Who knows what this is?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anyone know what the exposed prong is for on the side of the switch housing? This is a Castle Sidewinder Micro 2.

20221016_110628.jpg

If there is a light in the switch it may be for a ground. Some of the switches we use on 1:1 stuff require a separate ground for the light in them to work.

If there is a light in the switch it may be for a ground. Some of the switches we use on 1:1 stuff require a separate ground for the light in them to work.
There is no light on the switch tho.

Does it supply power to an aux fan perhaps? Just a thought I really don't know. I mean it is on the hot side of the switch and looks electric burned (lack of better words), and the fans have single plug and play harnesses.
Have you put a voltmeter to it and a ground (Ground could be the motor the fan sits on) while the switch is under power and on?
Or
It could simply be a small heat sink to keep the switch from heating up or melting, or a reset switch.

I'll have to put a meter on it. The esc has no way to mount a fan. It's a micro esc encased in some sort of super thick heatshrink
I'll shoot an email to castle too and ask them what it is

I'll have to put a meter on it. The esc has no way to mount a fan. It's a micro esc encased in some sort of super thick heatshrink
I'll shoot an email to castle too and ask them what it is
I see it's a tiny esc, pretty cool. I kind of thought it was strange for a small esc to have such a heavy-duty switch, after reading the specs I can see why. Looks like an awesome small esc.
It might just be a lock for the on off switch, for a definite click lock type thing I don't know though.
The fans I was referring to, are older fans that snug fit the motor bell housing to cool the motor, and only had one lead wire. I assume they used the motors metal to ground or something.
It would be cool if it is an aux power out, of course, you would have to find a ground. Strange.

I'm in Ohio too, I deal with The Pit Stop hobby shop in Lima, dudes a beast, I'll message him see if he knows anything.
I'm curious too, I'll probably lose sleep over it lol-Joking.
Let us know when and what you find out and I'll do the same.

Castle says that is just there to keep the switch in the housing. If you wanted to remove the switch from the housing in order to replace or troubleshoot it then youd straighten that tab which would allow the switch to slide out of the housing.

Yeah, and Id be surprised if you could take it apart more than twice without breaking that tab off lol