Picking new truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all new guy here! Thinking about getting back into rc cars again. About 20 years ago i had a traxxas rustler, it was reliable but they werent that quick back then battery life sucked and so didnt waiting for them to charge. Then about 12-15 years ago i bought a budget duratraxx overdrive st( still have it but can't find parts) that thing gave me a bad taste in the mouth about rc cars and gave up. Now that i am getting older and the cars/trucks have gotten much better, i am considering another. But i have no clue what to look for. I know traxxas and losi are good brands and i keep seeing this arrma brand but dont know any thing about them. Is electric the way to go now adays? Or is nitro still reliable? I'm looking for a truck/truggy id like some thing 4x4 if i can find it in my price range (400 bucks) if not no biggie. Any insight is much apreciated

400 bucks is a tight budget. Maybe the Arrma 3s blx line would be a good choice. You'll need a couple of Lipo packs and a charger, and some basic tools too.

Nitro is unreliable compared to electric nowadays.

stampede vxl 4x4. lipo = more run time faster charges but has its bad things also.read read read and then again

Welcome to the forum! The Arrma Granite 3s is great at $370 with no LiPo or charger. A LiPo and charger will set you back another $100-$150.
You got two choices bud look at armma Granite or the Traxxas stampede. Can get both trucks under 400. And get get them where ever.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/67054-1stampede4x4

https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-...kIzTnI2VYUNjIUt24l8h75a3a4CzvH-RoCQQoQAvD_BwE
The brushed Stampede is slow and underpowered, I don’t recommend it, any 1/10 or larger 4x4 running on a single brushed motor isn’t the best.

Don't have any experience with Traxxas rigs but I own 7 Arrma's and they are some great rigs. If you want a monster truck that's a wheelie machine and flips great and does about 50mph go with the 3s Arrma Granite. If you want something a little less wheelie and flip crazy and more stable I'd suggest the 3s Bigrock. Another great option is the 3s Typhon buggy if you want something more suited for flatter ground and better handling or even the Senton which is a SCT. Also theres the newer Vorteks. Here's a couple videos of my Granite and Bigrock and the Vorteks. Also if you want to browse my videos there's other videos of the Granite and Bigrock but upgraded and running 4s.
Granite
Bigrock, and also the Granite and Vorteks
Vorteks

Another vote for Arrma!

Go on YouTube and check out the tons of reviews on Arrma and Traxxas vehicles.

$400 is a tight budget for a car and battery with charger. Honestly I’d wait and save a little more money to buy something worth the wait. A Traxxas Maxx is a great first truck for someone getting back into the scene. It’s fast, reliable and durable. But you get what you pay for. I hate buyting things because my budget doesn’t fit. I’d be patient and do some research and get what you want. Just saying I’ve settled before and it doesn’t turn out well

Welcome to the forum! The Arrma Granite 3s is great at $370 with no LiPo or charger. A LiPo and charger will set you back another $100-$150.

The brushed Stampede is slow and underpowered, I don’t recommend it, any 1/10 or larger 4x4 running on a single brushed motor isn’t the best.
Opps that was supposed to be the BL version.. sorry @Caleb90 below is the BL verision.. @pug just for you man. I wouldn't suggest a brushed.. there's no point unless it's for a little kid ...

https://m.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/stampede-4x4-vxl-tsm
$400 is a tight budget for a car and battery with charger. Honestly I’d wait and save a little more money to buy something worth the wait. A Traxxas Maxx is a great first truck for someone getting back into the scene. It’s fast, reliable and durable. But you get what you pay for. I hate buyting things because my budget doesn’t fit. I’d be patient and do some research and get what you want. Just saying I’ve settled before and it doesn’t turn out well
I agree with saving and get what you really want. But NO one knows how to do that anymore.. its always hurry I need it NOW!!!

Last edited:
Whats the word on the rival mt10? The granite does look nice aswell. I know I'm keeping my budget tight, but I'm trying not to spend a fortune right out of the gate. As i am not sure if i will take to it and stick with it.

Whats the word on the rival mt10? The granite does look nice aswell. I know I'm keeping my budget tight, but I'm trying not to spend a fortune right out of the gate. As i am not sure if i will take to it and stick with it.
Tell tour self what ever you need to help you sleep at night bud.. but once you jump there's no coming back.and then this happens 20+ yrs later
16423917328577392629005199916869.jpg

I would stay with Traxxas or Arrma. They are supported by most hobby shops and have proven platforms that don’t go away in 5 minutes. $400, believe it or not, is tight budget these days. Anything brushed you will be looking for a brushless upgrade afterabout 1 battery pack, and making a thread about it on this forum.

If buying brand new save a little more coin and get one of the 3s Arrmas and the best charger you can afford. If possible get the truck at a local hobby shop. They will be more likely to help you after the sale then coming in their store with something bought online. Sometimes if you come in with cash they will give you a better deal than if you pay with a card. Stay away from the traxxas or spektrum charges and batteries. (Just my opinion...) You can get far better on line with a little bit of reading about them. Plenty of good chargers and batteries out there.

Another route is used. I bought an Arrma Outcast 6s for $400 that had maybe one pack thru it and it came with a battery and charger. Came with the box and still smelled new. It was being sold local on Craigslist by someone that the hobby just did not appeal to. Of course you get no warranty or hobbyshop support but save a lot of money.

I don’t know about the rival mt. I’m sure it’s fine but it would not be my first choice. Others might think it’s the best ever though...
Good luck!

I would stay with Traxxas or Arrma. They are supported by most hobby shops and have proven platforms that don’t go away in 5 minutes. $400, believe it or not, is tight budget these days. Anything brushed you will be looking for a brushless upgrade afterabout 1 battery pack, and making a thread about it on this forum.

If buying brand new save a little more coin and get one of the 3s Arrmas and the best charger you can afford. If possible get the truck at a local hobby shop. They will be more likely to help you after the sale then coming in their store with something bought online. Sometimes if you come in with cash they will give you a better deal than if you pay with a card. Stay away from the traxxas or spektrum charges and batteries. (Just my opinion...) You can get far better on line with a little bit of reading about them. Plenty of good chargers and batteries out there.

Another route is used. I bought an Arrma Outcast 6s for $400 that had maybe one pack thru it and it came with a battery and charger. Came with the box and still smelled new. It was being sold local on Craigslist by someone that the hobby just did not appeal to. Of course you get no warranty or hobbyshop support but save a lot of money.

I don’t know about the rival mt. I’m sure it’s fine but it would not be my first choice. Others might think it’s the best ever though...
Good luck!
100% agree with stay away from traxxas and spectrum smart batteries. Just over priced paper weights.. Definitely better lipos out there.. thats a dam good deal you got on the outcast bud... the only problem with the guys at the hobby shop is ½ to ¾ of them are just idiots.and have no clue. They only know how to sell you what you want to hear and what they have. Everyone is opinionated about there favorite RC vehicle/Brand. It's all about personal preference and haven fun bashing racing crawling wrenching... 👍👍

thats a dam good deal you got on the outcast bud...
it sat on CL for 500$ for a week or so. I offered the guy 400$ over the phone and he said come get it. Like a 1 1/2 hour drive but was worth it. He was an older guy like myself and he thought he and his boy would use it more. He was a really nice guy and showed me his motor cycles, cars and dogs. We liked all the same stuff, was there for and hour...
It was before all the covid nonsense so things were maybe cheaper then and more plentiful.

it sat on CL for 500$ for a week or so. I offered the guy 400$ over the phone and he said come get it. Like a 1 1/2 hour drive but was worth it. He was an older guy like myself and he thought he and his boy would use it more. He was a really nice guy and showed me his motor cycles, cars and dogs. We liked all the same stuff, was there for and hour...
It was before all the covid nonsense so things were maybe cheaper then and more plentiful.
Thats awesome

Stopped at my local shop today, they had all the traxxas models in and arrma. They also had the rival mt10 in stock. The rival mt10 seems like the best bang for the buck for me, i can buy the complete kit with the charger and battery for around 400 otd. The granite was 350, then they were recomending the smart charger batt combo for 112. The traxxas models were out of my price range

Stopped at my local shop today, they had all the traxxas models in and arrma. They also had the rival mt10 in stock. The rival mt10 seems like the best bang for the buck for me, i can buy the complete kit with the charger and battery for around 400 otd. The granite was 350, then they were recomending the smart charger batt combo for 112. The traxxas models were out of my price range
Hey Caleb. Welcome to the forum. I own and bash a MT10 and will say all manner of good things about it. Great runner on 2S. Tough too. 3S capable out of the box, but it is a handful. 2S will bring loads of fun.

Another consideration is the Arrma Vorteks 3S. Have no experience with it other than the Arrma reputation and it looks good.

Cheers. 'AC'

Back