Wow, is all I can say on my new low priced Losi 1/10, it is crazy good for the money.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The base slash (xl5) has steel adjustable links and full bearings. The ones that has plastic non adjustable links and bushings are the base xl5 bandit, rustler and stampede.
That's a good info. Even though slash is a little more expensive than bandit, stampede, rustler, I think it's worth extra. I never had an issue with front bushings but I had with rear in my first ever rc, stampede xl5. Axles and bushings were so worn from a lot of driving
Actually, in stock form, the Slash isnt a bad truck, as long as its not the very basic, cheapest model, that has fixed plastic links and bushings. As for a cheap way to do it, you can sometimes find Stampede's and Rustler's used in good shape for $100 or less, and, the LCG chassis is $40, the bellcrank you can get on eBay for around $15, and the servo saver is around $5. If you want a stock Slash, you can find the chassis and skidplates on eBay for less than $20 (look for a seller named LumiDave). This Slash started as a Stampede, that i turned into a Slash, and, total i have less than $300 in it: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...wd-to-monster-slash-truggy-conversion.137992/ As for other trucks, it entirely depends on the truck, as some are better than others, but, opinions will vary massively on what is best (perfect example, Bogda89 and i have very different opinions on the Arrma Fury). As @Bogda89 said, another option is to look for something used that parts are still available for, or, another way, but can be more expensive, depending on how its built, look for a slider chassis on eBay, and then add your own electronics, wheels and tires, and body. Using TLR parts, you could also turn your 22S into a capable race truck, or, for around $200, you could pick up a new HPI Jumpshot SC. The first thing you should do though, is find the track you plan on running at, and see what their rules are, because, some tracks are very specific about what you can and can't run. For example, around here, they are very specific about what tires you have to use, and, if it is a spec class, what electronics are required (Traxxas spec and mudboss class, for example, has to be stock XL-5 ESC, stock Titan 12T, and 2S lipo), as well as what transponder you have to use. The last thing you want is to spend the money to build a truck, take it to a track, and find out they wont let you run it. Some tracks and classes also wont let you run the cheap off-brand chinese stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I think arrma fury is an awesome rc, I actually regret selling mine but it does have a lot of weakness.

Pros:
It handles awesome.
I like that is super light weight.
I like the body, seems more durable than slash, and I like the looks.
It was cheap, back in the day I paid only 139$ for mine.

Cons:
Shocks are leaking all the time.
Chassis can snap easily in a place between servo and battery, but arrma realized that and it offered metal skid plate that removes that issue. Side metal reinforcement is not necessary, just the bottom.
Plastic drivetrain, but it's fine if you don't put some ridiculous fast motor.
Brushed motor is dog slow on 2s.
Shock towers especially front one is complex and super flimsy at the same time.
Rear bumper super fragile
Axle hinge pins are unscrewing all the time by itself but other rcs have same problem.
Linkage ball ends popping out very easy compared to all other cars I had.
Price of parts is 2 to 3 times higher than slash
It's not that easy to work on, to replace servo you have to disassemble whole front end but it's not the worst, mini erevo platform is hands down the worst to work on
Tires are good but they don't last long.
I am not sure if that's a problem just with mine but pin on a dog bone broke. I don't bash too hard and never broke either plastic or metal axle on any of my cars

Last edited:
Best is subjective. What one might think is best, another might not, and, how you plan to use it makes a difference as well. For bashing, there are trucks from HPI (Jumpshot SC. In my opinion one of the best 2WD bashers available), Traxxas (Slash), Team Associated (Pro2 SCT), and Losi (22S). For racing, there are trucks from TLR (Team Losi Racing), Team Associated, Serpent and PR Racing.
This thread is exactly what I need. I want to get into SCT bashing, no racing, just fun at the park. I have a small budget, so I'm looking at brushed 2WD. Can I get your thoughts on two 2WD models- the Losi 22s and the HPI Jumpshot SC V2.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-10-22s-2wd-sct-brushed-rtr/LOS03022.html
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-ju...lectric-short-course-truck-hpi160267/p1367095

Also, do you have any other suggestions around the same price range? I was told to stay away from the Arrma Senton 4X2. If I wanted a 4X4, then the Arrma Senton is a good choice, but not for 4X2. Thanks in advance.

That's a good info. Even though slash is a little more expensive than bandit, stampede, rustler, I think it's worth extra. I never had an issue with front bushings but I had with rear in my first ever rc, stampede xl5. Axles and bushings were so worn from a lot of driving

Don't get me wrong, I think arrma fury is an awesome rc, I actually regret selling mine but it does have a lot of weakness.

Pros:
It handles awesome.
I like that is super light weight.
I like the body, seems more durable than slash, and I like the looks.
It was cheap, back in the day I paid only 139$ for mine.

Cons:
Shocks are leaking all the time.
I, oddly, never had that issue, but I used to hear others say it was a problem on theirs, but, none of mine ever have the stock plastic shocks for long anyway.
Chassis can snap easily in a place between servo and battery, but arrma realized that and it offered metal skid plate that removes that issue. Side metal reinforcement is not necessary, just the bottom.
I have never broken a chassis on one, but, I have obliterated quite a few bulkheads.
Plastic drivetrain, but it's fine if you don't put some ridiculous fast motor.
There are many different ways to upgrade the transmission in them. The easiest is using HPI Blitz parts.
Brushed motor is dog slow on 2s.
I can't argue with that one.
Shock towers especially front one is complex and super flimsy at the same time.
Rear bumper super fragile
Axle hinge pins are unscrewing all the time by itself but other rcs have same problem.
The only area here I had real issues with were the hinge pins, so I just do the HD pin upgrade.
Linkage ball ends popping out very easy compared to all other cars I had.
Traxxas Slash and Stampede links are direct replacements for the stock ones, but, currently, I don't remember exactly which ones they are.
Price of parts is 2 to 3 times higher than slash
It's not that easy to work on, to replace servo you have to disassemble whole front end but it's not the worst, mini erevo platform is hands down the worst to work on.
If you take the bottom plate off, the steering isn't too hard to get to. IMHO, the Slash steering is way too exposed. I have a habit of snapping the link between the servo saver and the bellcrank.
Tires are good but they don't last long.
Most RTR 1/10TH SCT tires, at least in my experience, suck.
I am not sure if that's a problem just with mine but pin on a dog bone broke. I don't bash too hard and never broke either plastic or metal axle on any of my cars
I upgraded mine to CVD's (currently, I don't remember from what truck though), because I kept snapping the entire end of the dogbone once I went brushless with them.

This thread is exactly what I need. I want to get into SCT bashing, no racing, just fun at the park. I have a small budget, so I'm looking at brushed 2WD. Can I get your thoughts on two 2WD models- the Losi 22s and the HPI Jumpshot SC V2.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-10-22s-2wd-sct-brushed-rtr/LOS03022.html
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-ju...lectric-short-course-truck-hpi160267/p1367095

Also, do you have any other suggestions around the same price range? I was told to stay away from the Arrma Senton 4X2. If I wanted a 4X4, then the Arrma Senton is a good choice, but not for 4X2. Thanks in advance.
I would be leary of the 22S right now, whenever you see a Horizon product on sale like that, especially one that isn't very popular, they are doing a firesale to get rid of unwanted inventory before they discontinue it. Most of the parts should be available for a while as the Losi Drag car uses the same platform but the short course truck specific parts could become hard to find. Of the 2 I would pick the Jumpshot but I would try to splurge for the brushless model, the brushed models are slow.

Last edited:
I would be leary of the 22S right now, whenever you see a Horizon product on sale like that, especially one that isn't very popular, they are doing a firesale to get rid of unwanted inventory before they discontinue it. Most of the parts should be available for a while as the Losi Drag car uses the same platform but the short course truck specific parts could become hard to find. Of the 2 I would pick the Jumpshot but I would try to splurge for the brushless model.
Compared side by side, the only real difference i have found so far on the Jumpshot, other than the metal diff gears, are the electronics, mainly ESC and motor, and, the Flux doesn't seem to like a lot of hard running on 3S on the stock electronics, even though they are listed as 3S capable. At least, the one my brother has doesn't. Upgrading the V2 to the Flux metal diff isnt all that expensive either, since, for the diff itself, all you have to change is the outer ring gear from the plastic one to the metal one (HPI 160040-$7.99 at A-Main), and then swap the idler (HPI 160042-$7.99 at A-Main) and top shaft gears (HPI 160041-$4.99 at A-Main) to the metal ones. The biggest concern i have with them is how fast the price dropped from just a couple months ago. When i first started looking at them (about 6 months or so ago), the Flux brushless was almost $400, and, now it is less than $300 at most places, and the V2 brushed has dropped well over $140 in 3 months. It might just be that its been out awhile, and they have sold enough to warrant a price drop (i remember when that happened with the Blitz awhile back), or, they are doing yet another Blitz trick and introducing yet another version of the Jumpshot, or, getting ready to drop them all together. Only time will tell. As for the 22S, i have to agree with @Slick2500 , especially since this isnt the first time they have dropped a version of the 22S RTR, with no intentions of bringing it back. When the 22S first came out, they had both a brushed and a brushless version of the SCT, then, they dropped the brushless version, and replaced it with the 22S drag car, and, Losi's own site, as well as almost every other shop site says the are only at that price while supplies last.

Compared side by side, the only real difference i have found so far on the Jumpshot, other than the metal diff gears, are the electronics, mainly ESC and motor, and, the Flux doesn't seem to like a lot of hard running on 3S on the stock electronics, even though they are listed as 3S capable. At least, the one my brother has doesn't. Upgrading the V2 to the Flux metal diff isnt all that expensive either, since, for the diff itself, all you have to change is the outer ring gear from the plastic one to the metal one (HPI 160040-$7.99 at A-Main), and then swap the idler (HPI 160042-$7.99 at A-Main) and top shaft gears (HPI 160041-$4.99 at A-Main) to the metal ones. The biggest concern i have with them is how fast the price dropped from just a couple months ago. When i first started looking at them (about 6 months or so ago), the Flux brushless was almost $400, and, now it is less than $300 at most places, and the V2 brushed has dropped well over $140 in 3 months. It might just be that its been out awhile, and they have sold enough to warrant a price drop (i remember when that happened with the Blitz awhile back), or, they are doing yet another Blitz trick and introducing yet another version of the Jumpshot, or, getting ready to drop them all together. Only time will tell. As for the 22S, i have to agree with @Slick2500 , especially since this isnt the first time they have dropped a version of the 22S RTR, with no intentions of bringing it back. When the 22S first came out, they had both a brushed and a brushless version of the SCT, then, they dropped the brushless version, and replaced it with the 22S drag car, and, Losi's own site, as well as almost every other shop site says the are only at that price while supplies last.
I watched someone speed test the brushed version of the Jumpshot ST it topped off at 16mph so I am willing to assume that the sct is just as slow.

The brushed model is about $215 add ~$23 for the diff gears, ~$50 for a Hobbywing WP10BL60 esc and then another ~$26 for a brushless motor off eBay for a total of ~$314 before tax and shipping. Sure you could cheap out and get one of those Surpass or whatever brand name they are selling under this week Amazon/eBay cheapos but I trust them like I trust a fart after eating Taco Bell. The Flux costs $269 before tax.

Like I said earlier go for the brushless version it's only about $55 more. Imho buying the brushed version of any rc is a poor decision as 9 times out of 10 you end up spending more money upgrading to brushless than what you would have spent buying the brushless version to begin with.

I watched someone speed test the brushed version of the Jumpshot ST it topped off at 16mph so I am willing to assume that the sct is just as slow.

The brushed model is about $215 add ~$23 for the diff gears, ~$50 for a Hobbywing WP10BL60 esc and then another ~$26 for a brushless motor off eBay for a total of ~$314 before tax and shipping. Sure you could cheap out and get one of those Surpass or whatever brand name they are selling under this week Amazon/eBay cheapos but I trust them like I trust a fart after eating Taco Bell. The Flux costs $269 before tax.

Like I said earlier go for the brushless version it's only about $55 more. Imho buying the brushed version of any rc is a poor decision as 9 times out of 10 you end up spending more money upgrading to brushless than what you would have spent buying the brushless version to begin with.
Normally, I would agree with that, but, with the Jumpshot Flux, you're still going to end up upgrading the brushless setup that it comes with, and, you don't have to upgrade the plastic gears in the V2 until they go bad. I'm running my Jumpshot MT on 2S with a HW WP-SC8 and 3900KV cheapo motor, and so far, no diff issues at all. On the Flux, the stock setup seems a bit slow too, even on 3S, and, running in grass and dirt, seems to run hotter than it should stock. On my brothers, we ended up swapping the pinion just to lower temps. It also seemed to have a hard time even after the grass was mowed. Eventually though, I have plans to go way overboard with mine, so, I bought it used knowing what I have planned for it.

I didn't take the time to read all the comments (because I'm tired) but they're now discontinued. That's why they went on sale. I know because I bought the last one at my LHS.

I didn't take the time to read all the comments (because I'm tired) but they're now discontinued. That's why they went on sale. I know because I bought the last one at my LHS.
I would be leary of the 22S right now, whenever you see a Horizon product on sale like that, especially one that isn't very popular, they are doing a firesale to get rid of unwanted inventory before they discontinue it. Most of the parts should be available for a while as the Losi Drag car uses the same platform but the short course truck specific parts could become hard to find. Of the 2 I would pick the Jumpshot but I would try to splurge for the brushless model, the brushed models are slow.

Called it.

What? They must have invented a time machine or something. Next shipment May 2020.

1688839966053.png

can you convert the brushed one to mid-motor by getting the aluminum chassis conversion?
No, I have the the aluminum chassis on my 22s and it keeps the motor in the rear. As stated before, if you want mid motor layout then just get the 22SCT chassis……..then your basically building another truck though right?
That sucks…..I better get parts while I can, or just sell mine while I can!

Last edited:
Back