what to check on a used savage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonmouthkid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hello,

i have bought a used hpi savage 25. i have taken it completely apart and inspected everything from the diffs, trans and the mill. upgraded a few things like the radio box and added a motor protector,and charging jack. but I'm still not sure of the condition of the mill (dont know how many gallons?). i found metal flakes in the crank case and on the piston inside the sleeve. could this possibly be from worn bearings?
and there seems to be alot of glitching in the throtle servo.
it has a 6v 1200 mah hump pack.

and would appreciate any other sugestions on what else to check

i am wondering why there arent any stickies on how to buy a used rc?

i would change all the servos
clean the diffs and replace the grease

how is the compression on the engine if it has lots IE hardish to turn the fly wheel by hand i would treat it as new and would do a break in procedure
( i had to do with my new used truggy that was only used twice )

if i were you i would tear the engine apart and inspect the piston and liner for score marks ect and check the bearings and crank shaft to see if the metal shavings are left over from the production of the crank or if there is some other unseen problem

if you are unsure post pics of the engine components inside & out once it has been stripped down and we will give you advice on were to go from there

also you will want to make sure you get a FAIL SAFE and set it correctly will save some $$ in the long run ( you dont want a runaway ) if you have a 2.4GHZ radio gear most have them built in so again make sure its set ( follow the instruction manuel )

this is a 2.4GHZ radio gear with the built in fail safe
Fail-Safe.jpg

this is what most AM radio fail safes look like
fail2.jpg

most of the time to set a fail safe you push the little button on it and push the transmitter trigger to full break position and hold the button on the fail safe for 5 seconds then turn off the transmitter to check if its set correctly ( while the engine is off )

( sorry if I'm talking like your a noob or if i make any spelling and grammar mistakes its past 2AM and I'm tired but can't sleep got to love insomnia )

Guys sorry if i missing something

Edit

forgot to mention

check the gearbox and clutch bell & clutch shoes for excessive wear and make sure the clutch bell & spur gear teeth are not to heavily worn or damaged again post pics if you are unsure

Last edited:
There's a great sticky at the top of the nitro forum. The metal flakes are probably from the sleeve. May indicate some abuse or just a lot of fuel run through the engine.

911: the rx is the stock hpi. it does not have the fail safe yet. i do plan on installing 1 over winter. i will put up pics when i find a good web site to load them on the net(photo bucket sucks!) dont worry about the tone of the conversation I've been through worse recently. atleast i can find help here

matt: I'm sure the rc is older than 5 years so your most likely right, alot of both "abuse and fuel" should replace the old mill since i dont know the age.

Investing in a new mill wouldn't be a bad idea. Take a look at any of the LRP engines. Either the .28, .30, or .32. Those should give you plenty of power over the stock mill.

Back