Where to go from here??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve38

RCTalk Champion
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
So a few months back I bought a 3s blx Granite from a LHS. Ended up with problems so the LHS offered I trade it in. So I did and was ecstatic to do so. The BigRock was what I really wanted concidering my price range. I done a good 2-3 weeks worth of studying up best I could. Didn't know to look up all the small but very important problems or mods. Now being prob 5-6 months and only running prob 20 full packs thru the rig. Honestly some due to beginner woes. But lots of things that are super frustrating. Maybe not even pricey but shuts u down. I'm not a person with much of a budget but yet have bought all I needed or thought. This time, routine maintenance turns into a month of not running, pissed off, feeling dumb. I do that well enough before I tried RC. I don't have the cash to go get another rig. Wish I coulda went 6s. They seem a bit more durable. But now I see I may just have gotten a chinesium and had good reason when it breaks to have to wait. Anyway sry for the rant.

Sell. Find diff hobby?

Sell. Get 1 or 2 1/24 scale?

Sell. Get non arrma?

Sell. Get 1 1/10 or so size crawler?

Do crawlers break as much for a newb??

well put a list of what your breaking to start .most people luv Arrma.with rc people who run them know certain parts will break and have spares well at least I do and some things you just can't plan on stuff breaks..theres a point where 1 will have to make a decission for themselfs if this hobby is 4 them..
Went to see the forest giants a few weeks back .. seen the jack daniels company on way in... went there spent 3 hours walking the trails . then said w h a t. this was a giant joke,drove thru park and went nd had a jack.. glad I had brad williams tickets that night,,, just a off the wall thang
This hobby is not for the low budget 1s just not gonna pan out.been into fishing my entire life .I can still remember going down to the detroit river when I was young, seeing it have a redish tint. Even fished in the redman tourny. b4 congress passed the laws stopping those type of sponsorships. Again there were hidden costs... as a non boater filling up a guys gas tanks having to have or buy liecence-longpole(indian land have a lic or loose your gear)_.canadian and ohio..anyway the detroit river was a very polluted waters .people say the Zebra mussels was a bad thing I say it was a wonderous thing it cleaned the great lakes up like no man made junk could. now I can look into 25 feet of water and see the bottom..
thumbs up to the little guys.
Now no matter what size you buy or type rcs break. you acquire the skills to fix or you have what we call a shelf queen(due to lack of ability to lack of funds to fix the worst is no more parts can be found to fix it(the worst) but i rammbled..no 1 can make that stay with rc or go another way thats all you.I started this hobby when I was 12 with a cox string car,,1st run car was in church parking lot string broke car went out into a busy road and caused a 3 car crash. never again.. purchased 550 cord toss that cotton string that was in kit.Things happen that's just life..

Last edited:
So a few months back I bought a 3s blx Granite from a LHS. Ended up with problems so the LHS offered I trade it in. So I did and was ecstatic to do so. The BigRock was what I really wanted concidering my price range. I done a good 2-3 weeks worth of studying up best I could. Didn't know to look up all the small but very important problems or mods. Now being prob 5-6 months and only running prob 20 full packs thru the rig. Honestly some due to beginner woes. But lots of things that are super frustrating. Maybe not even pricey but shuts u down. I'm not a person with much of a budget but yet have bought all I needed or thought. This time, routine maintenance turns into a month of not running, pissed off, feeling dumb. I do that well enough before I tried RC. I don't have the cash to go get another rig. Wish I coulda went 6s. They seem a bit more durable. But now I see I may just have gotten a chinesium and had good reason when it breaks to have to wait. Anyway sry for the rant.

Sell. Find diff hobby?

Sell. Get non arrma?

Some of what I'm gonna say is some of the same stuff TNT said but I have some other points to add as well. First thing I will say is to have patience. I know it sucks when your kit is down and you can't run but if you're patient and slowly but surely upgrade the stuff thats breaking with quality aftermarket parts like RPM or hardened aluminum (warning: A-Arms and Spur gears are not meant to be metal) and eventually the rig will be fairly reliable depending on how hard you bash it. Once you get to that stage then you can start saving for a second kit. rinse and repeat.

As for the brand, Arrma is a pretty decent brand but heres the thing, theyre all going to break. Especially in the beginning until you get the weak links upgraded. I swear they design them that way on purpose just to sell parts both stock replacements and after market hop ups.

Like TNT said only you can decide if the hobby is something you want to stick with or not but it is an expensive hobby. Probably one of the most expensive ones I've ever had. This is one of my favorite MEMEs because its so true.
148524001_2821596684775263_8344702829178394760_n.jpg

You can go with smaller scale rigs, they will be less expensive but imo the small scale stuff isnt that fun. I have a couple of minis and a micro that almost never get used. That being said that could be just a personal preference thing and you may find you like small scale RCs. A lot of this hobby is personal preference.

Crawlers dont break nearly as much as bashers and if you have places that have terrain to climb you may just find you enjoy crawling more than bashing. Theres a lot of guys in the forum who absolutely love their crawlers. The rigs and the upgrad parts arent any cheaper (at least for the 1/10 scale crawlers) but they dont break nearly as often if you have a good name brand kit.

Sell. Find diff hobby?

Sell. Get non arrma?

Hey bud. Not sure how old you are. Or what your local hobby shop has said. But like TNT said.. I've been in the hobby for 20+ yrs. Got my first the Tamiya grasshopper then the tamiya Blackfoot back in 80s.. I was hooked and never turn back.. these RC are made to break. I broke alot of parts when I was younger. There's a learning curve to everything you try for the first time. The RC hobby as a whole can get very expensive. I'm sure TNT has thousands dumped into his collection as do I and alot of other guys.. it take time and patience. What's broken or keeps given you problems.where do you drive your RC. I've learned not to drive on my street.. Because parked cars like to jump out in front of my RC all the time and break shocktowers and front ends.😉🤣🤣 they are built to break in curtain places.just got to be patiencent ..So weather you drop the hobby or not that's up too you bud.. I would say stay with it it can only get better. The smaller rigs dint break as much. But then it's all about upgrades. This hobby will drain a bank account. Just as fast as gambling.. it all comes down to you and what you want to do bud... if you need help fixing something post it up on here there's a good group of guys more then willing to help out. Just take a deep breath. And relax don't let the hobby beat you. Your supposed to beat on the RCs and break them and fix them and do it again... if you need anything hit me up I will help ya bud

I would hate to see you give up the hobby Steve. I would try a couple different things before you sell out and move on to something else.
Honestly, it doesn't bother me what so ever when I break something because I love wrenching on the them more than driving.
Maybe you should try different terrain or change up your style a driving a little bit like the guys suggested. Change up gears so see if your rig likes something different.
RCs break, that's just the way it is. The first time I went out and nothing broke, I just about had an organism. :D
I agree with guys above, don't give up just yet, change up a few things.
It's also quite possible you got ahold of a complete lemon. I have one and I'm sure everybody does.
Stick with it my man and post some pics of the breakages. We might spot something that would help.

Hello Steve38

Think about it for a week or two or three.

Seems to be a lot of experienced and helpful people on this forum. If you tell us what you are breaking, I expect that others will help you reduce that.

Stuff breaks. I am fortunate that there are a few hobby shops with great stock of spare parts within 15 miles, so I can replace anything I have broken that day, or the next day. Just got in to RC a few months ago.

My two most important lessons from experience:

1. Traxxas Hoss has a "training mode" ("beginner mode") in the ESC. Every time I take it out of 'training mode' and put it in 'regular' I break something within 2 minutes. Do not remember breaking anything in "training mode" so that's where I keep it for the foreseeable future.
  2. Do not run the truck in the street. Hitting a curb is same as hitting a huge tree. Also, one time I ran it into a storm drain... got it stopped before it disappeared, all I saw was the rear bumper as I ran like heck to grab it.

I appreciate the kind words. So heres it.....I'm a 38 yr old guy. Wife and 23yr old Autistic son at home. I always wanted a hobby grade RC. When I was a kid in the projects id walked a few miles 1 way to a very small hobby shop. Thats when I seen them the first time. Just a oval concrete and small small it was. Id watch all the older fellows race all day. But was way too shy and young for them prob to even see me. But, as said I lived in the projects so def no cool rc for me then.
Growing up I fell head first into football. My 1st true love. Absolutely zero free time for anything. That was way more of blessing as I found out later in life.
So skip to after 🎓 of high school. Id hoped to play college ball. But my 5'10" 260lbs frame wasn't tall enough and my fat boy 40yrd dash 4.9. 🤷. wasn't fast enough.
Also to add I came home 1 night after practice and work to find my mother sitting in the floor packing her stuff. She moves to Texas the next day with a stranger. I was 17. Coach didnt get my letters to me from a couple junior colleges. I hung out with his son. Coach thought I smoked herb back then. Rest of the team did mostly. Not this guy. Atleast then. 😆. All that paired with my fathers death the next year.....i lost it.
For the next 10-12 yrs I was a terrible person, criminal, drug dealer, got in with lower levels Mexican mafia in South GA.
Didnt realize I was telling my life story lol. Sry. Quick end here. I meet my wife 12 yrs ago. Got clean. She already had our son. As he got older and progressed I have been in and out of everything a person can imagine to find something we both can do together. As hes bored with ol' dad most of the time lol.
I brought up RC. And I've only let it screw things up. I had thought I knew or studied enough to atleast have an idea of the fun. No idea on all else. He now is more pissed than I am that we can't keep it running. Or have it look how we want only to make it trash partz more often.
So thats why my frustration. Plus no I dont have much in monetary funds. But either way when anyone puts out this much time and money for this....its hard to stomach. I have 2 kinda local shops. 1 is hr and half away. And more given terrible advice from day 1. Or so I've been told. The other is well just not that ok with newbs. My questions seem stupid to them.
I gotta head to work. Thanks guys for ur help. I'll think about it. But maybe smaller is better for now.

All that said I honestly do think I ended up with a 🍋. I feel like it got hot in the truck shipping or in a car. I called and asked twice about it looking a bit used and seems like lots of parts are heat warped just enough....but what do I know 😆

Thanks for sharing your story. Around here you can be comfortable asking anything you want. I may not be able to answer it but I can certainly point you in the right direction. Have a great day at work.

I appreciate the kind words. So heres it.....I'm a 38 yr old guy. Wife and 23yr old Autistic son at home. I always wanted a hobby grade RC. When I was a kid in the projects id walked a few miles 1 way to a very small hobby shop. Thats when I seen them the first time. Just a oval concrete and small small it was. Id watch all the older fellows race all day. But was way too shy and young for them prob to even see me. But, as said I lived in the projects so def no cool rc for me then.
Growing up I fell head first into football. My 1st true love. Absolutely zero free time for anything. That was way more of blessing as I found out later in life.
So skip to after 🎓 of high school. Id hoped to play college ball. But my 5'10" 260lbs frame wasn't tall enough and my fat boy 40yrd dash 4.9. 🤷. wasn't fast enough.
Also to add I came home 1 night after practice and work to find my mother sitting in the floor packing her stuff. She moves to Texas the next day with a stranger. I was 17. Coach didnt get my letters to me from a couple junior colleges. I hung out with his son. Coach thought I smoked herb back then. Rest of the team did mostly. Not this guy. Atleast then. 😆. All that paired with my fathers death the next year.....i lost it.
For the next 10-12 yrs I was a terrible person, criminal, drug dealer, got in with lower levels Mexican mafia in South GA.
Didnt realize I was telling my life story lol. Sry. Quick end here. I meet my wife 12 yrs ago. Got clean. She already had our son. As he got older and progressed I have been in and out of everything a person can imagine to find something we both can do together. As hes bored with ol' dad most of the time lol.
I brought up RC. And I've only let it screw things up. I had thought I knew or studied enough to atleast have an idea of the fun. No idea on all else. He now is more pissed than I am that we can't keep it running. Or have it look how we want only to make it trash partz more often.
So thats why my frustration. Plus no I dont have much in monetary funds. But either way when anyone puts out this much time and money for this....its hard to stomach. I have 2 kinda local shops. 1 is hr and half away. And more given terrible advice from day 1. Or so I've been told. The other is well just not that ok with newbs. My questions seem stupid to them.
I gotta head to work. Thanks guys for ur help. I'll think about it. But maybe smaller is better for now.

All that said I honestly do think I ended up with a 🍋. I feel like it got hot in the truck shipping or in a car. I called and asked twice about it looking a bit used and seems like lots of parts are heat warped just enough....but what do I know 😆
Well bud sorry to hear about the struggles. Trust me I was in the same boat when I was that age.. I spent a few yrs in and out of jails and rehabs. But your on a good path as of now. So none of that matter anymore. I know it's rough.. I deal with demons every day...and glad that the hobby has helped in a little way with you and your autistic son.. I'm sure that is a trying and frustrating aspect in life for him and you to deal with and go threw.. But as far as the the RC hobby goes. Not sure if you bought a new RC or used by the sound of it. You got a used RC. I hope that you can get past that and stay with it. You really don't need alot of money. To be in the is hobby and have fun with it.. I broke my rc everytime I took it out when I was younger.. the bigger 1/10 1/8 and so on. Are more expensive then the littler ones.. not as fast but not that expensive either the crawlers are a fun RC to use.. you can get 1/24 scale crawlers for around 119$ complete RTR.. and theybhave upgrades as well.. but they are more likely not to break as much.. it sounds like that would be your better bet for your situation. And you don't need hardly any space to run them. As there are guys in here building indoor courses.. with the bigger ones it sometimes better to run them in open fields so there's less to crash into and break stuff.. its just a matter of what suits you better man. If need be please you can PM me. And I can try to due my beat to help younwith getting the truck you have running. And pint in in the rite direction.. hope you have a good day at work. And it will get better don't let the other as*hats at your hobby shops put you down. We are all here to help in anyway we can. So let me or us know what is the exact problem with the RC pictures will help alot also. I'm on here all the time. And you can always PM me if you want.. just use the envelope up top and put in my name. And it will come directly to me.... hope that we can fix the problem your haven bud👍👍👍

Frustration happens when you are learning anything new. Bashing can get expensive by nature. Honestly I'm amazed this stuff holds up as well as it does considering the abuse we give them.

I have been loving my crawlers lately, the only real expense has been voluntary upgrades. I have only broken one part, and that was my own oops while wrenching. Crawling is relaxing, slower paced than the bashing adrenaline rush. It's a challenge but some folks might find it dull. Eventually you will find that sweet spot in the hobby.

I too have to watch where my money is going. If your not getting your monies worth in time spent enjoying the hobby, it may very well be worth a change. Watch some crawling vids on you tube and see it it looks interesting enough to try. Once your vehicle is set up the way you want it, there is almost no replacement necessary....huge savings in parts. But once again, it's not for everybody. I've also noticed crawlers are much easier to clean after a session ( as long as you stay out of the wet stuff).

Ok. Gotta work till 9pm. Then next couple days off. Rain in droves. So time is now to get this straight. If it ends in a crawler....so be it 😆. Or 2 small crawlers....i like doubles. Its how I used to drinks my shots.
I really appreciate even u guys taking ur time to help out. I'll get some fresh pics and get my thoughts together tonight. I'm not great with reading text getting people tones and then applying. I'm total show me live 1 time. Let me try 1 time then usually off to the races. I pick up usually pretty quick. But my father was the mechanic and that kinda stuff kicked my but for yrs now. Maybe i shoulda been a mechanic. 😆

I understand your background as mine has some similar threads running through it. A lot of similar threads lol. Even dealing drugs for the Mexican mafia when I lived in San Antonio Texas. Thats something I regret now but when your 19 with no real education except a high school diploma and the only trade you know you hate then you discover you can be making 20 times more money and driving a BMW well lets just say 19 years olds aint to smart in the first place under good circumstances.... Plus my dad was an alcoholic who was almost never around because if he wasn't at work he was at a bar somewhere and my mom lived on the other side of the US at that time.

Since then I've turned my life around, went back and furthered my education got a couple of certifications under my belt and made a little something out of my life. 10.5 years ago I met my wife and shes be a big positive force in my life. Id stopped doing drugs except for weed but I've even stopped doing that since I had a heart attack back in June. Trying to get healthier and be more productive than I used to be. At any rate, like I said not the same but got some similar threads there. Even had the same obsession with RC when I was a kid. Whenever I ended up at the mall (usually because I walked there but on rare occasions my dad would take me) I always went to the hobby shop and was obsessed with nitro rigs. Hell even played a little football in HS too.

Anyway, the hobby can be frustrating cuz I can hardly take a rig out without breaking it but as I mentioned in the thread earlier eventually as you replace those failed parts with aftermarket parts it will become tougher but its a process to get it there and aftermarket parts are expensive. If you have rocky terrain available to you then crawlers might just be the way to go because they arent put through nearly as much abuse as basher rigs but thats not to say that they wont break down too. RTRs for example are notorious for having junk servos in them that usually stop working after awhile, even in crawlers. As for hobby shops, theyre a great place to pick up parts fast but most of them a poop for getting good advice because they care more about selling something then they do educating hobbyists. At any rate we hope ya stick with it and stick around. Were a pretty tight knit group here and half of us know each other backgrounds, at least to certain extents, cuz were all pretty open with each other. Look forward to seeing how it turns out for ya. :)

I understand your background as mine has some similar threads running through it. A lot of similar threads lol. Even dealing drugs for the Mexican mafia when I lived in San Antonio Texas. Thats something I regret now but when your 19 with no real education except a high school diploma and the only trade you know you hate then you discover you can be making 20 times more money and driving a BMW well lets just say 19 years olds aint to smart in the first place under good circumstances.... Plus my dad was an alcoholic who was almost never around because if he wasn't at work he was at a bar somewhere and my mom lived on the other side of the US at that time.

Since then I've turned my life around, went back and furthered my education got a couple of certifications under my belt and made a little something out of my life. 10.5 years ago I met my wife and shes be a big positive force in my life. Id stopped doing drugs except for weed but I've even stopped doing that since I had a heart attack back in June. Trying to get healthier and be more productive than I used to be. At any rate, like I said not the same but got some similar threads there. Even had the same obsession with RC when I was a kid. Whenever I ended up at the mall (usually because I walked there but on rare occasions my dad would take me) I always went to the hobby shop and was obsessed with nitro rigs. Hell even played a little football in HS too.

Anyway, the hobby can be frustrating cuz I can hardly take a rig out without breaking it but as I mentioned in the thread earlier eventually as you replace those failed parts with aftermarket parts it will become tougher but its a process to get it there and aftermarket parts are expensive. If you have rocky terrain available to you then crawlers might just be the way to go because they arent put through nearly as much abuse as basher rigs but thats not to say that they wont break down too. RTRs for example are notorious for having junk servos in them that usually stop working after awhile, even in crawlers. As for hobby shops, theyre a great place to pick up parts fast but most of them a poop for getting good advice because they care more about selling something then they do educating hobbyists. At any rate we hope ya stick with it and stick around. Were a pretty tight knit group here and half of us know each other backgrounds, at least to certain extents, cuz were all pretty open with each other. Look forward to seeing how it turns out for ya. :)
You know in life there are just those times when you feel like no one can relate and the harder you try the more life kicks back. Although on a very rare occasion you may link up was someone that understands a lot more than you would ever expect and for some reason that helps....sadly 😆. I hate we all have crap things that happens. But just think of the excess exclusion and isolation it deters for some folks.

So you telling me I need to plan for a heart attack in a few years???😳😳😳🤣.
Hope ur ticker keeps ticking a long time sir. If u dont mind I know it actually raises heart rate but, other reasons on quitting Herb after heart attack?

You know in life there are just those times when you feel like no one can relate and the harder you try the more life kicks back. Although on a very rare occasion you may link up was someone that understands a lot more than you would ever expect and for some reason that helps....sadly 😆. I hate we all have crap things that happens. But just think of the excess exclusion and isolation it deters for some folks.

So you telling me I need to plan for a heart attack in a few years???😳😳😳🤣.
Hope ur ticker keeps ticking a long time sir. If u dont mind I know it actually raises heart rate but, other reasons on quitting Herb after heart attack?
lol, the heart attack is because I'm fat, getting old, and not terribly active. Heart disease also is pretty rampant in my family. The 2 main reasons I stopped smoking was because I'm more motivated to do things when I'm not high like get on my treadmill and I get the atomic rubber belly somethin' fierce which causes me to over eat really badly. Not everyone has these issue and can smoke and still do their daily routine fairly normal but I'm not one of those people so for the sake of improving my health I decided to stop smoking. :)

Last edited:
lol, the heart attack is because I'm fat, getting old, and not terribly active. Heart disease also is pretty rampant in my family. The 2 main reasons I stopped smoking was because I'm more motivated to do things when I'm not high like get on my treadmill and I get the atomic rubby belly somethin' fierce which causes me to over eat really badly. Not everyone has these issue and can smoke and still do their daily routine fairly normal but I'm not one of those people so for the sake of improving my health I decided to stop smoking. :)
Much respect then. I'm all for better health. After i graduated I lost all the football/powerlifting muscle. Straight to fat. And got tired of not being able to wash or scratch my own back. I'm down to 200lbs now. But my job I walk 8-15miles 6 days a week. Sometimes less sometimes more. It helps cause I won't do extra working out these days almost hurts too much. I've messed my back and shoulders up pretty bad. Used to pick up back ends of small cars. 4 bundles shingles blah blah now is ouch ouch grunt fart ouch. 😆.
Due to my inability to cope with life. I use marijuana heavily. For adhd like anxiety. And I like to get high. I try to be as honest as I can. I've found a nice routine with a mix of diff intakes. Concentrates for a bit on the energetic high. As I deal with frustrated public all day. Flower for night time no matter the strain. Always a heavier high. Edibles not my thing. But alot of folks swear by them for not as heavy hitting high. If ur moving as u get high I think ppl are apt to stay moving. Physics stuff that I can't explain 😆

Much respect then. I'm all for better health. After i graduated I lost all the football/powerlifting muscle. Straight to fat. And got tired of not being able to wash or scratch my own back. I'm down to 200lbs now. But my job I walk 8-15miles 6 days a week. Sometimes less sometimes more. It helps cause I won't do extra working out these days almost hurts too much. I've messed my back and shoulders up pretty bad. Used to pick up back ends of small cars. 4 bundles shingles blah blah now is ouch ouch grunt fart ouch. 😆.
Due to my inability to cope with life. I use marijuana heavily. For adhd like anxiety. And I like to get high. I try to be as honest as I can. I've found a nice routine with a mix of diff intakes. Concentrates for a bit on the energetic high. As I deal with frustrated public all day. Flower for night time no matter the strain. Always a heavier high. Edibles not my thing. But alot of folks swear by them for not as heavy hitting high. If ur moving as u get high I think ppl are apt to stay moving. Physics stuff that I can't explain 😆
I totally get it.

BTW, that was suppsoed to say "atomic rubber belly" lol

Ok guys. So the rebuild is gonna happen. I've conquered way worse for goodness sakes. Its on!!
So heres the idea for the truck. You all let me know on how realistic the idea and if its possible. NOT the HOW yet. Please. Too much info overloads my eyes lol.
LOOK: Just as this pick looks... I'm really looking for the Jacked Up Truck look. Which I'm almost good with how it looks. other than some paint and true cosmetic things.
USE: Badass bashing!! Flipping and all that is way off still. Not really gonna ramp it yet. So a ground a$$ kicker.
WHERE: Mostly park area. Lots of big grass hills. Very short grass. Lots of sidewalk transitions. * why I wanted to raise truck in first place* under tree dirt areas. And a little just back and forth pavement running. i dont have any good dirt areas around so far that I've found. No rc tracks.
Will it wear on parts sitting the truck up this way?? Maybe putting harsher angles on driveshafts tie rod ends etc??

Back