X's SCX24 Deadbolt ☢️

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
I've had my Deadbolt for quite some time now, and with the exception of brass wheel weights, it's been completely stock. I've been recently been on a micro rc crawling kick, and now I'm ready to give this mini might a bit of love it deserves!

I've recently picked up a 1/18 FMS Atlas. This is a 6x6 power wagon, and it is a fantastic crawler! One of the reason this rig is such a great crawler has to do with the soft rubber compound of the tires.

The other day, it occurred to me: what if the SCX24 sported the noticeably larger Atlas tires/wheels? It could look pretty awesome! Although the Atlas is proclaimed as 1/18 and the SCX24 is proclaimed 1/24, the Deadbolt is sporting oversized tires.....and it looks like it could fit. Only one way to find out.
They fit just fine, and they look awesome on the Deadbolt! It added extra, down low weight to the and widen the stance by a few mm. But, will it perform well? Heck yeah! It really increased the crawling performance of the Bolt!
I search the internet and found these tires for $5/pr. Perfect! It's now on its way. Also, found a set of 4 aluminum 1.0 beadlock wheels from Amazon for $27, which also includes the tires.
Here are the Atlas tires on the Deadbolt
1112211808a.jpg
1112211808.jpg
1112211624.jpg
1112211625_Burst01.jpg

Also got some more brass weights to lower the center of gravity: diff covers, steering knuckles, and hex extensions.
1112211850c.jpg
1112211710_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
The 1.0 aluminum beadlock wheels came this evening. It came assembled with foam inserts. It felt a bit stiff, so I took out the foams.
These wheels/tires weighed in at 20.25g. the stock wheels/tires weighs in at 10.51g. The brass wheel weights, I've been using weighs on at 10.22g. So, the new wheels weighs the equivalent of the stock wheel and brass weight setup.
The new wheels looks great on the Deadbolt! It added 3mm to the width of the stance. The tires without the foam inserts feels really soft, so I have it a quick climbing test. The tires are actually really good! Highly recommended!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DXX7PV...abc_VG4EXW6G0HQDMJ8ZE2YA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
1113211928.jpg
1113211928c.jpg
1113211901b.jpg
1113211901a_Burst01.jpg

The 1.0 aluminum beadlock wheels came this evening. It came assembled with foam inserts. It felt a bit stiff, so I took out the foams.
These wheels/tires weighed in at 20.25g. the stock wheels/tires weighs in at 10.51g. The brass wheel weights, I've been using weighs on at 10.22g. So, the new wheels weighs the equivalent of the stock wheel and brass weight setup.
The new wheels looks great on the Deadbolt! It added 3mm to the width of the stance. The tires without the foam inserts feels really soft, so I have it a quick climbing test. The tires are actually really good! Highly recommended!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DXX7PV...abc_VG4EXW6G0HQDMJ8ZE2YA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Now look what you made me buy! 🤣

Did you happen to see Little Guy Racing Parts just released a wicked cool light bar that bolts into the stock roll bar?

https://littleguyracingparts.com/products/deadbolt-60mm-bar-mount-stock-cage
View attachment 136523
That is super cool, but I think that'll add more top weight than I would care for. I'm actually very content with the super bright lights on the bumper.

Now look what you made me buy! 🤣
You're welcome! 😉

The wheels come preassembled, but with only 3 screws out of 6 installed. I read a review where one reviewer said a preinstalled screw head broke off on him, when he tried to unscrew it. The screws are on there kinda tight. When I took them off, to remove the foams, I was very careful in doing so. I just applied very slow, steady pressure to get them to break free.

Last edited:
That is super cool, but I think that'll add more top weight than I would care for. I'm actually very content with the super bright lights on the bumper.
By the time you remove the stock lights and add the Little Guy lights there wouldn't be any noticeable weight. It's a 3d printed housing and an LED light strip.

Ok, popped the new Atlas tires on my green deadbolt (thanks for the tip @Xraycer ). They are a nice soft rubber and had no problem popping them on a different set of beadlocks.

Here they are (on the right) next to my Injora Super Swampers.
PSX_20211115_192241.jpg

PSX_20211115_192355.jpg

I left the foams in for now but I have to give them a try soon, they look and feel pretty good, and at a reasonable price. :)

Ok, popped the new Atlas tires on my green deadbolt (thanks for the tip @Xraycer ). They are a nice soft rubber and had no problem popping them on a different set of beadlocks.

Here they are (on the right) next to my Injora Super Swampers.
View attachment 136695

View attachment 136701

I left the foams in for now but I have to give them a try soon, they look and feel pretty good, and at a reasonable price. :)
These stock Atlas tires are a hidden gem, and they're only $5/pr!

I bought two sets of 1.0 aluminum beadlocks, off Amazon, and neither of those fit the Atlas tires. The Atlas tires are just a little bigger in the inner diameter 🙁

I really wanted these tires on the Bolt, so I'm using the stock Atlas plastic wheels. Since these wheels don't allow the use of brass wheel weights, I've added lead strips to the wheels to increase the weight by 30g/wheel! Although I couldn't use the brass wheel weights, it did accommodate brass knuckles. So, plenty of up forward weight!
The Bolt is now a much heavier, crawling beast! We'll wait and see how long that stock motor will last.
1121211347.jpg
1121211438a.jpg
1121211443d.jpg
1121211444b.jpg

I've been really putting quite a bit of thought into going all out with this rig. It's going to be all about performance and not just throwing a bunch metal parts at it.
Today, I added RC4WD Mud Slingers and pressed metal steel wheels to it. I turned the wheel into the deep dish configuration. Combined with the brass hex extensions, it sits with a significant spread. Also, weird the new steel wheels, it has also put on significant weight. Luckily, all down low.
1218212122_Burst01.jpg
1218212123.jpg
1218212124.jpg
1218212126b.jpg
1218212134.jpg

Last edited:
Back