12T 550 motor getting hot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For bearings if you want to use grease Racetec Speed Cream is what I use in bigger bearings. In smaller bearings or any bearings that are gonna turn at really high RPMs like motor bearings I use something like Acer Sin Lube. If you use grease you should only pack one half of the bearing and let the grease spread around inside. If you pack it full like you would a car bearing it wont spin very freely and will generate too much excess heat.

I've never used the basic traxxas charger and I havent ran on NiMh packs since the 80s but 4A on a 3000mAh NiMH packs sounds too high. Which Traxxas Charger are you using? Is it this one?
View attachment 133340
Yes it is this one

Yes it is this one
Personally I would switched to running lipos. Youll get much better performance and run times but regardless of whether you go lipo or stick with NiMH you need a proper charger. you're gonna burn that NiMH pack up fast charging it at 4A like that if you havent already. Id get a charger like THIS. It will charge NiXX and LiPo packs either one. If thats not in your budget we can recommend cheaper chargers but that one you wont have to worry about replacing. At least not unless you get really really into the hobby.

Personally I would switched to running lipos. Youll get much better performance and run times but regardless of whether you go lipo or stick with NiMH you need a proper charger. you're gonna burn that NiMH pack up fast charging it at 4A like that if you havent already. Id get a charger like THIS. It will charge NiXX and LiPo packs either one. If thats not in your budget we can recommend cheaper chargers but that one you wont have to worry about replacing. At least not unless you get really really into the hobby.
Wouln't really want to buy things yet, but if I have to I have to. By any chance is there some secret way to lower the amps on the included charger? And I'm going to stick to NiMh (for now) but may get a NiMh with more mAh.

Wouln't really want to buy things yet, but if I have to I have to. By any chance is there some secret way to lower the amps on the included charger? And I'm going to stick to NiMh (for now) but may get a NiMh with more mAh.
Its not adjustable. You need to buy a proper charger or just get by the best you can with what you have.

I'm going to stick to NiMH for now, know anything about traxxas 4amp ez peak charger? Seems like you can lower amps on it? its 59€ where I live so it wont break the bank completely

I'm going to stick to NiMH for now, know anything about traxxas 4amp ez peak charger? Seems like you can lower amps on it? its 59€ where I live so it wont break the bank completely
Personally I think its junk compared to other chargers out there around the same price plus 59GBP is over priced. I see it online for $60USD which is just under 44GBP. Having said that it would work.

You can get the Hitec RDX1 Mini AC which is a better more capable charger for $47USD/34.37GBP

Personally I think its junk compared to other chargers out there around the same price plus 59GBP is over priced. I see it online for $60USD which is just under 44GBP. Having said that it would work.

You can get the Hitec RDX1 Mini AC which is a better more capable charger for $47USD/34.37GBP
Can't seem to find it in the stores around here, and wouldn't want to purchase things outside this country (at least not outside EU). But know anything about SkyRC e450 Charger? A lot of SkyRC chargers around

Can't seem to find it in the stores around here, and wouldn't want to purchase things outside this country (at least not outside EU). But know anything about SkyRC e450 Charger? A lot of SkyRC chargers around
SkyRC's are decent. I have one that I bought years ago. Still works, but I don't use it anymore.

Guess I'll look into SkyRCs then, they're like the only thing around too sadly. Also is 5000 mAh the most for NiMh batteries?

Guess I'll look into SkyRCs then, they're like the only thing around too sadly. Also is 5000 mAh the most for NiMh batteries?
Biggest one i think I've ever seen is 4200mah so if thats a legit rating then its probably the upper end.

See if you can find this SkyRC charger. The one you linked will work but its no better than the Traxxas one.

https://www.skyrc.com/Charger/S60_Charger

Biggest one i think I've ever seen is 4200mah so if thats a legit rating then its probably the upper end.

See if you can find this SkyRC charger. The one you linked will work but its no better than the Traxxas one.

https://www.skyrc.com/Charger/S60_Charger
Agree with Wolf here. I didn't look at that e450. Yeah, that is a turd. Get one that has a digital display and allows you to change the settings at least man.

That one will work but its limited to 4S. If you ever make the switch to lipo you may find yourself having to replace it for one thats more capable.

Can you find one of these?
https://www.skyrc.com/Charger/iMAX_B6AC_V2_Charger
Can find it for 65€, I see some people are saying that the AC powering system isn't the best on these, is the DC input fine then? lots of ways for me to get 12V DC to power it

Can find it for 65€, I see some people are saying that the AC powering system isn't the best on these, is the DC input fine then? lots of ways for me to get 12V DC to power it
I have the AC version and the DC version although I havent used them much in over a decade. I bought these as cheap entry level chargers a long time ago and I never had any issues with them when I used them. That being said they are cheap Chinesium chargers and 65 pounds is waaaaaaay to much for those imo. You can buy those from Banggod for $40 USD or about 29 pounds

https://uk.banggood.com/IMAX-B6AC-8...3.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=47184&rmmds=search

Shipping prices will get ridiculous, plus they might throw in customs which could be another 50eur. There really aren't many chargers around for some reason, just a ton of batteries

Shipping prices will get ridiculous, plus they might throw in customs which could be another 50eur. There really aren't many chargers around for some reason, just a ton of batteries
Shipping to the US is only $6 USD I wouldnt think it would be much more than that to the Europe but i could be wrong. IDK about customs thats not an issue in the US.

All I can tell you is look for something that is at least 60W or higher and can do up to 6S. Otherwise to pick up the SkyRC charger you posted earlier and just be prepared to replace it one day if/when you find yourself unhappy with it or you find you need a more capable charger.

Shipping to the US is only $6 USD I wouldnt think it would be much more than that to the Europe but i could be wrong. IDK about customs thats not an issue in the US.

All I can tell you is look for something that is at least 60W or higher and can do up to 6S. Otherwise to pick up the SkyRC charger you posted earlier and just be prepared to replace it one day if/when you find yourself unhappy with it or you find you need a more capable charger.
Can't find nothing around here, gonna give banggood a go then, ever tried this https://www.banggood.com/HTRC-C240-...harger-p-1242905.html?cur_warehouse=CZ&rmmds= ?