What did you print today??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grey sent me a roll of Overture to try, and I have to say I am pretty impressed with it. It lays down really smooth compared to other filaments I have used. But the best I have printed with is VO3D brand. Somehow the top layers on it are the smoothest I've seen.
I like overtures standard PLA but the pro doesn't like overhangs near as well as their regular .. My go to here lately has been ziro PLA pro.. I have been really impressed with their transparent and fluorescent colors.. just got 8 fresh spools in last week.. I put a spider all metal hot end on one of my creality machines to print higher temp materials. The machine I put it on was previously my .4 nozzle workhorse , so I dusted off a stock Creasee Cs-20 and made a couple small changed to my hot end fan and duct design for that machine and its going to be my .4 nozzle Pla machine for now .. I printed the hot end shroud and cooling duct out of red Ziro PLA pro on my .8 nozzle machine .. For a test after the spider hot end install I printed up a pair of TPU 4 rib buggy tires I designed for the 1/24 buggy .. I intend on casting them out of silicone but until I get the molds made TPU it is!!
20221024_192003.jpg
20221024_192020.jpg
20221024_192316.jpg

I like overtures standard PLA but the pro doesn't like overhangs near as well as their regular .. My go to here lately has been ziro PLA pro.. I have been really impressed with their transparent and fluorescent colors.. just got 8 fresh spools in last week.. I put a spider all metal hot end on one of my creality machines to print higher temp materials. The machine I put it on was previously my .4 nozzle workhorse , so I dusted off a stock Creasee Cs-20 and made a couple small changed to my hot end fan and duct design for that machine and its going to be my .4 nozzle Pla machine for now .. I printed the hot end shroud and cooling duct out of red Ziro PLA pro on my .8 nozzle machine .. For a test after the spider hot end install I printed up a pair of TPU 4 rib buggy tires I designed for the 1/24 buggy .. I intend on casting them out of silicone but until I get the molds made TPU it is!!
View attachment 154726View attachment 154727View attachment 154728
Nice, I have a spool of TPU but haven't felt like messing with it yet.

Printing another set of wheels with more negative offset to get some poke. Past where it decided to stop printing last night so hopefully I can mount a pair up when I get home for some comparison.

Need to remember to order some more stainless wire wheels and brushes for the dremel. Works so well for cleaning up PETG.

Screenshot_20221025-114618.png

I've been using mostly Eryone, eSun, and Overature. Overature is hard to beat for the price imo. I like some of Eryones colors but I've been learning more toward Overature and eSun as of late. I liked Hatchbox too although I've only used 1 roll of it.
Well there 2 days of printing down the drain o_O

20221024_174226.jpg

This was Sunday's print. Passenger side of the body. Not sure if this project will go anywhere or not. The light rack is actually part of the rack I printed for the wife's Scout and the lights are my first print from a quick cad drawing because I didn't like the size of the premade ones I was finding. I would call them a marginal design with a pretty rough print as I had some setting issues. If the van keeps going though it will definitely get one of those bars on it.

Should have run it through mesh cleanup first, most of those bumps are actually in the file and I missed it when I was cutting it in half. Went back into it and looked close and there they are. They are thicker points not bubbles so they will sand out.

PXL_20221025_031605425.jpg

I've been using mostly Eryone, eSun, and Overature. Overature is hard to beat for the price imo. I like some of Eryones colors but I've been learning more toward Overature and eSun as of late. I liked Hatchbox too although I've only used 1 roll of it.
Well there 2 days of printing down the drain o_O

View attachment 154764

That is one of the few problems I've not really had much of yet. Probably just jinxed myself.

Printed another set of wheels with a little less backspacing. Nothing major although I'm happy enough with how these are turning out that I think I'm going to mess with the file and make them a little deeper yet. Think I may paint these white.
PXL_20221026_132503148.jpg

First set.
PXL_20221026_042757011.jpg

New set.

PXL_20221026_042738279.jpg

The next two pics are the lights I drew up. I literally spent 20 minutes in Tinkercad making them so I could see how they fit. 24mm OD light buckets, originally for the light bar setup going on the wife's scout but I tacked a pair on the bumper of the TRX and I liked the look. .

First run was a marginal design with a poor print, holes for the screws were hand drilled in a hurry so a little uneven. Was playing with the foil as a reflector, plan to hit the plastic I used for lenses with some matte clear paint to see how it works.
PXL_20221026_132353158.jpg
PXL_20221026_132401409.jpg

First print of the redesign. Not finished and I need to get the wire brushes for the dremel to really clean them up but I think this will work. The little "Pacman" is the cover for the back. Insert 5mm LED, apply dab of hot glue to seal and hold the LED in and stick the cover on before it hardens.

Need to get some paint on them to really see how I like them but overall not unhappy with the design. Sometimes the trivial little stuff can be really enjoyable.
PXL_20221026_132421570.jpg
PXL_20221026_132435591.jpg

Very nice.

Finally sorted out my printer Monday night, was getting a temp sensor error and instead of messing with stuff I decided the original hotend had some miles on it and was pretty nasty from some of my earlier printing mistakes so I swapped my spare in. Did some normal checks and lubing while I had things apart and she is printing well again.

Since the weather has changed suddenly, possible lowland snow in the preliminary forecast for next week. It was 80° just a couple of weeks ago, I have to paint inside which takes a little more setup than painting on my back deck. So I've been kind of holding off painting until I was at a place I had a bunch of parts to paint.

So I've been toying with this lighting protect and decided to try some lenses on the printer. First run was 1.5mm thick but I think tonight I'll run it down to .5mm, print them at a .1 layer and see how it works. Printed with all concentric patterns and ironing on the top layer. I like the effect. We'll see how much of a difference in opacity the 1mm difference makes but these are more a form over function piece currently. Just a cheapo 5mm led at this point. I think they have potential. I also was thinking on my way to work this morning about a different cover piece for the back. Probably a more squared off piece like some of the bigger real world lights have.

I'm thinking paint the bucket white, mask the front and paint the back black, then the rings that hold the lens red or another accent color. Trying to figure out if I can color the exposed sides of the lens a yellow or orange to give it some flavor.

The lenses were also kind of a trial for printing taillight and marker light lenses for projects now that I've figured out how to easily makes a lens that fits perfectly in Tinkercad using "hole" parts.

Anyway, trying to be better about documenting things so pic intensive.

All PETG.

The light rack for the Wife's Gen 8 was what started the whole thing and I think it will work well. She doesn't want me to do any finish work on the rack because she's sure she is going to break it lol.

PXL_20221102_132206258.jpg
PXL_20221102_131947825.jpg
PXL_20221102_131910962.jpg
PXL_20221102_132000315.jpg
PXL_20221102_131853317.jpg
PXL_20221102_040116481.jpg
PXL_20221102_040059990.jpg
PXL_20221102_040043262.jpg
PXL_20221102_040020459.jpg

Last edited:
Cool lights!
Thanks, it's one of those projects that started as a "can I" and has snowballed a little from there. I'm pleased with the lenses and I have transparent red as well to make some inserts for my rear bumper. Also ordered a box of different color 5mm leds to play with this weekend. What I really need to do at this point is clean them up more than just breaking the brims off and get some paint on them to see how they look before I mess with the design any more.

Printed my front bumper revision last night. Truck is a mess between figuring out weight distribution and rewiring all the lighting. Plus my soldering iron dies so all the electrical is very temporary.

Top is the first design I ran. Has taken a beating and held up.

New design has the wings to wrap the fender added back on. Integrated holes to mount the lights on the bumper, and integrated light locations in the bumper itself. Haven't done any cleanup other than breaking off supports and brims. Try to get it cleaned up and a coat of paint on it tonight.

The rear is getting some adjustments made and hopefully will be on the printer tonight.
PXL_20221108_144042878.jpg
PXL_20221108_144154828.jpg
PXL_20221108_144209547.jpg
PXL_20221108_143935958.jpg
PXL_20221108_144034188.jpg

Knew there was a reason I liked you.. I did this for halloween window decor.. The glow filament worked nice!
20210923_083251.jpg

Last edited:
Knew there was a reason I liked you.. I did this for halloween widow decor.. The glow filament worked nice! View attachment 155229
The Danzig print is too cool! Now Ima have to order me some glow in the dark filament so I can print something like that too! :)

Back