Waterproofing RC - this is awesome stuff!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcrawler67

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
So, a while back, when I was first getting into RC's, one of the guys at my LHS told me about a product for waterproofing my RX's/ESC's/other electronics. It has stuck with me and has been a wonderous life saver. It is ACRYLIC CONFORMAL COATING. Non-heat cured. Meaning you don't need to apply heat to dry it. I have used it in almost all of my RC's so far in some part.

Well, today, I was really glad I had it. Because when I sent my CC MAMBA X in to be repaired/replaced I needed and ESC for my 22S SCT. I picked up a Hobbywing 10BL120 (1st gen) that isn't waterproof from the factory like the new Gen 2 is. So, I cracked open the case and slathered it all over inside and on the CAP pack and external switch. Pics included of the disassembled ESC.
20230823_000825.jpg
20230823_000830.jpg
20230823_000832.jpg
20230823_000845.jpg
20230823_000848.jpg
coating.jpg

I need to do this to some of my rigs.
So what is the difference between this stuff and some clear nail polish?
@tntpoof , your link is not working.

I've heard the silicone is better than the acrylic https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Silicone coating has better mechanical shock resistance (flexibility), is designed for harsher service environments, has better (liquid) water repulsión, better chemical resistance, and is soft, yet tough and durable.

I need to do this to some of my rigs.
So what is the difference between this stuff and some clear nail polish?
@tntpoof , your link is not working.
The clear acrylic nails polish doesn't last over time it turns yellow and flakes off.

I've heard the silicone is better than the acrylic https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Silicone coating has better mechanical shock resistance (flexibility), is designed for harsher service environments, has better (liquid) water repulsión, better chemical resistance, and is soft, yet tough and durable.

The clear acrylic nails polish doesn't last over time it turns yellow and flakes off.
That's cool. I was only informed of the acrylic at the time so thats what I bought. Might hafta try the silicone conformal.

Conformal coatings have been around for a long time. Way back in the 1980s, the USAF sent me to a NASA soldering class... among other things, we had to remove and replace components covered in conformal coating... NASA loved the stuff!

Waterproofing your rig is a definite upgrade. Love being able to hose off the truck after a particularly messy run.

Anyone know of a way to waterproof the ESC fan, or if there is anything available like that?

Waterproofing your rig is a definite upgrade. Love being able to hose off the truck after a particularly messy run.

Anyone know of a way to waterproof the ESC fan, or if there is anything available like that?
Unfortunately, the fan has actual moving parts and is quite difficult to waterproof. However, I believe if you can safely remove blade assembly and put some conformal coating on the electrical parts thats the best you can do.

Back