Traxxas Transmitter Swap out for Spectrum

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerksies

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm just getting back into RC. My wife got me a Traxxas Rustler VXL for christmas. I really dislike the stock transmitter. When i was last into RC about 15 years ago i was using a JR 75mhz radio and i really liked that radio. Today everything is 2.4gHz which was just starting to come around when i stopped years ago.

I am looking to swap out the radio system for a Spectrum DX5. My concern is with the ESC on the traxxas it's only two connections for the receiver the speed control and the Servo. From my previous knowlege it should work.

Yep the spektrum receiver would fit right in. ESC in ch2. Servo in ch1 of the receiver.
Just when you get the new radio, recalibrate the ESC with it.

Yep the spektrum receiver would fit right in. ESC in ch2. Servo in ch1 of the receiver.
Just when you get the new radio, recalibrate the ESC with it.
ESC Setup Programming (Calibrating your ESC and transmitter)

Read through all of the programming steps before you begin. If you get lost during programming or receive unexpected results, simply unplug the battery, wait a few seconds, plug the battery back in, and start over.

1. Connect a fully charged battery pack to the ESC.

Instruction Icon

2. Turn on the transmitter (with the throttle at neutral).

3. Press and hold the EZ-Set button (A). The LED will first turn green and then red. Release the EZ-Set button.

4. When the LED blinks RED ONCE, pull the throttle trigger to the full throttle position and hold it there (B).

Instruction Icon

5. When the LED blinks RED TWICE, push the throttle trigger to the full reverse and hold it there (C).

6. When the LED blinks GREEN ONCE, programming is complete. The LED will then shine green or red (depending on low-voltage detection setting) indicating the ESC is on and at neutral (D).

Instruction Icon

So something like this?

Its Bind new radio to receiver
Then calibrate esc (you have correct instructions)

I'm just getting back into RC. My wife got me a Traxxas Rustler VXL for christmas. I really dislike the stock transmitter. When i was last into RC about 15 years ago i was using a JR 75mhz radio and i really liked that radio. Today everything is 2.4gHz which was just starting to come around when i stopped years ago.

I am looking to swap out the radio system for a Spectrum DX5. My concern is with the ESC on the traxxas it's only two connections for the receiver the speed control and the Servo. From my previous knowlege it should work.
The DX5 will work but for $280 Id be looking at a Futaba or Sanwa radio personally. :2cents:

I swapped my stock radio out for the DX5 and things went perfectly. I tweaked a few things and my truck is running better.
Just as simple as opening up the reciever box and replacing it? Any problems with wiring or antennas?

Just as simple as opening up the reciever box and replacing it? Any problems with wiring or antennas?
I had to trim down the traxxas connectors so they could fit in the receiver. They had this tab that needed to be removed, it was easily trimmed with a razorblade. The antenna was much shorter then the stock one, it just barely fit out of the receiver box. I was able to test the range and i was about 100 feet from me which is about my average distance and i didn't see any radio issues.

This radio is way better then the stock one. I fixed so many issues with throttle response and servo centering and servo turning

Back