Old School Rc18B

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdavis577

Retired Vet and Avid Racer
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
So I picked up a like new RC18B from team associted. It is complete. I have found most of the aluminum hop parts i want for it, however I am having a hard time finding a current brushless ESC and motor combo. These use to be the up and comming class when i was in the hobby last. I want to get this thing going as kinda a retro throwback to bash with at the track.

Any ideas as to what will fit, FYI I am running the original Buggy body on it, but may convert over to the dirt oval late model body at some point.

Idk how the chassis layout and what electronics it can handle. In my Mini B (1/16).(which can use the same electronics in the Mini T which is 1/18)
I use a 35A ESC and a 6100kv motor (2435/2430 or 380 can size) the one I use is a amazon combo which is cheap and reliable.
Looks like stock electronics is brushed, the car should be able to handle brushless, just try not to put alot of power into it. (Like a lower kv or higher turn motor?)

Perhaps look into what Mini-B owners are running (@DavidB1126), it’s probably similar to what you’d run in an 18th scale. There are 2in1 motor/ESCs available for the Mini-B, but there are traditional brushless setups for minis like in a Traxxas 1/16 vehicle. Maybe look around for brushless systems in a LaTrax; those are 1/18

I'll check out the latrax setup .... and that's a good point about the mini t ... I'll look into that as well and a motor esc in 1 would be nice seeing how small this is .... would deff save space

it never was a all in one.it had individual electronics. it was a 380 size motor with esc in the chassis .

it never was a all in one.it had individual electronics. it was a 380 size motor with esc in the chassis .
I know the original wasn't all in 1 ... I have the original electronics in it ... the esc is bad ... and the rx .... so I'm just going to upgrade it to a brushless setup ... now they have all in 1 motor esc setups

Agreed. I had a 2 in 1 ESC/Motor Brushless (from Dynamite) before I got my amazon combo, I had some issues with it, It is all fixed so I use it as a backup esc/motor in my bag. Not to mention a esc/motor separate weighs more so I have some more weight on the car , which feels better for me so the car doesn't wheelie all over the place.
Even the stock electronics in the Mini B/T are 2 in 1 ESC and Receiver so with that, you could only use the included RTR radio if you are in a box stock or spec Mini class.
I actually have my stock Mini brushed electronics up on marketplace right now. I don't use it anymore. No need for it. I also do need some money to pay down my AMain account. 😅
Oh wait, I forgot, already sold it on eBay, lol.

I put a Hobbwing Quicrun 1625 in my RC18MT, and kept the brushed motor (370 size). Parts aren't easily found, (and I'm not convinced the gearing would stand-up to brushless) and I didn't think it needed any more speed, but the new ESC lets me use this small LiPo pack instead of NiMh, and the run time is much greater than before. I also changed radios on mine, I used a cheap Spektrum SLT3/SLR300 2.4 GHz (which came in my Senton). Good luck

7PMKR3G.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RFHKWH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A35GESQNTB15AT&psc=1

51iKLKH82AL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I put a Hobbwing Quicrun 1625 in my RC18MT, and kept the brushed motor (370 size). Parts aren't easily found, (and I'm not convinced the gearing would stand-up to brushless) and I didn't think it needed any more speed, but the new ESC lets me use this small LiPo pack instead of NiMh, and the run time is much greater than before. I also changed radios on mine, I used a cheap Spektrum SLT3/SLR300 2.4 GHz (which came in my Senton). Good luck

7PMKR3G.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RFHKWH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A35GESQNTB15AT&psc=1

I've been able to find all the parts I was looking for ..... Aluminum A arms , shock towers , arm mounts , etc.... I had one of these yrs ago and before i got out of the hobby i upgraded it to brushless.... so i know done correctly it will hold up to brushless power .... may have to put a new aluminum spur gear in .... which i can find ....

But I litterally just 5 mins ago ..... ordered 2 of theser batteries !!!! and then i just ordered the hobbywing exrun combo a1 for it ..... so we will see shold be here in a couple days ..... I also am changing out the RX/TX .... I have a noble nb4 .... and they have some really small Rx .... so i am going to use one of theres

Can I play??

7PMKR3G.jpg

I like it thumbs 👍

Last edited:
Back