Wow! Has anyone noticed the latest price hikes by Horizon Hobby?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so used to tuning them out I forgot about them. DOH!
Yeah, I don't even look at the video or pay attention anymore until I see skip ad popup lol.

What are you using?
Desktop, Firefox with uBlock Origin and NoScript. On Mobile can use Snowhaze or AdGuard Pro with Safari. Either of those will ensure zero ads on YT ever. I also use Piholes at home and AdGuard Pro on mobile with lists blocking ~500k ad and social domains. My aim is zero tracking and advertising. It tools a while to get there but it’s 100% now.

I also use Little Snitch on Mac which also use a great tool for blocking all pixels, trackers, beacons, etc.

This isn't really related to the topic of this thread, but is anyone else also getting Horizon ads on YouTube? The only RC ads I've seen are from Horizon (and Spektrum).
Screenshot_20210805-041538_YouTube.jpg

Oh like these lol yup

I think he is referring to the video ads thst play on monetized videos. Your ad blocker won't block those.

And yeah, I get them as well.
Mine does. "Ad Blocker For Youtube" add-on for firefox. The only problem is that the content creators dont generate revenue from you if you're ruinning a pop up blocker so if you care about the channel you may want to support them. 🤷‍♂️

The Losi 8ight T truggy has seen 2 price increases since I bought mine back in October 2020. It went up $70 a couple months ago and then just a few weeks ago saw it go up another $50. Pretty crazy. I’m new to the hobby so maybe the prices were artificially low a year or 2 ago?

The Losi 8ight T truggy has seen 2 price increases since I bought mine back in October 2020. It went up $70 a couple months ago and then just a few weeks ago saw it go up another $50. Pretty crazy. I’m new to the hobby so maybe the prices were artificially low a year or 2 ago?
Traxxas has always been overpriced, and I think Horizon is trying to keep up with them. I know for myself it will cause me to buy less stuff. So I don't really see how jacking the cost up is going to make them more money in the long run from people like me.

Plus there are already cars and kits I would have bought, but there just isn't enough value in them for me. The Granite 3s BLX was one I was on the fence about at $319. After buying one I had considered buying a Typhon 3S as well because the Granite was a little better than expected. But now that they are $369 I am going to have to pass on that one.

Traxxas has always been overpriced, and I think Horizon is trying to keep up with them. I know for myself it will cause me to buy less stuff. So I don't really see how jacking the cost up is going to make them more money in the long run from people like me.

Plus there are already cars and kits I would have bought, but there just isn't enough value in them for me. The Granite 3s BLX was one I was on the fence about at $319. After buying one I had considered buying a Typhon 3S as well because the Granite was a little better than expected. But now that they are $369 I am going to have to pass on that one.
Everywhere across all products have gone up. Since this whole crazy 💩 started around the world these days. And with the Gove telling everyone to stay home for a yr. The world's manufacturers production stopped.. And the price of all products to make other products are threw the roof. And No revenue coming in.. And NO more work force.. With everyone staying home and making more then they were to sit on couch. And won't go back to work till they stop getting free money in the mail box... The companies are trying to make up for the last yrs loss. Because they are paying more to make or produce the same thing that cost 5$ is now 9-15$ . The steal pipe I use at work went up 200% since January and keeps going up. The inflation of everything everywhere is insane and can only get worse before getting better..... Its horribly sad and bad for everyone around the world. On all levels across the board.

I’m 2 months into the RC car hobby and this all has been very informative. So far I have stayed with Redcat with good fortunes.
I am thinking a Redcat Gen8 will be a future purchase for me. Was looking at that Axe version which looks pretty cool. Is it worth the extra $?

Prices went up but you can still use some coupons to bring the price down. I think that's why they did that. Plus everything is made in China. Prices for shipping containers also went up. I read a container use to ship at a fate of $2-3k are now being charged upwards of $20k. So i can see why they raised prices on alot of things.

All the covid restrictions are making it tough for businesses to operate so everything is going through the roof

Knowing that everything is imported, and the political scene being on edge right now, shipping is ridiculous, labor shortages don't help either, with the raise in minimum wage comes price hikes across the board, just to keep things going.

Companies like Horizon who are basically distributers, must cut where they can. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but it is what it is. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the larger scale vehicles get phased out, just due to shipping costs, if you can fit twice as much smaller product in the shipping container, then why not. just my random thoughts, but it is every hobby and industry feeling the crunch, and prices will reflect that.
It has nothing to do with minimum wage going up they raise prices anyway they just Use that for an excuse to raise prices just like when the price of gas going up.

Prices went up but you can still use some coupons to bring the price down. I think that's why they did that. Plus everything is made in China. Prices for shipping containers also went up. I read a container use to ship at a fate of $2-3k are now being charged upwards of $20k. So i can see why they raised prices on alot of things.
Horizon doesn't normally give out coupon codes for their brands. I have never seen one anyway. Maybe they will after these increases. Who knows.

Yes it has nothing to do with minimum wage increase one bit. It has to do with inflation on everything everywhere across the world. And with all the lazy people getting more money then they should from their mailbox. And thinking they deserve the same pay increase to go back to work. Even if they have no experience in the field of work. The minimum wage increase will only effects the boss/owner of the small business. Because it shouldn't be a increase across the whole country.and all fields of employment. That's why they are called a entry level jobs. Not TOP level jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere.sorry if you want more money put in your time and learn something to help you grow in your career. Certification, degree, training course anything to help you grow and get more money.

I am thinking a Redcat Gen8 will be a future purchase for me. Was looking at that Axe version which looks pretty cool. Is it worth the extra $?
According to my “mentor” that’s helping me out, the electronics alone are worth the price.

I'm not completely sold on HW Axe system but it looks decent enough. Couple that with the Reef servo it comes with and Id say the electronics are worth about $300. Looks like the kit is $500 total. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not completely sold on HW Axe system but it looks decent enough. Couple that with the Reef servo it comes with and Id say the electronics are worth about $300. Looks like the kit is $500 total. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I think that statement is just a bit of an exaggeration, but if it were a Horizon truck with some nice Spektrum stuff in it (minus the servo of course) it would be $640. I have been considering either the Axe or the regular Gen 8 for my first 1/10 crawler, and I really don't think either could be a bad choice.

Back