Why do toy grades exist?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
A lot of toy grade rc cars cost around $50 - $150, at that point, just buy a wltoys, or some other beginner hobby grade rc. Parts are commonly available for hobby grades while toy grades are garbage once broken. Also, most toy grades use non-rechargeable AA batteries. Hobby grade rc‘s use nimh or lipo which lasts longer, and is cheap, and rechargeable.

A lot of toy grade rc cars cost around $50 - $150, at that point, just buy a wltoys, or some other beginner hobby grade rc. Parts are commonly available for hobby grades while toy grades are garbage once broken. Also, most toy grades use non-rechargeable AA batteries. Hobby grade rc‘s use nimh or lipo which lasts longer, and is cheap, and rechargeable.
The whole world is a buy cheap throw it away society. No one cooks but buys fast food. They really dont want to fix something. They want it yesterday and csnt wait one day or even one hour.

As for the aa and aaa, thry do make thos recgargable. Electronics aside, now is a good time to buy non hobby rcs with the advancement in 3d printers.

You need to do a introduction to the forum post bud as well.. so other people will respond to your posts....

As for toy grade rc.. more for the kids.. where parents don't want to drop 150-1000$ on a hobby grade RC.. and they have rechargable AAs... as for the lipos aren't that cheap once you get up in the 6s- 8s- power that's needed for some of today's RCs.. and they are alot more sensitive then any nimh.. another reason why they don't buy lipos.. they need special care and maintenance.. as one can burn down their RC or worse the house... with lipos taken care of wrong. And guys have 1000s in lipos and 1000s in theirs RC car... so it's what ever you can afford and what your looking to do with it the RC... as to how much you want to spend
The whole world is a buy cheap throw it away society. No one cooks but buys fast food. They really dont want to fix something. They want it yesterday and csnt wait one day or even one hour.

As for the aa and aaa, thry do make thos recgargable. Electronics aside, now is a good time to buy non hobby rcs with the advancement in 3d printers.
Well isn't that the God's honest truth.. well said bud👍👍

The rechargeable AA and AAA batteries are only 1.2 volts which is lower than the 1.5 volts of an alkaline battery.

they do make 1.5 rechargable just got to look for them. And what's the mah of the ones your talking about.. Because that's where they count.. not so much the volts because it's a AA battery how much power can they really produce.. its more about the mah with the rechargable ones...

they do make 1.5 rechargable just got to look for them. And what's the mah of the ones your talking about.. Because that's where they count.. not so much the volts because it's a AA battery how much power can they really produce.. its more about the mah with the rechargable ones...
Rechargeable AA batteries have a capacity from 1,000mAh - 2,800 from what i’ve seen. The 1.5 volt batteries are Lithium which can be dangerous if improperly used. Any battery can be dangerous if not used properly, Nimh batteries can explode if shorted out just like lipos, and li-ions

Another one of my big hobbies is airguns. Most people hearing airguns will think of either bb or pellet guns from Walmart that cost from$35-$100. Consider these the equivalent of toy grade rc.
Now, what if I told you an entry level, hobby grade airgun sells for $300-$500. Would you fork out this much money for a hobby you're unfamiliar with?
Then there are the mid level guns that range from $600-$1200, and then there are the premium quality that hovers around the $2000 range.
Here's the thing, as a beginner shooter, chances are, you probably won't be able to shoot any better with a $100 than you would with a $1000 gun, but to a seasoned shooter, the accuracy and consistency is huge! Therefore, they will pay what many, outside the hobby, will think is a ridiculous price!
Apply this analogy to rc, and it's the same perspective. Toy grade rc, is potentially a gateway into hobby grade rc. I still have some toy grade rc, such as WPL and I still find them kinda fun.

Last edited:
Rechargeable AA batteries have a capacity from 1,000mAh - 2,800 from what i’ve seen. The 1.5 volt batteries are Lithium which can be dangerous if improperly used. Any battery can be dangerous if not used properly, Nimh batteries can explode if shorted out just like lipos, and li-ions
I had a cheaply made airsoft ar15. Had a rechargable aaa pack, 4 or 6 cells. Told my boy to charge it. He plugged it in with the plug in and charge no gadget charger. A few minutes later it exploded on the bed. This was years ago, 2005 maybe?

Hobby grade rc‘s use nimh or lipo which lasts longer, and is cheap, and rechargeable.
So, I guess you've answered your own question. The reason why they make toy grade is that it's safer since they don't use NiMh or lithium base batteries. Right?

So, I guess you've answered your own question. The reason why they make toy grade is that it's safer since they don't use NiMh or lithium base batteries. Right?
Yep, pretty much, it’s good to recommend toy grades to younger people so that they don’t have an issue with explosions, or fires.

edit: I just found out that there are some New Bright RC cars that use rechargeable lithium ion batteries. I wonder how safe those are.

Rechargeable AA batteries have a capacity from 1,000mAh - 2,800 from what i’ve seen. The 1.5 volt batteries are Lithium which can be dangerous if improperly used. Any battery can be dangerous if not used properly, Nimh batteries can explode if shorted out just like lipos, and li-ion
Lipos will do alot more then just Explode with out shorting it out ... and any electric device will short if you use improperly..

Yep, pretty much, it’s good to recommend toy grades to younger people so that they don’t have an issue with explosions, or fires.
Well, now you know why toy grade rc exist.

I hear way too talk about the dangers of lipo batteries, yet I'm betting these are coming from the same people who handles gasoline regularly and don't think twice about it. Personally, I'm a hell of a lot more wary about gasoline than I am about lipos.

the reason why they make toy grade anything is to entertain children, a BB gun is no introduction to air soft. I read years ago about this airsoft that would shoot at almost 700 fps.Wanted 1 of those,,
My 25 cal Benjamin Sheridan is no toy. its a weapon..I also own a 50 cal umarex .no toy.and this rechargeable aa and aaa info is wrong. they charge to a full battery voltage of 1.52 to under 1.45...anywhere you use alkaline batteries you can use a rechargeable 1.
Lipos will do alot more then just Explode with out shorting it out ... and any electric device will short if you use improperly..
lipos dont explode another internet misinformation.. Seen alot of lipos go . the will start what i call there death hiss..this will last for a few seconds gives you time to react. then the white smoke show that will calm down just be b4 the lithium internals catch fire usually a small slit will form in wrap the shot a small flame. lipos dont explode complete BULL ......seen nimh and nicads blow while charging no warning like a lipo..

Last edited:
My 25 cal Benjamin Sheridan is no toy. its a weapon..I also own a 50 cal umarex .no toy.and this rechargeable aa and aaa info is wrong. they charge to a full battery voltage of 1.52 to under 1.45...anywhere you use alkaline batteries you can use a rechargeable 1.
Nice guns man.👍👍 what AA AAA info is wrong? No one asked anything about what the full charge capacity was... it was asked why they do make only 1.2 and not a 1.5 . all that was said. Is they do make a 1.5v just have to look.. no one asked or was talking about the full charge capacity of the AA and AAA.. but thank you for the full capacity rate of the fully charged 1.5 and 1.2 rechargeable AA and AAA batteries..👍👍👍

I have no idea what this quote is even referring to, and why my post was quoted along with it.
Because "Mr. Saftey" doesn't read the whole post and just spits out random 💩💩 .. just like he said the info about AA and AAA batteries was wrong.. and then spit out the full charge capacity... when no one was even asked or was talking about the full charge rate or mention it above...
lipos dont explode another internet misinformation.. Seen alot of lipos go . the will start what i call there death hiss..this will last for a few seconds gives you time to react. then the white smoke show that will calm down just be b4 the lithium internals catch fire usually a small slit will form in wrap the shot a small flame. lipos dont explode complete BULL ......seen nimh and nicads blow while charging no warning like a lipo..
Oh really ok.. REALLY WOW SUCH A LONG TIME A FEW SECONDS....
so watch this mister saftey know it all about everything. Until 1.04. And tell me how you have enough F-ing time to do something.. you really need to think before you post man.. CLUELESS AND ANNOYING ONCE AGAIN

Last edited:
For the record typical NiMH/NiCD rechargables will charge up to 1.4-1.6V but will typically self discharge down to about 1.25V/C very quickly after being removed from the charger. Interesting side note Nickle based batteries require about 1.5 times more mah put in to them then what you'll get out of them. Thats assuming a C/10 charge rate with tempatures between 65-70F. I other words youd have to pump 1500mah into a 1000mah NiXX cell to get it to max charge.

Any battery can "explode" for a lack of a better word. In the event of "thermal runaway" batteries (doesn't matter if its Lithium, Nickle, or Pb) are designed to vent so that they dont explode. If venting fails or it can not keep up with the amount of gasses being released by thermal runaway then they can "explode". Generally venting will keep this from happening though.

*side note*
I dont personally consider WLToys hobby grade. To me hobby grade isnt about being able to get replacement parts it has to do with the quality if the kits. Personally i think companies like WLToys are horrible for the hobby. New hobbyists that buy cheap Chinesium garbage and have all manner of problems with it and then the potential to turn off that new hobbyist from the hobby is much greater than if they'd have bought a better quality kit, even if that means having to save their pennies for a while longer. I spent my first several years in the hobby arguing about cheap vs hobby grade for this very reason but eventually I got sick of trying to convince people of that so thats why I've had the forum sig I've had for the last i dont even know how many years now.

Last edited:
I gotta agree with you on the WLToys Wolf, I was turned off to them as quick as I seen the name of them and will never purchase one.

*side note*
I dont personally consider WLToys hobby grade. To me hobby grade isnt about being able to get replacement parts it has to do with the quality if the kits. Personally i think companies like WLToys are horrible for the hobby. New hobbyists that buy cheap Chinesium garbage and have all manner of problems with it and then the potential to turn off that new hobbyist from the hobby is much greater than if they'd have bought a better quality kit, even if that means having to save their pennies for a while longer. I spent my first several years in the hobby arguing about cheap vs hobby grade for this very reason but eventually I got sick of trying to convince people of that so thats why I've had the forum sig I've had for the last i dont even know how many years now.
I consider WLToys to actually be hobby grade, albeit entry level hobby grade. I have a 12428B that I bought when it first came out. My kid was too young for real hobby grade stuff, but the New Bright stuff he had just wasn't keeping his interest (which was their top of the line stuff at the time).

As it turned out, the WLToys and Feiyue that I bought for him were both too fast, but he got used to them quickly, and still plays with them. The only thing I ever did to either of them was change the ESC, servo, and receiver in the WLToys just because I had an extra receiver lying around, and I switched to LiPo batteries. They have never failed after countless hours of slamming into curbs, jumps, etc. I even bought metal diffs because I heard they were weak. The diffs are still new in the packages. These two cars have actually been the most dependable RC's I have ever owned.

And as far as AA and AAA batteries - I have 6 year old Eneloop Pro's that I have in my FS-GT3B that are still going strong. I bet I haven't charged them more than 10 times. They last forever. Just buy some and try them. You will not be disappointed. I considered switching the Tx to use a LiPo, but these Eneloops are far easier to care for.

Last edited:
Back