Motor gets reallly hot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckerjon78

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I have a typhon 3s. Esc and motor or stock. I run 5000 mAhm batteries in it and after 5 to 10 mins my motor gets so hot I can't even touch it. My truck goes Into shutdown mode. I have to wait about 20 mins for it to cool and then it repeats itself. Also can I fit a dual fan to possibly help the heat

Welcome.

Yes, you can use a heat-sink/fan on the motor... Arrma provides one on some of their 3S machines.

Jenny's RC likely has a few for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
try going down in pinion….before fans n such.
If the motor can’t handle 3s it will get hot but I'm not familiar with arrma stuff and what it comes equipped with. How hot does that esc get? Check pinion tooth count and report back to us. Someone that has this vehicle can probably help.

try going down in pinion….before fans n such.
If the motor can’t handle 3s it will get hot but I'm not familiar with arrma stuff and what it comes equipped with. How hot does that esc get? Check pinion tooth count and report back to us. Someone that has this vehicle can probably help.
I am not sure what pinion gear I have. I had my gears upgraded at a hobby shop before I started to do things on my own. And I wanted to know if a dual fan might help or fix the heat problem. Also I upgraded my gears for speed test. I try and go through grass and it gets hot same for on the street. And my esc doesn't get hot at all. A little warm but nothing like the motor. I recently reset the esc back to stock. That might be the problem as well. Maybe with different gears it needs to be set higher

When was the last time you properly serviced the car?

For example, I prefer to do a complete rebuild after every 2 hours of runtime, more info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4308293-Maintenance-Tips

More than likely, you've got a seized bearing or something is binding up in the driveline causing extra friction. Using your finger is not reliable where I recommend investing in a temp gun, more info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...eed-to-run-for-upgraded-electronics-in-my-car

Good Luck!

Sounds like you had gearing put in for making all-out speed runs, which are usually very short runs and thus not enough time to overheat things. If that's the case, then for normal bashing/driving, you are going to want different gearing. Also, every RC toolbox should have a non-contact thermometer in it.

Back