1 speed or 2 speed?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtGhost08

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
is it better to have a 1 speed trans or 2 speed? i heard some people say that the 2 speed is not as good because the car can sometimes get stuck is second? is this true?

It depends on what its used for. 1 speed is lighter and simpler but 2 speeds gives the RC more speed. I have trucks with both and have never had a problem. The key is getting a quality RC. What RCs are you looking at?

its the tornado s30

I had a Redcat aftershock with a 2 speed trans and didnt have any problems with it. People tend to have problems when the 2 speed has revers. You should be ok with that buggy.

Not 100% sure what that rig is, but typically you want either a slipper or a center diff. When you get something without either, you tend to blow diffs, axles and spurs because of the lack of energy absorption from a landing.

Most MT's have 2 or more speed transmisions with a slipper.
Most 1/8 buggies have 1 speed with center diff.

Some have both, like the revo (center diff is an upgrade and the slipper is built in to the trans).

For on-road, not having either is ok due to the lack of jumping.

For offroad though if your choice is 2 speed without slipper or diff, or 1 speed with slipper or diff, I'd go with the 1 speed just from a durability aspect.

I'd advise against the 2speed on the Tornado S30.. I've heard a few success stories with it, but most have probs with it at some point. Mine lasted a while, then started hanging in 2nd.. There's a design flaw there somewhere, but I couldnt find it.. I'd tear it down, clean and relube, reasseble and it's go again for another tank or 2, then do the same thing.. I must of had it apart 4 times before I switched to the single speed.. Havent had a problem since, and w/o a radar gun you wont notice the speed difference.. My theory is, if you drive the buggy in relatively clean environment or on pavement, the tranny may shift forever, but if your run in sand or mud, it'll "probably" start failing at some point.. Plus, if you ever think ya might race it, you'll want the single speed for that too.. Good luck and if ya do get the Tornado, do a search in here for Redcat and find the threads I posted about the "0" ring trick in the front wheel drive cups.. (It'll keep the dogbones from getting lost) :)

I wouldn't recommend anything more than a single speed transmission for a buggy. The engines are powerful enough that they can get up to really impressive speed without need the second gear.

thanks for the tips guys. this helped a lot