Which is Stronger - Ofna 9.5 or Hyper 7?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plaidfish said:
well I got a 9.5 "pro" kit but it didn't have the CnC stuff...just that same pot metal amuminum....but I got most of the CnC parts for mine.....I've seen the Pro kit with all the CnC stuff as well though....someone here just bought one that had it all but returned it before doing the build...I think the second release of the 9.5 pro was upgraded to include it but they also charged about 400-450 for it.....the OFNA CnC stuff is pretty nice...one advantage on the 9.5 is alot of the 7.5 parts fir it so you could use fioroni knuckles and towers on it.....

I didn't know some of the 7.5 parts would fit. The 9.5 Pro kit I saw, had graphite parts and aluminum parts (shock towers, etc.). The aluminum parts were not CNC, however. They were just stamped. I think I've changed my mind on the 9.5 kit - not for $400. The Mayhem Pro looks like a better grade of plastic and aluminum, but I don't know in practice, how it would compare. If the 9.5 Pro kit I looked at had the CNC aluminum parts, I would get it, but not at that price.

You have me curious about the X-Ray, now. Where do you buy parts? Who sells X-Ray on the Internet?

Thanks again.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scripts/default.asp is one place I know of.

In a battle between the Sportwerks and the 9.5 Pro, I would go with the 9.5 Pro. The only good things about the Mayhem is that it came with good radio gear and a powerful engine. If you get a kit, you lose the two features that made the RTR worthwhile.

I found the Mayhem to be less than durable. The backyard track I race at has a Hyper 7 PCR RTR (converted to pro), a Mayhem RTR, and my 9.5 Pro. That Mayhem is always suffering from breakage, especially suspension components, while our two OFNA buggies don't.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get a mayhem ever....If you like to take meticulous care of your buggy and tear it all down after every day and tweak lil things it can last....the only ones I've seen (that get driven hard anyway) and last belong to guys that do that every time they run it......you pay alot for a good radio , a decent engine and a crappy buggy IMO......the pro parts are a lil nicer but still not worth what the buggy will cost you after you're done upgrading it....and even then it's still not as tough as the OFNA lines...or pretty much ANY other line of buggy.....

BTW did you see the 9.5 I'm selling as a rtr??....this is EXACTLY as described....no BS....
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37972

I get my Xray parts from www.southeastrc.com
that's my LHS

I didn't know the Mayhem was thought so little of. I haven't seen that many postings about them.

What suspension parts have you seen breaking? I'm just curious.

Now I'm torn. Sorry if I'm belaboring the whole mess.

I wonder why the 9.5 is stronger than the Jammin? It looks like HongNor would have improved the next buggy. (Maybe they weren't selling enough parts for the 9.5s...)

Thanks again.

His Mayhem broke the front arm on two different occaisions. It also had one of the wheel nuts come loose, which fused to the hub and drive axle which stripped the threads and required it all to be replaced, blowing out two wheel bearings, and destroying a wheel (I heard of a similar thing with another Mayhem on a different forum as well). He has also broken a shock shaft or two, and his wing mount.

By comparison, my buddy's hyper has broken a wing mount, and lost a screw or two. My 9.5 has lost some screws, and bent one shock shaft.

Last edited:
kx250ryder said:
His Mayhem broke the front arm on two different occaisions. It also had one of the wheel nuts come loose, which fused to the hub and drive axle which stripped the threads and required it all to be replaced, blowing out two wheel bearings, and destroying a wheel (I heard of a similar thing with another Mayhem on a different forum as well). He has also broken a shock shaft or two, and his wing mount.

By comparison, my buddy's hyper has broken a wing mount, and lost a screw or two. My 9.5 has lost some screws, and bent one shock shaft.

That's interesting. I'm curious - have you driven your 9.5 hard? I'm assuming so, since you seem pretty experienced with them, but am just curious.

I got to take a look at a new 9.5 Pro today, that a guy had just built. He hadn't even put the engine nor electronics in it, yet. Some of the plastic on it looked more shiny to me, like a lower grade of plastic. By comparison, some of the other buggies I looked at seemed like a higher grade of plastic. Now, that's just to my untrained eye, but that's what it kind of looked like. I also tapped on the plastic C-Hubs and they sounded kind of brittle. That's just my thought. I'm certainly not a plastics engineer, though.

I can't say whether I drive hard or not, I only have two other buggies to compare it to. What I can say, is that in the same driving conditions, the Mayhem broke more often than my 9.5, or a Hyper 7.

That's good to know. Maybe I should get a 9.5, but I just hesitate spending $400 for a buggy that old (of a design). For another $150, I could get a Jammin Factory Team edition, but have heard they are not as strong as the 9.5. Strange.

Oh - and for $499, I could get a Mugen MBX-5... Decisions, decisions...

Plaidfish said:
or 450 will get you .............. :D
Yeah, well exactly!

I'm bascialy looking for the cheapest way to get a decent, nice to work on, racable, buggy.

The last car i bough was the Duratrax MaxST, becuase it looked like you got quite a lot for you money, and I've never been a fan of traxus.

From stock. although it was great to drive, it was clearn some parts left a lot to be deisred. The plain bearings lasted days, not weeks, and wore out the stub axles as well, so i needed 8 bearings and 4 stuch axles stright off
- Then it was also clear the stock tyres where usless, so there goes another load of cash.
- Then the chasis strut bend after a realy small bump, taking the stock chasis with it. (so i wound up geting the T6061 chassis, and a ti trackrod off the Tmax) and also spend 2hours countersinking the chassis plate and swapin all the screwes for Csk ones.
- The stock diffgear wore out in about 10 tanks, so i got the hardend steel ones
- The stock (80cc) fuel tank was swaped out for a 75cc one so i could race in the resticed class, rather than "out-law"
- And i broke about 4 trackrods before geting some lunsfords
- Also the stock stearing servo and built in cam-type servo saver need replaceing with at alu fixed stearing linkages, a Futaba S3010, and a new servo-mounted saver.
- The dog bones used to fall out every other tank, untill i got the CVDs
- I spend £10 on an RX pack and RX box.
- The heli-stlye muffler was replaced by a team AE tuned pipe
- And then i replaced the the torq.16 engine with a CV-RX after 3gall.
- And about a gallon later the shocks wore right though, so al the oil came out the threaded sides.

I now have a really great 10th truck, which can have huge fun with, driving for hours, and loving every minute of it.
- But the above list it quite long, and looking at my truck, in stuggling to find much that i origanal, bar the wishbones (a-arms) gearbox, shock towers, and few other little bits. And i can help feeling i would have been better off spending some of that money initally and geting a better car to start with.

Daniel

For the $$$ I would get the Jammin over the 9.5. Just my opinion. Newer design. Nothing really wrong with the 9.5 though.

How much is the XB8r??

Dhutch said:
Yeah, well exactly!
I'm bascialy looking for the cheapest way to get a decent, nice to work on, racable, buggy.
well actually I was eluding to my buggy for sale....it is already to go......has all the stuff you just said was a PITA to hop up....and it's all LIKE NEW....but if someone is looking for the 9.5 pro and wants to spend an extra 500 bucks to get the same stuff I understand....I just thought in a thread about the same buggy that someone would be interested.....

Plaidfish said:
well actually I was eluding to my buggy for sale....it is already to go......has all the stuff you just said was a PITA to hop up....and it's all LIKE NEW....but if someone is looking for the 9.5 pro and wants to spend an extra 500 bucks to get the same stuff I understand....I just thought in a thread about the same buggy that someone would be interested.....
Yeah, its a very tempting offer.
- And i might yet get a 2nd hand car.

However i would very much prefer to see it before i buy. Not that i dont trust you, but when your doing it all over the internet its just not the same.
- And thats not really feasable, as I'm in the UK.
- Also shiping etc would be a bit of a pain.

Daniel

Back