Warm/hot esc and motor Stock Axial Wraith!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistidNitro

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so here is the Breakdown!! I got the Axial wraith about two weeks ago, along with 2 Venom 4000mAh 2's I did the battery relocation and but the esc in the passenger floorboard. I have only ran it a couple times for a small period of time about 10 min each time. I stripped my stock servo horn about a week ago my second time driving it and was waiting for my upgrade to come in the mail and I received it today! Well all was good I installed the servo horn and went out to play, well I was out running it for about 25 minutes the esc was really warm along with the motor? I brought it in the house and put my temp gun on it and the esc was 98 degrees and the motor was about 130 degrees. I was crawling with it most of the time for the 25 min I grabbed all the bricks and logs from around my house and made a small course and full throttled it around the yard maybe 2 times..

So here is my questions.

:\
Is this normal?
How cool/warm/hot should the esc and motor Be?
Is the stock wraith motor and esc good to run on lipo?
The motor and esc smelled hot like warm electronics is that usual or has any one else had that problem?

Thanks everyone!! Hope you all had a merry christmas! :D

I brought it in the house and put my temp gun on it and the esc was 98 degrees and the motor was about 130 degrees.

That's not hot, especially for a brushed can. If the ESC becomes too hot to touch, it's too hot to keep running. Brushed motors can operate at fairly high temperatures, though-upwards of 180*F. With special magnets, they can go much higher.

You can always install cooling fans, though. They're cheap, and smaller ones can be powered off of your receiver if the ESC has no BEC port.

As for LiPo, you just need to run a low voltage cutoff or alarm. Most brushed ESCs will continue to operate when a LiPo drops below minimum voltage, and that's when they become volatile. With a crawler, you're not likely to be far enough away that you wouldn't hear the alarm, and they're far more economical than cutoff units. Under $5.

You can always install cooling fans, though. They're cheap, and smaller ones can be powered off of your receiver if the ESC has no BEC port.

$15 will buy you a descent cooling fan that will certainly help.

The stock esc comes from the factory with low voltage cutoff. Should be set to run those 2s lipos!

The stock esc comes from the factory with low voltage cutoff.

That must be a fairly recent development; my Ridgecrest is not so-equipped.

Yeah the AE-2 has the low voltage cut off set on from stock. My main thing was I didnt know if that was to hot or not. I could pick up a fan for the esc but if thats normal running temp then I am fine with it I just didnt want to burn up the motor or esc.
Thanks for the info,