Who would be interested....??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSquared

RC Newbie
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a long time computer geek and returning back to the RC hobby after a break.

I'm currently wrapping up a program I've been writing for myself to unify my RC hobby.

Currently it tracks each model owned by type (planes, vehicles, boats by type and subtypes) and the specific information for each. It will track each usage, length of time, result (wreck/crash, normal, or any other result. I plan to add the ability to have lists for desired hop-ups, replacement parts, or any other items to purchase in the future for the model.

It tracks batteries that are compatible with the model, number owned, type, and adapters. It will allow adding each use, length of time, date of use, so that each battery will be able to show age, uses, and any other relevant information desired.

I plan to basically do the same type of tracking for transmitters as well. The models controlled, settings files stored (copy to be stored in the program), if I can find a way to breakdown the actual by model settings per transmitter, I would like to be able to include an ability to edit those files within the program.

The manual(s) that relate to the current item/model are also displayed and can be opened and used from within the program (.pdf files). These manuals can be added for each item/model. So, a new receiver put into a model can have its manual added as a manual for that model.

From my research, there is no program that is specifically oriented to the RC hobby, mainly train hobby programs or a generic hobby inventory type of program.

First, I'd like to know how many out there could find a program like this useful and would want a copy.

Secondly, what types of things you think should be a part of a program like this.

Lastly, if you have any ideas about this, please let me know what you think, would like to see, and any other ideas and comments you might have.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.

That's very interesting. Welcome to the site.

Welcome to RCT!

I think this is a cool idea. Any way you could port it over to Android? If so, I'd be happy to be a beta tester.

I really love the manual part of this! I would suggest exploded views and parts lists would also be a great addition. Aftermarket suppliers with compatible part numbers would also be really cool. Something that could be added by the user, and uploaded to a dingular datsbase so everyone could pull info from it, or sync with their own database would be pretty legendary.

Welcome to the site.

Are you thinking Desktop, Web or Mobile based for this app? First thoughts I had was it sounds like an expanded version of "So Dialed" mobile app for tracking RC setups. It's a nice mobile app (if you pay the subscription) but could use a desktop/web interface and be expanded to include details like you're proposing in your app.

Welcome to RCT!

I think this is a cool idea. Any way you could port it over to Android? If so, I'd be happy to be a beta tester.

I really love the manual part of this! I would suggest exploded views and parts lists would also be a great addition. Aftermarket suppliers with compatible part numbers would also be really cool. Something that could be added by the user, and uploaded to a dingular datsbase so everyone could pull info from it, or sync with their own database would be pretty legendary.
Currently, I've been entering in the info on my specific models, using Horizon Hobby and Spektrum devices.

I could have it update from user's systems to an online database. I've also had some luck performing web-scraping to read web pages into a database.

Original idea, if it takes off, is to contact the manufacturers and retailers to see if they would want their information included as I list Product IDs for each model/item.
Welcome to the site.

Are you thinking Desktop, Web or Mobile based for this app? First thoughts I had was it sounds like an expanded version of "So Dialed" mobile app for tracking RC setups. It's a nice mobile app (if you pay the subscription) but could use a desktop/web interface and be expanded to include details like you're proposing in your app.
Currently developing it as a Windows Desktop program. Once I have a base final program, I was going to look at porting it to Android. I would tie the two versions so that the main database is in the desktop version which would update the mobile version.

Original idea, if it takes off, is to contact the manufacturers and retailers to see if they would want their information included as I list Product IDs for each model/item
Just watch out for Traxxas. They like to sue people in the RC world that uses their name or certain words in their products 😆

Just watch out for Traxxas. They like to sue people in the RC world that uses their name or certain words in their products 😆
I've heard that, but I would contact them up front. If it is then submitted by a user to the main database, I think they might have less of a leg to stand on. It would be good and free advertising for them, so hopefully, they'll be ok with it.

Currently, I've been entering in the info on my specific models, using Horizon Hobby and Spektrum devices.

I could have it update from user's systems to an online database. I've also had some luck performing web-scraping to read web pages into a database.

Original idea, if it takes off, is to contact the manufacturers and retailers to see if they would want their information included as I list Product IDs for each model/item.

Currently developing it as a Windows Desktop program. Once I have a base final program, I was going to look at porting it to Android. I would tie the two versions so that the main database is in the desktop version which would update the mobile version.
Windows program... ok. There's some that use Mac and Linux out there but granted more Windows users generally. If the desktop version is going to contain the primary DB then the mobile version would only work when home connected to wifi to have DB access and the desktop would have to be powered on with the DB running. Might want to look at decentralizing the DB for the mobile to always have access. This makes things a lot more complicated and costly on your part of maintaining a shared cloud system for the DB. Sorry... engineering mode. Probably keep it simple and do a desktop only version with a "lite" DB maybe sqlite to make it portable and low resource.

I agree with the various operating systems, but once the main system is written and running, it's usually easier to port the code to other system.

The database setup I was speaking of would be the main db would be on the desktop, which would then be used to update the mobile app for use outside the local network.

For the most part, there shouldn't be too much of a need to update the db in the field compared to at home on the desktop system.

That's also a reason to ask for feedback, get ideas for initial and future features for the program.
Welcome.

Now, who could I get to do the data entry... that's the only draw-back I see.
I'm planning to contact various companies to see if they would be willing to provide information about their models, products, etc.

Good point. They tend to take it to the Maxx. 🤣🤣
Chubaka

It has come to our attention that you have made an unauthorized use of copyrighted work entitled MAXX (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. Traxxas has reserved all rights in the Work, first published in [the dawn of time], [and have registered copyright therein]. You are hereby ordered to cease and desist all usage of said Work lest you be punished by hot poker using the potty trainer method of torture.

Welcome to RCT!

Id possibly be interested in the program. Id have to see it in order to know if its something Id really use or not. Sounds very interesting though. :)

Welcome to RCT! I’ve already been doing something on a pages doc listing hopups & upgrade parts; I’d like to see a software for this! When you finish it, you should talk to @WoodiE about getting it as a tool on rctalk.com.

Ill take option 2.
Chubaka

It has come to our attention that you have made an unauthorized use of copyrighted work entitled MAXX (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. Traxxas has reserved all rights in the Work, first published in [the dawn of time], [and have registered copyright therein]. You are hereby ordered to cease and desist all usage of said Work lest you be punished by hot poker using the potty trainer method of torture.

Sounds like I could do all of this with a spreadsheet.
I am interested in how the app would track various aspects of me using my RC's? Would I have to input this information?

Back