12T 550 motor getting hot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImBored

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Do you need some kind of cooler for 12T 550 Traxxas motor? Everytime I run it its getting hot to the touch, everything is completely stock and running the included 8.4V (I belive it is) NIMH battery, or am I maybe going too hard on it? :playful:

Brushed motors like these are known to heat up quickly and don't last long. My advice would be to invest in a brushless system and run it on 2s if it is the inexpensive RTR version and I'm sure it is with the brushed motor.
With that being said, be prepared for other parts to fail but that's sadly the nature of the hobby.
Brushless however is the only way to go unless it is a crawler and there is some really nice brushed systems for that.

Brushed motors like these are known to heat up quickly and don't last long. My advice would be to invest in a brushless system and run it on 2s if it is the inexpensive RTR version and I'm sure it is with the brushed motor.
With that being said, be prepared for other parts to fail but that's sadly the nature of the hobby.
Brushless however is the only way to go unless it is a crawler and there is some really nice brushed systems for that.
It's a brushed Traxxas Slash 4x4, I like the brushed system as it is and I'm a little bit scared to run LiPo batteries due to their hazards that can occur.

Well, then be prepared to replace the motor every once in awhile. Brushed motors in anything but crawlers just dont last very long.

One thing you might check is are the bearings all lubed? Go through your rig and make sure everything is moving freely. Any excess binding is going to put a load on your motor and cause excess heat.

You said everything is stock. Does that include tires? A lot of people new to the hobby will change tires and not realize they are changing their drive ratio by putting tires of a different diameter on. Putting a bigger tire is similar to installing a taller (bigger) pinion. These will both cause excess heat in the motor by putting more load on the motor while turning the tires. Just an fyi in case.

As far as your LiPo concerns, a lot of people are scared to go to LiPo's in the beginning. But all it takes is to learn the proper way to charge and store your LiPo's, and you have nothing to worry about. A LiPo will give you warning signs long before it decides to go up in flames. They will start swelling. And even when they are swollen like a balloon they aren't likely to just spontaneously flame up. It is usually while charging or using a damaged LiPo where you will see flameouts. Common sense and a bit of education is all you need to be safe using them.

Well, then be prepared to replace the motor every once in awhile. Brushed motors in anything but crawlers just dont last very long.

One thing you might check is are the bearings all lubed? Go through your rig and make sure everything is moving freely. Any excess binding is going to put a load on your motor and cause excess heat.

You said everything is stock. Does that include tires? A lot of people new to the hobby will change tires and not realize they are changing their drive ratio by putting tires of a different diameter on. Just an fyi in case.

As far as your LiPo concerns, a lot of people are scared to go to LiPo's in the beginning. But all it takes is to learn the proper way to charge and store your LiPo's, and you have nothing to worry about. A LiPo will give you warning signs long before it decides to go up in flames. They will start swelling. And even when they are swollen like a balloon they aren't likely to just spontaneously flame up. It is usually while charging or using a damaged LiPo where you will see flameouts. Common sense and a bit of education is all you need to be safe using them.
Yes, it does include stock tires, as far as bearings lubed, I haven't checked those yet but there is a sound like something has gotten into a gear somewhere when rolling it by hand (haven't looked into that yet), what bearing lube do you guys use?

It's a brushed Traxxas Slash 4x4, I like the brushed system as it is and I'm a little bit scared to run LiPo batteries due to their hazards that can occur.
Like the others said, theyre gonna get hot and the motor likely wont last that long. Milage varies. some people burn em up in weeks and some people get em to last for a year. The Titan 12T is a cheap disposable motor. You can run a smaller pinion on it which will lower temps a bit but motors are going to get hot. You need an infrared temp gun to see if the motor is normal hot or too hot. You can't tell by touch alone. I wouldnt run it over 165F. dropping pinion size will make it run cooler, youll gain low end torque but youll loose a little top end speed. Otherwise just run it till it burns up and replace it.

Ait, guess ill have to move over to brushless system, after all, oh well.
Also had the included 3000mAh NIMH battery give up after maybe 10 mins of use and when charging it got hot (charger turned off due to battery getting too warm) and it took a good hour to cool down that's not normal, is it?

Yes, it does include stock tires, as far as bearings lubed, I haven't checked those yet but there is a sound like something has gotten into a gear somewhere when rolling it by hand (haven't looked into that yet), what bearing lube do you guys use?
I pull my bearing and wipe them down with a towel with WD40 on it. I like my bearings to be basicslly dry when I put them back in. If you have any excess lube on them, dirt and grit will collect there. It is just best to do that with all the exposed joints and moving parts of your vehicle.

You can however pull the seals on the bearings and replace the lube in them. Any regular bearing grease will do. Mobile Synthetic is what I use. Put a little dollop of grease on the pad of your palm below your thumb and pull the edge of the bearing through it to pack them, rotating the bearing each pass. Repeat until you see grease coming out the other side. There are YT vids on how to pack bearings, and there are vids on how to remove and reinstall the little seals.

Not sure I followed what you're trying to say exactly but yes its normal for NiMH packs to get hot when in use and they should be cooled down to room temp before charging.

Not sure I followed what you're trying to say exactly but yes its normal for NiMH packs to get hot when in use and they should be cooled down to room temp before charging.
It was cooled down to room temp before charging, but I wouldn't think it gets hot enough for charger to turn off right? It didn't even fully charge. Or Is the traxxas included charger one of them things you use once or twice and get rid of it?

...when charging it got hot (charger turned off due to battery getting too warm) and it took a good hour to cool down that's not normal, is it?

I use a lot of NiMh batteries. I always have 4 on the charger. I have never had one get hot. Warm, maybe if it is an old one. But never hot. Are you charging it with a hobby grade charger? Or are you charging it with a USB type charger? Does the charger allow you to change the charge rate?

I use a lot of NiMh batteries. I always have 4 on the charger. I have never had one get hot. Warm, maybe if it is an old one. But never hot. Are you charging it with a hobby grade charger? Or are you charging it with a USB type charger? Does the charger allow you to change the charge rate?
It is the 4 amp 12V charger that comes with traxxas and I don't think it allows to change charge rate.

For bearings if you want to use grease Racetec Speed Cream is what I use in bigger bearings. In smaller bearings or any bearings that are gonna turn at really high RPMs like motor bearings I use something like Acer Sin Lube. If you use grease you should only pack one half of the bearing and let the grease spread around inside. If you pack it full like you would a car bearing it wont spin very freely and will generate too much excess heat.

I've never used the basic traxxas charger and I havent ran on NiMh packs since the 80s but 4A on a 3000mAh NiMH packs sounds too high. Which Traxxas Charger are you using? Is it this one?
ML4A-4amp-DC-Charger-Render.jpg

Last edited:
a 550 titan has bearing really wow.. darn why did i install a set when it comes with them.a brushed motor is going to get hot.. a nimh will get warm..you will need to get a new 12 sometime..since its not rebuildable but I'm sure some will say it is..

Agreed. 4A on a 3000mAh pack will generate some heat.

I pack all my bearings just like I do 1:1 cars. I am curious about this because I have never noticed one get hot because I packed too much in. But I have only ever done this a handful of times when I had a bearing go bad and I threw an old one in to replace it after cleaning and lubing.
a 550 titan has bearing really wow.. darn why did i install a set when it comes with them.a brushed motor is going to get hot.. a nimh will get warm..you will need to get a new 12 sometime..since its not rebuildable but I'm sure some will say it is..
Not even sure what you are on about dude? Who mentioned motor bearings? Or did you do your typical thing and not read the replies and are just making poop up to stir up poop about? Please explain. And please try to make sense.

Hes doing his usual BS of not reading for comprehension.

No one mentioned motor bearings only drive line bearings to make sure that there wasn't extra drag being produced in the drive line causing the motor to get hotter than normal. smdh. Everyone know the Titan 12T is a sealed motor and not rebuildable.

As long as you read up on Lipo batteries and follow the directions for the care of them, they are just fine.
The brushed system as I say, will heat up and again they don't last long.
There are several awesome storage techniques that guys use and are very much willing to share their knowledge of them.
I would really consider the brushless system and Lipo batteries. Running the brushed system will definitely mask the cars full potential.
The 4x4 slash is an incredible rig that really needs to stretch her legs and she will with a brushless system and Lipo batteries.

Agreed. 4A on a 3000mAh pack will generate some heat.

I pack all my bearings just like I do 1:1 cars. I am curious about this because I have never noticed one get hot because I packed too much in. But I have only ever done this a handful of times when I had a bearing go bad and I threw an old one in to replace it after cleaning and lubing.
Not saying the bearing wont work but the more grease you put in the bearing the more resistance you'll have to it spinning. More resistance equals more heat. More heat is always bad. Its the same reason you dont pack diffs completely full of grease. Just put enough to lubricate it

Not saying the bearing wont work but the more grease you put in the bearing the more resistance you'll have to it spinning. More resistance equals more heat. More heat is always bad. Its the same reason you dont pack diffs completely full of grease. Just put enough to lubricate it
I have never heard that about bearings. Have always packed them full.

Last edited: