Who Makes the Best Racing RC Vehicle?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AClegg

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I have seen this question get asked quite a bit. Everyone has their own opinion followed with a reason. However, there in order to get the proper answer, there are quite a few questions to ask.

Cost: The cost of a racing vehicle has a very broad range. Some brands can cost almost twice as much as another brand. Does that mean the more expensive one is the best? Read on to find out.
Class: What class do you want to race in? 2WD buggy, 4WD buggy, 1/10, 1/8, nitro, electric, stock, modified, etc... there is a HUGE difference here.
Brand Preference: Do you like one brand over another? what have you owned in the past and do you want to stick with the same brand?
Parts Availability: Do you want a car that your local hobby shop has parts readily available for or are you too far from a hobby shop so ordering is an option. Some people don't mind ordering from an online retailer and some people don't want to have to pack around spare parts. Now these days, race vehicles are built pretty freaking durable. There are only a handful of spare parts you will need. Not like the old days where you had to practically carry around a complete car kit for parts. Also, online, you will find better and less expensive upgrades.
What's the Surface: This is important because there are few different types of surfaces and cars are built to perform best on particular surfaces, such as asphalt, high traction clay, carpet, blue groove, low traction dirt, etc...
Who Is Your Daddy and What Does He Do: You don't really need to answer that one

Now, I will explain how there is no car/brand that is the best. Buying the best car is like buying the best hand gun. Every name brand will hit the target, but for you to hit the target, depends on your aim and what gun fits you best. The same goes with an RC car. All the top brands will get you on the podium just the same, but it depends on your driving skills.

Some will argue that one brand is better because they offer more support. When is the last time any of us local racers called a manufacture and asked for support? None of those companies are going to send out a tech to tune your vehicle to your driving style. Just about every top brand has "Setup Sheets" from their factory dirvers. However, none of the factory drivers drive the same way your do on that same exact track. What does that mean? That means you will have to learn how each adjustment, on your car, will affect the way it drives. For example, what is toe-in, why move the shocks in or out, why add stiffer springs, what shock oil to use, where should you mount the battery, ball diff or gear diff, etc... All these questions can be explained either in this forum or on YouTube. We don't need not stinking badges... I mean factory support! We got eachother! (a moment to say "Aaaaaaah")

When it comes to durability, they are pretty much a match. like I said earlier, the new race versions are pretty durable. There really isn't one better than the other. Besides, if you are worried about breaking these new cars, then you need to practice with a basher in your back yard before you hit the track. Otherwise, your going to tick off a lot of other racers if start crashing into them. You will have more problems with walking out to your car and finding your tires are flat. Just saying...

So, why does one brand win more than another? It's because one brand has better drivers than the others. If one car was better than the others, every sponsored driver would leave their brand to race the other car so they could be on top. For example, why doesn't the top Losi driver start racing Associated cars so he can start winning and get noticed by associated? Right now, Xray is killing it out on the field. Why they hired some of the best drivers out there. How smart was that? So smart, they can come out with a new model every year and people will buy them every year. Simply because they see Xray standing at the top of the podium. Therefore, they feel that is the best car and they must have it. When you see a sponsored drive leave and go to another brand, they don't end up finishing higher, they pretty much finish in the same positions they have been finishing with their last company. Think about it... not every one can be in first place. Only the best driver will be in first place... and being in second only means you're the first loser.

For those who insist on knowing what brand wins the most IFMAR World races, here is a list from the most wins to the least:

Associated: 30 (Very Nice! Great cars and Excellent drivers)
Yokomo: 17 (almost all wins were by Masami Hirosaka, the King of RC racing)
Kyosho: 16 (always the underdog in racing and highly underestimated. excellent vehicles, but they don't try to acquire the best dirvers)
Mugen: 8 (Pretty good for only participating in a couple classes)
Serpent: 7 (not bad for having limited entries)
Xray: 6 (They are the newest and catching up really quick. Has the best drivers in the industry)
Losi: 5 (Makes an excellent car, but needs better drivers. I'm not saying the current ones are bad. They're much better than me)
Tamiya: 5 (pretty much decided to step out of racing for a bit. Definitely not doing off-road)
HB: 4 (not bad for only entering in only a few classes)

Now you may ask why I use the results from the IFMAR Word Championship races? That's because that is where you will most likely see the worlds greatest drivers compete against each other and only the best of the best are racing. Not a pro driver going against a weekend warrior, or a weekend warrior going against a once-every-other-month warrior.

Visit this site for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFMAR_1:10_Electric_Off-Road_World_Championship#cite_note-30

I think that is about all I have for now.

Good luck.

Cost: Never charged myself
Class: Stadium, rear wheel drive
Brand Preference: Partial to Traxxas based Rustlers. Turn 'em into Heisenburg Performance Enhanced (HPEs)
Parts Availability: Chassis and engine stuff no probs, usually get upgraded right out of the box. Beginning to worry about custom electronics
What's the Surface: Parking lots
Who Is Your Daddy and What Does He Do: Ladder Man for the Fire Department Search and Rescue for 42 years. Served as Provisional Lieutenant on 3 non-consecutive occasions. You light'em, he'd fight 'em. That's my Daddy. Dad.jpg

Do not agree with 2nd place being first loser! That's an unsportsmanlike way to put things. I agree with alot of everything else. But 2nd place probably is the better driver just wasn't on that day. Tons of mistakes are made on r/c tracks. It os whoever makes the least mistakes that particular day. That's why the same guy doesn't win every time. Cars are even, and now it's down to human error. That's why track time is the most important aspect of the hobby if you want to win, practice more.

Do not agree with 2nd place being first loser! That's an unsportsmanlike way to put things. I agree with alot of everything else. But 2nd place probably is the better driver just wasn't on that day. Tons of mistakes are made on r/c tracks. It os whoever makes the least mistakes that particular day. That's why the same guy doesn't win every time. Cars are even, and now it's down to human error. That's why track time is the most important aspect of the hobby if you want to win, practice more.
I dont think it has anything to do with being unsportman-like, its just the reality of the situation. No one that is competitive is going to be happy they came in second. Sure its better than coming in 5th or even last but no one is really excited about it and 5 or 10 years down the road that person that came in second isnt going to sitting around telling his kids about how he came in second place once at a championship race. That person is only thinking about what he can do different next time to come in first place. just my .02 🤷‍♂️

I have seen this question get asked quite a bit. Everyone has their own opinion followed with a reason. However, there in order to get the proper answer, there are quite a few questions to ask.

Cost: The cost of a racing vehicle has a very broad range. Some brands can cost almost twice as much as another brand. Does that mean the more expensive one is the best? Read on to find out.
Class: What class do you want to race in? 2WD buggy, 4WD buggy, 1/10, 1/8, nitro, electric, stock, modified, etc... there is a HUGE difference here.
Brand Preference: Do you like one brand over another? what have you owned in the past and do you want to stick with the same brand?
Parts Availability: Do you want a car that your local hobby shop has parts readily available for or are you too far from a hobby shop so ordering is an option. Some people don't mind ordering from an online retailer and some people don't want to have to pack around spare parts. Now these days, race vehicles are built pretty freaking durable. There are only a handful of spare parts you will need. Not like the old days where you had to practically carry around a complete car kit for parts. Also, online, you will find better and less expensive upgrades.
What's the Surface: This is important because there are few different types of surfaces and cars are built to perform best on particular surfaces, such as asphalt, high traction clay, carpet, blue groove, low traction dirt, etc...
Who Is Your Daddy and What Does He Do: You don't really need to answer that one

Now, I will explain how there is no car/brand that is the best. Buying the best car is like buying the best hand gun. Every name brand will hit the target, but for you to hit the target, depends on your aim and what gun fits you best. The same goes with an RC car. All the top brands will get you on the podium just the same, but it depends on your driving skills.

Some will argue that one brand is better because they offer more support. When is the last time any of us local racers called a manufacture and asked for support? None of those companies are going to send out a tech to tune your vehicle to your driving style. Just about every top brand has "Setup Sheets" from their factory dirvers. However, none of the factory drivers drive the same way your do on that same exact track. What does that mean? That means you will have to learn how each adjustment, on your car, will affect the way it drives. For example, what is toe-in, why move the shocks in or out, why add stiffer springs, what shock oil to use, where should you mount the battery, ball diff or gear diff, etc... All these questions can be explained either in this forum or on YouTube. We don't need not stinking badges... I mean factory support! We got eachother! (a moment to say "Aaaaaaah")

When it comes to durability, they are pretty much a match. like I said earlier, the new race versions are pretty durable. There really isn't one better than the other. Besides, if you are worried about breaking these new cars, then you need to practice with a basher in your back yard before you hit the track. Otherwise, your going to tick off a lot of other racers if start crashing into them. You will have more problems with walking out to your car and finding your tires are flat. Just saying...

So, why does one brand win more than another? It's because one brand has better drivers than the others. If one car was better than the others, every sponsored driver would leave their brand to race the other car so they could be on top. For example, why doesn't the top Losi driver start racing Associated cars so he can start winning and get noticed by associated? Right now, Xray is killing it out on the field. Why they hired some of the best drivers out there. How smart was that? So smart, they can come out with a new model every year and people will buy them every year. Simply because they see Xray standing at the top of the podium. Therefore, they feel that is the best car and they must have it. When you see a sponsored drive leave and go to another brand, they don't end up finishing higher, they pretty much finish in the same positions they have been finishing with their last company. Think about it... not every one can be in first place. Only the best driver will be in first place... and being in second only means you're the first loser.

For those who insist on knowing what brand wins the most IFMAR World races, here is a list from the most wins to the least:

Associated: 30 (Very Nice! Great cars and Excellent drivers)
Yokomo: 17 (almost all wins were by Masami Hirosaka, the King of RC racing)
Kyosho: 16 (always the underdog in racing and highly underestimated. excellent vehicles, but they don't try to acquire the best dirvers)
Mugen: 8 (Pretty good for only participating in a couple classes)
Serpent: 7 (not bad for having limited entries)
Xray: 6 (They are the newest and catching up really quick. Has the best drivers in the industry)
Losi: 5 (Makes an excellent car, but needs better drivers. I'm not saying the current ones are bad. They're much better than me)
Tamiya: 5 (pretty much decided to step out of racing for a bit. Definitely not doing off-road)
HB: 4 (not bad for only entering in only a few classes)

Now you may ask why I use the results from the IFMAR Word Championship races? That's because that is where you will most likely see the worlds greatest drivers compete against each other and only the best of the best are racing. Not a pro driver going against a weekend warrior, or a weekend warrior going against a once-every-other-month warrior.

Visit this site for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFMAR_1:10_Electric_Off-Road_World_Championship#cite_note-30

I think that is about all I have for now.

Good luck.
Interesting. My thoughts lean towards the DRIVER rather than the hardware. As a retired pro photog, I know that a skilled pro could create great images even with a cheap camera as averse to a $10,000 photo tool. Miamoto Musashi once fought against a well equiped opponent with an expensive KATANA. Musashi used a beat up and weathered boat oar. Same can be said for all aspects of RC-ing. Getting ludicrous look at https://www.cinegears.com vehicles. Start cheap, really learn driving skills, then slowly advance to more sophisticated and reliable RPVS as you grow.

Some will argue that one brand is better because they offer more support. When is the last time any of us local racers called a manufacture and asked for support?
When seeing someone mention "support", do you think it's that kind or the fact that they can easily get parts at any hobby shop or find tons of aftermarket parts? I never thought of "support" as actual customer support for RC's. I always just thought of it as aftermarket and parts support. Maybe it's different when racing?

When seeing someone mention "support", do you think it's that kind or the fact that they can easily get parts at any hobby shop or find tons of aftermarket parts? I never thought of "support" as actual customer support for RC's. I always just thought of it as aftermarket and parts support. Maybe it's different when racing?
Hello ! Many layers of support. My fave includes the tech help, wisdom and insight if a hobby shop owner who races, bashes, flys, sails, builds himself or herself. Being an independent source, this kind of individual is a very valuable asset. Then, there are the FANTASTIC PEOPLE who frequent forums like RC TALK. Here in town fellow racers are also helpful. Sometimes we just get together over coffee at a local restaurant. ALL of the above are more important to me than just getting the cheapest price on-line.

The end user makes the best vehicle. Buy something and start hopping up and modding. Then bash till ya break and make stronger. Rinse and repeat and youll end up with something no one else can reproduce. Enjoy!