What did you print today??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NIICE!! I like using the RBG puck lights making lanterns and such like that.

I did find this weekend that the dremel with a stainless wire wheel on it works very well for cleaning up PETG prints. They got a little stringy when I printed 4 at once and the wire wheel cleaned it right up.

Printed this last night and forgot to turn on supports so it goofed the end of the print. Test run for sizing so just a quick print with 0 infill. Also think I need to dry my filament. Printed in Transparent PETG because I didn't feel like swapping it for black last night. Going to be painted anyway.
PXL_20221012_150911761.jpg
PXL_20221012_150918080.jpg

Currently printer is doing work while I'm at work.

Screenshot_20221012-075343.png

I may have made a bigger project for myself lol.

I printed the hood, grill and a fender last night. Thinking it's probably closer to 1:12 than 1:10. So initially I was going to just write it off, but after leaving it on the bench while I was working on my computer and looking at it more and more and think I might be scratchbuilding a CJ-7 or 5, he has files for both.

PXL_20221013_011232241.jpg

Been a project I was meaning to tackle for awhile now, so last night I modeled this up and printed it. Works great. XT60 cable hanger for all my charge cables. It clamps to the lip on top of my Kennedy roll-around.
20221014_082426.jpg

20221014_082908.jpg

Oh I will be driving this little guy by tomorrow.. Just ironing out the steering linkage length as I switch the electronics over to main chassis V9.. It took a few revisions to get the steering geometry correct so there is no bump steer and the bell cranks provide plenty of steering throw.. Speaking of steering , those little bellcranks are sitting next to a 1mm drill bit with an 1/8 shank so show the scale ..
20221014_102215.jpg
20221014_102546.jpg

Decided to take a shot at some printed 1.9 beadlocks. Printed one face while I was at work, been having some adhesion issues so I just set it to do one to start. Came out ok, first coat of high build primer drying, printing the lock ring and back for it currently.

PXL_20221018_010512549.jpg
PXL_20221018_011251908.jpg

Last night I printed a servo relocation bracket to get the servo in a spot where the steering linkages don't interfere with travel. Installed the battery tray I printed the day before and got a 3rd coat of primer on the wheel I printed yesterday. I think a couple more coats of high fill primer and a coat of satin black with the lug nuts painted silver will get them looking sharp.

Battery tray will get painted before final install.

They hold the tire better than I expected when I assembled one this morning.

PXL_20221018_130059576.jpg
PXL_20221018_130031544.jpg
PXL_20221018_130018532.jpg
PXL_20221018_125802665.jpg

I like what you did with the battery tray. Wheels lookin' good too. :)

Battery tray started out frustrating because I printed it and test fit it in the stock rear mount location and when I cycled the suspension I had lost almost an inch of travel. Almost crushed it and threw it in the trash, walked away for about an hour and came back. Figured out that if I mounted it like I did above the frame instead of in it a full sized pack would fit without replacing the rear cross member and it accomplishes what I wanted of bringing the front down so the top of the trans is clear.

I think I can do a little more work with the wire brush and the dremel to clean the wheels up more. I'll see what this one looks like once I get a coat of satin black on it. Although I do have a satin brown that might work well with the truck. I have 4 more printing while I'm at work.

What plans do have for this one?

Going to print the other half of the front tomorrow after I make some adjustments to the printer. The file almost maxes out my printer volume and there was an issue at the very top I created when I installed a light that I didn't catch until the printer went nuts because it got stuck at the very top.

The body was split into 3 parts but I had to split each of those parts to make them fit the printer so now it's 6. The front 2 and rear 2 are about 12 hours of printing each and the center sections are about 9 hours each.

I'm kind of in this "I'll try anything" mode with the printing right now so I'm doing a lot of "let's see how this goes" prints. If the second half prints ok and I'm happy with it I'll start the process of smoothing it.

I work in the offroad business and I've also had the thought of building a "converted ambulance" style overlander or a flatbed with the van front.

At this point a lot of my 3D printing is playing with ideas and learning how to get the best results. I have a box of stuff that I may come back to or may just get thrown in the trash at some point.

I'm also printing some stuff that will go in a box until the weather really goes bad for the season and I spend more time indoors. The van body will need a bit of sanding and prep lol, I also should have removed the door handle before printing to make sanding easier then just attach some after. Live and learn.

I have mirrors, wipers, a fuel filler, and several other things for the Sport body to install. May do some of that tomorrow since I plan on taking it out Sunday and testing the printed wheels after I get the tires today.

Heres my filament sample collection and holder. Great way to compare colors and prints.
View attachment 154718View attachment 154719
View attachment 154720View attachment 154721

I need to do something like that. I was really happy with how the Overture PLA +/pro printed and how well it holds up. I've been using their PETG in several colors and a couple of the transparent and it seems to hold up well.

The wheels I just did are in their PETG.

My first print was a little windmill at the beginning of the summer and so far it has survived multiple 100°F plus days without deforming at all, we will see how it holds up to the cold this winter.

I need to do something like that. I was really happy with how the Overture PLA +/pro printed and how well it holds up. I've been using their PETG in several colors and a couple of the transparent and it seems to hold up well.

The wheels I just did are in their PETG.

My first print was a little windmill at the beginning of the summer and so far it has survived multiple 100°F plus days without deforming at all, we will see how it holds up to the cold this winter.
Grey sent me a roll of Overture to try, and I have to say I am pretty impressed with it. It lays down really smooth compared to other filaments I have used. But the best I have printed with is VO3D brand. Somehow the top layers on it are the smoothest I've seen.

Back