Wpl B36-3 lack of power problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent moose

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
First time poster here so hello everyone.
Like mentioned the problem is with the B36 wpl after a day with the kids driving in deep mud and very wet grass the truck doesn't feel the same,it makes more noise then normal and doesn't pull it's weight like before meaning it barely goes uphill or thru grass.
Could it be a gearbox problem or something else

I would start by removing the pinion. Then running the motor without the pinion (free spinning, no load). Make sure you didn't damage it. Then roll the chassis on the ground without the pinion. It should roll freely.

It this will tell you if it's the motor, chassis or both. If it's chassis related my thought is it, could be rust or in the bearings dirt/weeds in the gearing. Start pulling stuff apart until you find the offending parts.

Then tell the kids not to run it in the mud. .... Check that, have the kids take it apart and figure out what's wrong with it. It will take you about 5x the time but you'll have fund with the kids and they will learn something.

I would start by removing the pinion. Then running the motor without the pinion (free spinning, no load). Make sure you didn't damage it. Then roll the chassis on the ground without the pinion. It should roll freely.

It this will tell you if it's the motor, chassis or both. If it's chassis related my thought is it, could be rust or in the bearings dirt/weeds in the gearing. Start pulling stuff apart until you find the offending parts.

Then tell the kids not to run it in the mud. .... Check that, have the kids take it apart and figure out what's wrong with it. It will take you about 5x the time but you'll have fund with the kids and they will learn something.
Ok thanks I will try that, my kids are still very young but yes like that they would learn something:)

Last edited:
If it ends up being bearings, I'm sure you can order some from WPL. But you can find replacements for standard sizes pretty easily.

This is one site, that caters to RCs. But you can probably find them on Amazon, local hobby store or McMasters too. Quality and pricing may vary. Fast Eddies has pretty good pricing.

https://www.fasteddybearings.com/?u...=cpc&msclkid=36c76adfc9e0146e91500e9772b5ca27
I don't think it's a bearing most likely the pinion,
so they took this non waterproof truck thru mud and wet grass...I think motor along with all in 1 circuit board has damage..motor is vented so what ever you drive thru goes right into motor and circuit board from what I've seen in pictures online is also open tp all debris
charge battery
get a can of keyboard air blow off motor and circuit boards.might also want to put a drop of oil on brass end of motor to help ube it
Yes that's exactly what they did :( . Just everything works still good it response well to the controller input, the only difference is that it's louder and when I put my foot down it used to be able to climb it, now it just stops and makes noise

I feel more it a transmission thing maybe rip some of the plastic cogwheels, tomorrow if I have time I take it apart

so they took this non waterproof truck thru mud and wet grass...I think motor along with all in 1 circuit board has damage..motor is vented so what ever you drive thru goes right into motor and circuit board from what I've seen in pictures online is also open tp all debris
charge battery
get a can of keyboard air blow off motor and circuit boards.might also want to put a drop of oil on brass end of motor to help ube it

Some of this might help too. It's electronic safe solvent and should get some of the gunk out.
1702070940120.png

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...leaner/crc9/05103?q=electronics+cleaner&pos=0

But if it's been mud bathed and it's not water proof, it's days are probably numbered... And a new motor (with gearbox) is cheaper than the spray.
https://www.wpl-rc.com/products/260-motor-counter-rotating-output-gearbox

Just the motor, but check with WPL to make sure it fits. The WP36 is not listed on this page.
https://www.wpl-rc.com/products/wpl-260-motor-for-d12-d42

I opened the truck and don't see visual damage not in the engine and not the pinion or cogs, keeps having the same problem little uphill and just sits there it doesn't climb it

A video with sound would help us try and guess what the issue is. Most likely, you'll have to inspect the entire drive line in order to narrow down the issue.

Here you have,
Even with a small obstacle in front of the wheels it just slips and make noise and doesn't go nowhere

Check motor pinion for slippage. It is just a press on pinion. Put a drop of crazy glue on the pinion.

Motor pinion looks oke, found some plastic dust in the gearbox so my guess is, that it's worn out to the extent that it slips on the plastic cogs, I'll will buy a new one

Motor pinion looks oke, found some plastic dust in the gearbox so my guess is, that it's worn out to the extent that it slips on the plastic cogs, I'll will buy a new one
Yeah, get the metal gearbox. Make sure it is for your truck. Those WPL transmissions come with different length output shafts for the various trucks.

Since you stop one wheel and they all stop says the back half of the drive train is solid. The motor spins freely. Which means it's probably in the gear box some place. There "might be"a slipper clutch in the gear box. It will be on the spur gear, attached with a nylon nut and have some sort of plate on it. Something like this.

Slipper_clutch_0655.jpg

Since you stop one wheel and they all stop says the back half of the drive train is solid. The motor spins freely. Which means it's probably in the gear box some place. There "might be"a slipper clutch in the gear box. It will be on the spur gear, attached with a nylon nut and have some sort of plate on it. Something like this.

Slipper_clutch_0655.jpg
There is no slipper in WPL.

Back