Which is Stronger - Ofna 9.5 or Hyper 7?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Which of these two buggies are the strongest built, most durable?

Thanks.

Go with the hyper, and if you can go with the pbs, or pcr series. These are some seriously strong buggies that are race worthy, or bash worthy. The 9.5 has been replaced with the Jammin buggy, the 9.5 is still in production, but it is a dated design.

I'd have to say the the PBS front end on either is stronger....the C-hub setup is more responsive but not good for a basher.....
also they use thicker hardware on the 9.5 (at least on the pro version) but it's a heavier rig.....
They are pretty much on the same quality level..one is designed by Hong-Nor (hyper series) and the other by Ho-Bao (MBX/9.5)......OFNA is the distributor here in the states for both so here we see them as the same company w/ different quality levels.....the reality is in th erest of the world they are sold under their proper names.....sort of like comparing the GS storm to the XTM buggy...both are great buggys each has their lil quirks......but basically the same quality level overall.....

Plaidfish said:
I'd have to say the the PBS front end on either is stronger....the C-hub setup is more responsive but not good for a basher.....
also they use thicker hardware on the 9.5 (at least on the pro version) but it's a heavier rig.....
They are pretty much on the same quality level..one is designed by Hong-Nor (hyper series) and the other by Ho-Bao (MBX/9.5)......OFNA is the distributor here in the states for both so here we see them as the same company w/ different quality levels.....the reality is in th erest of the world they are sold under their proper names.....sort of like comparing the GS storm to the XTM buggy...both are great buggys each has their lil quirks......but basically the same quality level overall.....

Close. Hyper is made by Ho Bao, and 9.5/Jammin/Ultra is made by Hong Nor. Also, the 9.5 Pro is 3200g, and the Hyper is around 3500g, so its acutally lighter than the Hyper (at least according to Tower's numbers).

Ooops...my bad....they're OFNA to me anyway..LOL...I guess mine weighs more cause all the CNC stuff....I thought the Hypers were the lighter buggy right out of the box......good stuff to know thanks kx

Is Jammin Hong Nor??
I thought they were like a new american company actually named Jammin???
I need to read the OFNA site more....I get closed minded on stuff I don't use and just look at sites for RCs I currently use.....

Hypers are the heaviest, then Mugen, then XRAY, with the 9.5 being lightest. The numbers mostly came off of Tower's page, but they are each only separated by 100 grams or so. I think the difference from heaviest to lightest is .66 pounds. Not the several pound difference everyone always claims. I combed Google, and could not find weights for the Jammin or the Kyosho though.

EDIT: Yeah, the Jammin is Hong Nor (CRT on their home page):
http://www.hongnor.com/

Last edited:
Plaidfish said:
Is Jammin Hong Nor??
I thought they were like a new american company actually named Jammin???
I need to read the OFNA site more....I get closed minded on stuff I don't use and just look at sites for RCs I currently use.....

Jammin is just the name Ofna called the new line of buggies from HongNor. The successor to the 9.5, is the Jammin. I guess it could have been called the 9.6, but they must have wanted to breathe new interest with a new name. Jammin is just Ofna.

I heard there was a "Jammin" Office here in america....I jus assumed hey were a new branch in the OFNA family...

I weighed my Hyper 7 PBS on balance scales with a hitech645mg steering servo, and MiMH bat pack, and it was 7.73 lbs, and read where many are about 9 lbs. What is the cause in weight differences?

Jeep

Plaidfish said:
I heard there was a "Jammin" Office here in america....I jus assumed hey were a new branch in the OFNA family...

Kinda. More like just a brand name in the Ofna family. If you look at the phone numbers for Ofna and Jammin, it's the same number. Jammin answers the phone "Ofna".

Same company.

Jeep said:
I weighed my Hyper 7 PBS on balance scales with a hitech645mg steering servo, and MiMH bat pack, and it was 7.73 lbs, and read where many are about 9 lbs. What is the cause in weight differences?

Jeep

3500g weight for Hyper 7 PCR on Tower's page. 28 grams in an ounce, so divide by 28 to get ounces. 3500/28 = 125. 16 ounces in a pound, so divide the 125 ounces by 16 to get pounds. 125/16 = 7.81 pounds.

3400g weight for Mugen MBX5 Prospec so same process above yields 7.59 pounds.

Finally found numbers for Kyosho MP777 SP1, 3485g. That means that the legend is less than 20 grams lighter than the supposedly tank like Hyper 7.

Don't get confused, I am not trying to say that the lightest buggy is the best. I am just trying to dispel the myth that weight is important, or that the Hyper is a hulking 10 ton mack truck. If weight was the issue, then my 9.5 would be the best buggy running (3200g). Haha all you fatties, lol.

I'm not big on the weight issue myself....I know my truggy is freakishly light and I get worried when I see it flailing across the lane.....but I never really cared about weight on somethign that has like 20:1 power to weight ratio (and that is a wild guess ratio)......I just don't htink that gets to be an issue til you're adding all the bling aluminum stuff you can get a hold of......

What do people people think of the Jammin, I'm looking to get a 1/8th buggy, and I'm quite tempted.
- Also very much like the look of the Xray, although I'm worryed with the amount of carbon is useds if my going to be bashing it.

The hyper 7 seams to be croping up a lot tho, so might jsut get that?

Daniel

the hyper 7 is so popular because it's a good bugy for a good price...still needs upgrades if you race it hard...for most clubs it would be great right out of the box, just not as easily adjustable and the geometry is different.....I'd take an XB8 anyday...oh wait I did.....when it comes to taking abuse the mugen and Xray just take it and take it and come back for more......I've stuffed mine into fence poles off of huge triples and it just kept going......

I also forgot to mention that the hyper 8 will be out very soon. It is selling in europe right now...

Plaidfish said:
the hyper 7 is so popular because it's a good bugy for a good price...

still needs upgrades if you race it hard...for most clubs it would be great right out of the box, just not as easily adjustable and the geometry is different.....

I'd take an XB8 anyday...oh wait I did.....when it comes to taking abuse the mugen and Xray just take it and take it and come back for more......I've stuffed mine into fence poles off of huge triples and it just kept going......
Yeah, fair enough.
-What sort of upgrades are we talking about, what are these going to cost?
-The XB8, although more expesive, seams to be pritty much race-ready. Would you say thats fair?

Becuase although I'm initally planing to bash, i deffonatly want something i could take to a race, and have a dencnt run with.

(also, I'm in england, and quite likly to order in from within the uk, rather than tower. certainly i would want to be able to get parts in the uk easly)

Daniel

well I say if you can get the best....there is something to be said about a buggy that ALL the holes are threaded right....makes maintaining it alot easier....the shock towers and shocks on the Hyper 7 aren't the greatest....the chassis braces.....and hardened gear sets....not sure about the bearings on it.....the turnbuckles/outdrives & Axles are all a softer metal than top shelf stuff so you replace them more often.....I've run 4 gallons straight on my xb8 before tearing it down....I found all kinds of things that were loose but nothing broken....all the loos parts were just eccentric washers.....replace em about every gallon or 2......as far as cost for you I'd do flea-bay.......

Plaidfish said:
well I say if you can get the best....there is something to be said about a buggy that ALL the holes are threaded right....makes maintaining it alot easier....the shock towers and shocks on the Hyper 7 aren't the greatest....the chassis braces.....and hardened gear sets....not sure about the bearings on it.....the turnbuckles/outdrives & Axles are all a softer metal than top shelf stuff so you replace them more often.....I've run 4 gallons straight on my xb8 before tearing it down....I found all kinds of things that were loose but nothing broken....all the loos parts were just eccentric washers.....replace em about every gallon or 2......as far as cost for you I'd do flea-bay.......

Plaid,

Does the substandard quality of parts also apply to the 9.5 Pro kit? Are the metal parts a softer metal in that kit, too? What about the shock towers and shocks? (Or, is the 9.5 Pro a better quality kit, materials-wise?)

Thanks.

well I got a 9.5 "pro" kit but it didn't have the CnC stuff...just that same pot metal amuminum....but I got most of the CnC parts for mine.....I've seen the Pro kit with all the CnC stuff as well though....someone here just bought one that had it all but returned it before doing the build...I think the second release of the 9.5 pro was upgraded to include it but they also charged about 400-450 for it.....the OFNA CnC stuff is pretty nice...one advantage on the 9.5 is alot of the 7.5 parts fir it so you could use fioroni knuckles and towers on it.....