What on earth should I buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izigoth

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

I'm new (first post! yee!) on this excellent board.
I currently own a Kyosho old skool 4WD Lancia thing, that has to be about 12 years old, if not more.
I want something new. I dusted off the radio control shelf and my eyes opened when I saw how this hobby has evolved in all those years: it actually is within reach now.

My main interest is a monster truck, but i have some (maybe n00b) questions.
I don't know what to buy...
I REALLY like the looks of the Savage SS... it's mean etc, but what you people call 'bashing' (wtf is that?) is not what i'm looking for I think. My current car is not something to eh, tear apart or jump with etc, itc a race thingie. Altho I like jumps and tricks I need a slick controllable thing so I think a Savage might be a bit too bumpy.

I can pick up a nice second hand GS Racing SUT (RTR) but from what I've read there are some problems with it and there aren't really too much after market things available.

Things that need to be available the least are alloy links, other wheels etc...

I'm not a pro and nver will be and not really interested in competition racing either, just fun... The hobby for me has to be a combination of driving and working on the car as that's something I enjoyed most on my current one. Working doesn't mean it has to break every 5 seconds it has to be reliable

Anywayz... your opinions please!
I like the Losi stuff but it's pretty unavailable here in Belgium. HPI is pretty big here and apparently GS Racing as well... Tamiya too but I need Nitro and most of their stuff is electric.

Thankz!

"bashing" is any form of unorganized use of an RC car. running in the backyard, jumping, up and down the street, etc.

just how precise do you want your RC car? if your not planning to race, a savage may be fine for you. and its one of the toughest trucks you will find. if you want something a little more precise, but still a monster truck, have a look at the Traxxas Revo. its pretty durable, and handles incredibly well. there are plenty of aftermarket parts available for each. the GS storm rtr, is a nice truck, it does have a few shortcommings as do most RC cars, and the fixes for it are relatively easy to do. there are also a lot of parts availible for this truck as well.

you may also want to have a look at 1/8th scale buggies, they are very durable, very fast, and the most precise of the offroad vehicles available. what they have in speed and handling though, they lack in ground clearance. so they wont go over and through everything that a truck will.

hope that gets you off to a good start.

You will like a savage, but they are big and heavy and instead of turning around things you just run them over :)

If you want a precise off road machine either a 1/8 buggy/truggy, or a Traxas Revo would be good. The GS SUT is called a truggy, basically a buggy converted to a truck for some more ground clearance. Anything listed above will be a blast, its up to you which one you want. GOdd luck and welcome to rcnt!

Hi,

Thanks for the infoz!
I like the hop-ups you have for Savage and the run-over-anythin-you-see idea is tempting, but I need something that's also razor sharp in turns so I think that whole truck thing might bore me some day.

Also... nowadays all yuo have is RTR's... is there anything on the market you still need to assemble? I think it kinda sucks to just open a box put in some batteries and fuel and ride. It's too... easy :D

I like the buggy thing but to me it seems there are not much after market things for it? The Storm Pro seems slick, but what's price range and can you get other tyres/wheels/body etc?

A savage seems much more... erm... customizable, you can whack any kind of body on it... :D

How pricise I want it: pretty controllable, as my first ever was a Kyosho Optima Mid and that thing was a bloody razor, I reaaaally like it!

Argh so much choises!

There are a lot of choices. And no doubt it's difficult to weed through it. It does sound to me like you're looking for a ride that has a lot of power, able to withstand a fair beating, but is still quick and nimble. A 1/8 scale buggy fits that bill pretty well. The only downside is that they are very low-slung and are not as capable of tackling the same kind of terrain that a monster truck would handle. There are a lot of custom parts available for many kits especially the Ofna Hyper 7 series. Granted, the bodies are a bit limited.
And although RTR's seem to dominate the market, there are still kits available. Many buggies come as kits. And the Savage SS is a kit so you can enjoy building it. So I guess there are a lot of choices out there. Sometimes it's tough to narrow down. Or you could do like the rest of us and buy 1 of each. :)

If HPI is readily available and you are looking at a being able to do a little of both, consider an RS4 MT2. I have a MT2 ss 18 (it's a kit), loads of power, scary fast, and very precise if i put the road dawg tires on it and run it in the street. It handles relatively smooth dirt ok ( with the stock springs it just bounces around in the really rough dirt and does not have the clearance of a savage or TMaxx). I dont really jump mine alot, but from vids i've seen, it can do some jumping and bashing.

PS. the MT is not nearly as tough as a savage and cannot stand up to abuse, but it makes up for that in control and quickness. can't wait to get out to a track and see how it stacks up against a Revo or my savage...

Last edited:
Savage is nice and so is Revo honestly itll depend on your budget and purposes

Holy cow Nevaren that MT2 is EXACTLY what I need!!!
What did it cost, and what servo's u put it in? I can reuse my Megatech Futaba transmitter and receiver (2 channel but enuff I recon)...

Damn, nice truck... I think I made the decision :D

man get an 1/8 scale buggy...you can adjust the suspension so it's just as if not higher than your kyosho...put road tires on it you have a nice rally style car...put spikes on it and you will be tearing up off road faster than any other style RC and they are way more fun than the STs.....also more tuning options w/ an 1/8 scale buggy if you really like being able to tweak your ride...you can get a bunch of different kits...they are more money but in the long run you'll save more from not snapping A-arms and lightweight parts off of the Stadium trucks.....or the Revo is good price and just ass kicking fun......the revo IMO is the best choice for all around do everything w/ one RC

i know you like the kit form but i would have to agree with the revo it handles awsome out of the box but within a mater of minutes you can go from way down low cornering machine to way up high run over anything monster truck plus if you like to know wht is made of order a stainles screw kit or something and tear it down and you will have a kit
just my :2cents:

Revo if you do not mind RTR and the MT2 SS 18 if you want a kit. Or even the Savage kit.

Your stock radio may not work as you need three channels for some of these rigs for the reverse, unless you plan to run without it.

the Revo does sound like the right choice for you. i have a hpi NMT, its a good truck, just not durable enough, I've put a few hundred $ into it beefing it up, and its still sitting on my shelf because my monster trucks and 1/8th buggies are just more fun and durable. the revo handles just as well by the way.

savage w/ a high torque servo like the hs-5945mg quick at .13seconds and 181oz. of torque i like it well and can turn my big joes sitting still. add some nova shock towers and 4"inch shocks and it ccan be adjusted to sit on the ground if you want or sit 3"inches high.

if your just playing with it and want tough,fast get savage. oh and they make a big block kit called the k4.6. i jump mine and beat the hell out of it. so far only spur gears as my springs weren't lining up but now it is fixed and the spur is just as it's suppose to be. and it wheelies on command.

i would have to also recommend the revo. i got mine about a month ago and it handles just like a buggy. it also has alot of power and is very fast right out of the box. the only thing bad is that it dosnt come in kit form which is what you want. but i would still recommend the revo over anything.

You had mentioned HPI is easy to get, that's why i sugested MT2, compared to the revo it's somewhat frail. and the Revo is RTR.

I would probly have bought the revo over the MT2 if i wasn't such a hardcore HPI fan.

Revo is a very well designed truck, and i will probly have a tough time hanging with them on the track.
I was looking at the revo and the MT2 when i bought mine, kit vs rtr, is what persuaded me. plus i had owned 3 MT1's previously, and already knew where the weak points were. (ball cups, ball ends etc, replaced with RPM ball cups and Ti ball ends as i built the kit.)

take what's said as food for thought and do yer own research, whatever ya buy, welcome to the club and have fun!

Ok heres everything I would suggest.

Monster truck - Revo because you say you want a more precise truck.

1/8th Buggy - Way too many options to pick one right off the bat all are very similar. I would highly suggest getting a 1/8th scale buggy. They are much faster that the MT2 and can handle similar terrain.

Stadium truck - If you have your mind set on a ST the HPI Nitro MT2 .18SS would be the way to go.

I always thought the STs to get were the RC10GT and the Losi XXX-NT series trucks?
what's so good / different about the MT2?

The RC10GT and Losi XXX-NT I hear are great for racing, but are more fragile. The MT2 .18SS is 4wd and the entire drivetrain was beefed up. HD diff gears, CVDs, and stuff. Plus it has the .18 which I hear is very fast.

Back