then I threw in a spare 4092/1650kv I had.

I also have the a v2 e-revo I got as a v1 in 2016 and since got a v2 roller to run 6S in it, outcast 6S I got back in 2018 and a kraton exb I got last November from my wife for Christmas.

Out of all of them, the kraton exb is the easiest to drive hard and one of the toughest (after throwing a $125 M2C chassis and $25 rear tower brace on it). It wasn't bad out of the box, but for what I do (lots of big air), I wanted to beef it up before I taco'd the chassis and bent drive shafts/chassis braces.

If you want something tough as nails and tight tolerances, tekno has some really nice platforms. If you just want a high speed 6S basher that's pretty solid out of the box, the kraton exb is nice. If you want something to be closer in size to what you have now, the maxx v2 isn't bad with a few key upgrades for durability.

The maxx v2 is a decent truck. It's fit/finish is like most of arrma's though, sloppy at best. It's built to be a basher, so tight steering, close tolerance fitment of parts is not anything you will find on it.

On 4S, the maxx v2 in stock form isn't bad, but the esc is hit or miss it seems. Many replace it with something better like the hobbywing max8 or similar 1/8th 150A 3S-6S esc and run 4S in it with the stock motor.

I got the maxx when it was a v1 last year. Sold off the motor/esc/tires, installed the wide kit and I put a mamba monster x/1515 2200kv system in it before ever driving it. Added arrma backflip LP's on traxxas 8671 wheels shortly after. With the extra grip of the backflip lp's, I broke a rear axle and twisted both pretty bad by the 3rd pack... on 4S. I got the cvd's for it and went to 6S not long after. To try and make it a bit less twitchy on 6S, over the winter, I got the v2 chassis/rollbar/skidplate/center shaft and another unbreakable body for the longer chassis... then I threw in a spare 4092/1650kv I had.

I also have the a v2 e-revo I got as a v1 in 2016 and since got a v2 roller to run 6S in it, outcast 6S I got back in 2018 and a kraton exb I got last November from my wife for Christmas.

Out of all of them, the kraton exb is the easiest to drive hard and one of the toughest (after throwing a $125 M2C chassis and $25 rear tower brace on it). It wasn't bad out of the box, but for what I do (lots of big air), I wanted to beef it up before I taco'd the chassis and bent drive shafts/chassis braces.

If you want something tough as nails and tight tolerances, tekno has some really nice platforms. If you just want a high speed 6S basher that's pretty solid out of the box, the kraton exb is nice. If you want something to be closer in size to what you have now, the maxx v2 isn't bad with a few key upgrades for durability.
Also, bear in mind that short wheelbase Arrmas don’t suffer from the bent chassis thing nearly as much. I agree that the Kraton 6s is a fantastic basher, but the SWB Typhon, Notorious, Outcast don’t really need a chassis upgrade unless your name is Kevin Talbot. Especially if you get the EXB variants.

Ya my local place just posted that.. i wont be buying for a while if i do

Also, bear in mind that short wheelbase Arrmas don’t suffer from the bent chassis thing nearly as much. I agree that the Kraton 6s is a fantastic basher, but the SWB Typhon, Notorious, Outcast don’t really need a chassis upgrade unless your name is Kevin Talbot. Especially if you get the EXB variants.
If i go arrma i will go kraton. Outcast notorious look very short and possibly tough to control

Back