Wimpy 2.8 kg servo? Maybe not...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadCharlieG

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have an Exceed Sunfire that reaches a top speed of 38 mph on 2s using the brushless 380 motor on it. Now I have not replaced the servo. I have not needed to. It's a 2.8 kg servo. Not 28. 2.8 kg. The buggy also has very oversized wheels on it, yet this servo does it's job. It goes in a straight line and centers well.

So why do people tell me I need to upgrade it...?

(Also about the fact I make a lot of posts a day, I just love talking man. :/)

Also, here it is with the oversized wheels. Maybe you recognize them?

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_101704.jpg
    IMG_20210421_101704.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210421_101638.jpg
    IMG_20210421_101638.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210421_101620.jpg
    IMG_20210421_101620.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I mean if you upgraded it you could get one thats probably faster and will feel a little more responsive but in terms of torque to turn the wheels, its fine

Thats probably why is cuz it might be a little less snappy then what others are used to? Hard to say but that would be my guess

Speed really doesn't matter unless you're racing. Just whatever feels good to you. If you want to try upgrading it just to get an idea for yourself look at Savox servos. Thats what I like to use anyway. For high quality servos they are priced reasonably. Get one thats rated about what yours is for torque 2.8kg or 250 oz/in. and look for the fastest one.

In the electronics forum theres a stickied post about servos with all kinds of info in it. You may want to look that over.

After re-reading your question I may have misunderstood it. Servos do have speed ratings. The rating are the fraction of a second that the servo takes to rotate 60 degrees. so a servo with a speed rating of .19 will turn 60 degrees in .19 seconds

Speed really doesn't matter unless you're racing. Just whatever feels good to you. If you want to try upgrading it just to get an idea for yourself look at Savox servos. Thats what I like to use anyway. For high quality servos they are priced reasonably. Get one thats rated about what yours is for torque 2.8kg or 250 oz/in. and look for the fastest one.

In the electronics forum theres a stickied post about servos with all kinds of info in it. You may want to look that over.
Definitely will do that. Thanks

After re-reading your question I may have misunderstood it. Servos do have speed ratings. The rating are the fraction of a second that the servo takes to rotate 60 degrees. so a servo with a speed rating of .19 will turn 60 degrees in .19 seconds
Ohhh, okay that makes sense.

2.8 kg is a weak strength for a rc .. the thing is when you go into any aggressive turn can it hold that line?. if not replace it. but many servo for rtr are way off in specs..

2.8 kg/cm is 250 oz/in. Thats not what i would consider a weak servo for a 1/10 scale buggy. Granted it aint a 500oz/in beast mode servo but 250oz/in is passable. I think the savox I have in my Rustler which also has oversized tires on like his sunfire is 277oz/in and its perfect for that size kit.

2.8 kg/cm is 250 oz/in. Thats not what i would consider a weak servo for a 1/10 scale buggy. Granted it aint a 500oz/in beast mode servo but 250 aint that bad. I think the savox I have in my Rustler which also has oversized tires on like his sunfire is 277oz/in and its perfect for that size kit.
I think I have just noticed the downside though. It doesn't respond fast enough for any cool things I try to do at a skate park. I am going to eventually get a faster servo with slightly more power and notice if it fixes any current problems I have such as the wheels being knocked left and right on bumpy terrain.

Dont get me wrong you'll enjoy having a stronger servo, especially with those oversized tires you have on the kit, and theres no such thing imo as to much torque so yeah I would buy the strongest and fastest servo you can afford and you will definitely be happy with it. torque and speed are a trade off though so you'll have to find a good middle ground.

My only point was just that 250oz/in isnt weak enough in that kit to make me want to try and talk someone in to replacing it. Unless maybe they were complaining about it but if I remember right your original complaint was that people were just telling you that off the cuff.

Dont get me wrong you'll enjoy having a stronger servo, especially with those oversized tires you have on the kit, and theres no such thing imo as to much torque so yeah I would buy the strongest and fastest servo you can afford and you will definitely be happy with it. torque and speed are a trade off though so you'll have to find a good middle ground.

My only point was just that 250oz/in isnt weak enough in that kit to make me want to try and talk someone in to replacing it. Unless maybe they were complaining about it but if I remember right your original complaint was that people were just telling you that off the cuff.
I see.

Back