What does the”s” stand for?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siclic

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi all, was wondering with the lipo batterys, what does the s stand for 2s, 4s, 6s ect?

The s also can mean Cells... people have used that as cell count but when it is used on a battery it does mean series...2s can mean 2 cells..

Typically it means the cells are wired in series to end up with the sum of the voltage of the number of cells. Depending on the pack, you can see something like 2S2P, 3S2P, 2S1P, 3S1P, etc. 2S = 2 cells wired in series, 2P = 2 cells wired in parallel. So a 2S2P pack will have a total of 4 cells in it. 2 pairs wired in parallel that are pairs wired in series. I think they do it to be able to have cheaper individual cells with an end result of higher capacity and higher current flow.

I try to only buy #S1P though. The more cells in a pack, the more likely it is you will lose a cell and the whole pack becomes garbage. So I avoid the ones that have cells wired in parallel also. This may not be true, but I still avoid them.

The s also can mean Cells... people have used that as cell count but when it is used on a battery it does mean series...2s can mean 2 cells..
Oh, makes sense..thanks bro

Typically it means the cells are wired in series to end up with the sum of the voltage of the number of cells. Depending on the pack, you can see something like 2S2P, 3S2P, 2S1P, 3S1P, etc. 2S = 2 cells wired in series, 2P = 2 cells wired in parallel. So a 2S2P pack will have a total of 4 cells in it. 2 pairs wired in parallel that are pairs wired in series. I think they do it to be able to have cheaper individual cells with an end result of higher capacity and higher current flow.

I try to only buy #S1P though. The more cells in a pack, the more likely it is you will lose a cell and the whole pack becomes garbage. So I avoid the ones that have cells wired in parallel also. This may not be true, but I still avoid them.
I feel the same way about LiPo packs with parallel cells wired in them. Generally you will have a greater chance that a pack will have parallel cells when large capacities are wanted.

Sometimes it's inevitable to buy a pack with parallel cells in them. That was the case for me two years ago when searching for a 2S shorty pack at a good price point. They were all 2S2P. I had pretty good luck with the pack I bought, but two years into it, I now feel slight puffing. The case hasn't split open, but keeping an eye on the pack as I am eyeballing shorties available nowadays with 2S1P configuration.

Hi all, was wondering with the lipo batterys, what does the s stand for 2s, 4s, 6s ect?
A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries... https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

1596711938992.png

Back