What 1/8 nitro monster truck is peoples favorites?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyJamNitroFan

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a 1/8 nitro monster truck and I have a couple in mind but the couple that I am leaning towards are as follows:

1. HPI Savage XL
2. HPI Savage X
3. Keyosho Mad Crusher
4. And Exceed has a big truck I think is called the Mad Beast

So I want opinions on these or any others that are really good trucks. Thanks!

I think any of your listed trucks are a good choice, I personally would include the Traxxas TMaxx..
I still have my original T Maxx

Last edited:
I’m looking to get a 1/8 nitro monster truck and I have a couple in mind but the couple that I am leaning towards are as follows:

1. HPI Savage XL
2. HPI Savage X
3. Keyosho Mad Crusher
4. And Exceed has a big truck I think is called the Mad Beast

So I want opinions on these or any others that are really good trucks. Thanks!
savages are pretty renown for being durable, dont forget the Losi trucks, even if you get the gas version as a roller or with a blown engine, a nitro is a drop in replacement.
my all time favorite 1/8 nitro is probably the associated MGT. durable, quick (even for a 15+lb truck) easy to work on, just a few screws and your electronics box and engine is off and ready for a spray down.
personally i loved my T-Maxx, but i hated it at the same time very much a love/hate relationship. was awesome when it ran, but what broken alot, (drivetrain, bulkheads, transmission issues, trans braces, chassis flex so many stripped spur gears, etc. weirdly never broke an A-arm) main saving grace was that replacement parts are common and my LHS had em.

The ones that get converted to electric :p

Kidding... kidding.... I hear good things about the Savage Xl but no personal experience there

Just for a "thinking outside the box" idea, you could also take a racer like a Losi Truggy and install monster truck tires on it.

Awesome guys thx so far. I was going to put the losi and t-maxx on the list but forgot so great to be reminded of them. Really am personally leaning toward the savage xl but wasn’t sure sure if the regular one was better or not. But gonna be a little while before I can grab one so I’m sure I’ll change my mind 19 times by then. Lol.

You also kind of have to take into account that HPI has been open/closed/bankrupt a few times over the past 5 years or so... which would make it tough for me to suggest anyone buy a savage. I have a Savage X and Flux HP.

While the MGT was a nice truck, it's no longer available and some of the parts are getting tough to find.

If you just want to bash, then a 2 speed with slipper is nice, but there aren't many around these days. If you want to run on a track, then a single speed truggy would work well, which you can get from tekno, losi and maybe associated as well as other brands.

I was watching Kevin Talbot on youtube the other day, he had a Hobao Hyper MT that looked pretty cool. Don't know much about it. He had a couple videos where he's running it, but it's not broken in yet and he's kind of abusing it a tad early. So hard to tell how it will really end up working out.

All that said, I did see a recent post on the savage forum regarding a new owner:
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/posts/215098/

Which puts a savage back on the list. ;)

You also kind of have to take into account that HPI has been open/closed/bankrupt a few times over the past 5 years or so... which would make it tough for me to suggest anyone buy a savage. I have a Savage X and Flux HP.

While the MGT was a nice truck, it's no longer available and some of the parts are getting tough to find.

If you just want to bash, then a 2 speed with slipper is nice, but there aren't many around these days. If you want to run on a track, then a single speed truggy would work well, which you can get from tekno, losi and maybe associated as well as other brands.

I was watching Kevin Talbot on youtube the other day, he had a Hobao Hyper MT that looked pretty cool. Don't know much about it. He had a couple videos where he's running it, but it's not broken in yet and he's kind of abusing it a tad early. So hard to tell how it will really end up working out.

All that said, I did see a recent post on the savage forum regarding a new owner:

really happy they are back going again, HPI has been around to long and making great product for so long, would be a shame for them to go.

really happy they are back going again, HPI has been around to long and making great product for so long, would be a shame for them to go.
I agree. Also holding out hope that they are still coming back. Especially since I started running 6S in my flux! LOL!

I agree. Also holding out hope that they are still coming back. Especially since I started running 6S in my flux! LOL!
just got my old HPI Wheely King back together as well, was my first hobby grade RC, back when they first came out with them.

Awesome man thx for the info. Just looking to bash really and want something durable more than anything but powerful as well. The XL intrigues me because of the third gear but not sure. Everyone has great points!

Back