WPL C14 - Old Project Back From the Storage Bin

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I have a couple more orojects to tackle then I am putting this all together. The new 3d printed frame rails are done. Just need to print a new electronics tray and assemble everything now.
That sounds awesome, wish I was proficient enough with computers to use a 3D printer I’d be forever making stuff!!!

That sounds awesome, wish I was proficient enough with computers to use a 3D printer I’d be forever making stuff!!!
Anyone can use them. It does have a slight learning curve, but there are idiots running 3d printers. I mean complete morons. There is software out there that is super simple to model stuff up, and the program that turns the model into a printer program is pretty easy to setup.

Anyone can use them. It does have a slight learning curve, but there are idiots running 3d printers. I mean complete morons. There is software out there that is super simple to model stuff up, and the program that turns the model into a printer program is pretty easy to setup.
I’m a gears and oil kind of person, I may look into it one day but for now I will stick to being a grease monkey bud haha 😂

Been awhile since I updated this. Last up was printing some custom frame rails and painting them to match the body. I finally got the paint work done, and reprinted a new electronics tray and servo brackets. Here are the assembly pics so far.
20210827_065648.jpg

20210827_065659.jpg

Servo is mounted in a little more optimized location I think 😉
20210827_065949.jpg

20210827_070038.jpg

This is the rear bumper I printed awhile back.
20210827_070236.jpg

20210827_070227.jpg

And I repainted the roll cage black. I will probably end up painting the electronics tray and rear bumper to match.
20210827_071803.jpg

20210827_071917.jpg

So after all the redesigns and 3d printing and aftermarket parts, the only thing left WPL on this will be the body 🤣

All 3d printed parts...
20210827_073220.jpg

Prolly much higher quality now :)
Things fit better, that's for sure. I went ahead and ordered some aluminum wheels, which should be here in a few days. They just left Los Angelas.
Screenshot_20210827-082028_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Looking forward to see this thing completed and running. Still loving that color scheme!

Looking forward to see this thing completed and running. Still loving that color scheme!
I ordered these wheels a few weeks ago, then decided to add the black. Kinda wish I had ordered black wheels now.

Last edited:
Alas, I hit another snag. I have m2.5x12 and m2.5x16 screws, and I need m2.5x14. So going to have to order more stuff.

Never fails! :doh:
I am just letting my OCD get the better of me. I could use the 16mm screws, but they would either be hanging out inside the chassis, or I would have to cut and grind 8 of them down. Just too lazy to do that.

I am just letting my OCD get the better of me. I could use the 16mm screws, but they would either be hanging out inside the chassis, or I would have to cut and grind 8 of them down. Just too lazy to do that.

I'm a big fan of doing it right. :)

Been awhile since I updated this. Last up was printing some custom frame rails and painting them to match the body. I finally got the paint work done, and reprinted a new electronics tray and servo brackets. Here are the assembly pics so far.
View attachment 131682
View attachment 131684

Servo is mounted in a little more optimized location I think 😉
View attachment 131685
View attachment 131686

This is the rear bumper I printed awhile back.
View attachment 131687
View attachment 131688

And I repainted the roll cage black. I will probably end up painting the electronics tray and rear bumper to match.
View attachment 131689
View attachment 131690

So after all the redesigns and 3d printing and aftermarket parts, the only thing left WPL on this will be the body 🤣

All 3d printed parts...
View attachment 131691
Wow!! man that looks awesome.. that printer blows my mind every time. That you show a printed part you did..well done sir👍👍.. I'm also a big fan of do it right the first time.. and then there's nothing to worry about later.. cutting the screws really doesn't take much effort use dremel or just grind down 😉🤣.. with the wheels you could always paint the inside lip. And the center circle. So it matches the body paint and pop.. sorry I tried I can't color on tablets or phones 🤣🤣🤣
Screenshot_20210828-110419_Chrome.jpg

Wow!! man that looks awesome.. that printer blows my mind every time. That you show a printed part you did..well done sir👍👍.. I'm also a big fan of do it right the first time.. and then there's nothing to worry about later.. cutting the screws really doesn't take much effort use dremel or just grind down 😉🤣.. with the wheels you could always paint the inside lip. And the center circle. So it matches the body paint and pop.. sorry I tried I can't color on tablets or phones 🤣🤣🤣View attachment 131727
I think the wheels will look ok silver. If not I will try that 😉

So to recap the frustrations with this build...
This is like the 6th time I have tried to mount the axles and links in this truck. Initially I had the stock WPL axles installed, but I wanted a wider track width. I could have just made some hub extenders, but the scrub steer would have been a biyatch on this with these sticky tires. So I ordered MN D90 axles which are like 14mm wider. Then I discovered I needed MN D90 link mounts for the axles. After ordering some I found there was a different set I liked a lot better. After those arrived I found out the WPL aftermarket links wouldn't work, so I odered some MN links. Then the holes in the frame rails were too sloppy, so I printed new rails. I printed them a bit thicker to be sturdier, so now my bolts are too short. Everything is perfect now, so as soon as I get bolts, it is on to the next problem lol.

Back