Volcano S30 Remote Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

On board or no on board starter??

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GMitsubishi

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Alright I have a very good few questions here.
The Traxxas 5270R EZ-Start 2 will it bolt right up to the .18SH engine?
Is it the same size one way bearing that is used?
I can see from the photos that it should clear the block ok to be bolted up.
It fits the traxxas 3.3 which is a similar size to the redcat .18SH
If this fits or we can figure a way to set it up then it shall be done..
Thats right and I will begin the first step of making Frankenstien the nitro damnation lol

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.29.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.29.43 PM.png

I've thought about adding a rotostart on my SH .18. I'm pretty new at this though, but the biggest problem I saw is the start is on the back, and the rear suspension assembly gets in the way.
On the Traxxas 3.3 pictures I've seen the exhaust comes out the back, so there is more room on the side/front to access a starter unit.

It's an excellent question, I'll be keen to hear what the experts here have to say. One of these units would save a lot of blisters!

Ok I took some measurements and there is 3 and 1/4 inches of room from center left of the mounted engine block until touching the inner side of the right rear tire..
Looking at how the suspension on the Volcano articulates shows me that there is only 3 inches of room without touching the tire under all articulation angles, 3 and 1/8 inch might be a gamble for full articulation tire rub "hitting while landing a jump or driving over rough terrain".
"judging from being level from the left side of the engine block where a bolt should be as my reference point"
Looking at the pictures and comparing them measurement wise to the rotostart system I have is showing me that it might be in the 3-3 1/2 inch range.
It looks like the header might be an issue for the fitment but I am betting if I can find one with a single bend instead of two bends would grant enough room for it to fit like a glove in the side aspect, Assuming the tire allows the starter to fit.

But on the other hand it looks like if it is just bolted up like it is I might get away with just mm's of clearance over the header.
In the pictures I have also noticed the motor for the starter is at an upward right angle from the top portion of the assembly at about 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 inches to the right and up 3/4 of an inch up from the top right mounting bolt to the bottom of the starter motor. With that being said I think I'm buying this tomorrow and giving it a shot when it comes in the mail.

Last edited:
The old t-maxx .15 pro had an ezstart as well. It was a side exhaust engine. Losi had a remote start system on the ten-t (I think that was the truck). Could maybe use their electronics at least so you don't have to figure something out on your own. Would assume theirs is fully encased/ready for bashing without worry of dirt/vibration wrecking it.

Well I just bought it and a two speed transmission set up with an aluminum two speed bell and aluminum clutch shoes..
We will see, with my background in fabrication and whatnot I'm sure I can give it one hell of a good shot to see if I can make it work with that double bend header.. I was thinking heat tape would be nice if it does fit.
I ordered it an hour ago so now its time to stalk the mailman.

About the dirt and stuff hurting it, I am going to put a thin layer of shoe goo on the crevices to water proof them a little. I am also going to put electrical tape on the wiring and then cover that with automotive grade wire looms. Thats how I've always done wiring on rigs so why not add that personal flair to my rc right? I don't plan on going through any water deeper then the axle height but things do happen..
As a matter of fact I was at a park and went into the grass not knowing the water was nearly six inches deep..
I saw my truck sinking so I floored it and lucky for me the truck rose to the top of the water and hydroplaned back to me without servo damage.. Damb lucky. I am doing walk throughs before a run from now on is the lesson I learned there.

Last edited:
I have 2 traxxas 3.3's with ex starts. I can get you measurements of you need them.

That would be great. I need bolt spacing, unit width "from left bolthole to the end of the electric motor", and how much higher then the top right bolt hole the electric motor is. Those measurements would be a godsend Mike

I will dig out the micrometer (or suitable other) and see what I can do for you tomorrow.

I don't plan on going through any water deeper then the axle height but things do happen..
As a matter of fact I was at a park and went into the grass not knowing the water was nearly six inches deep..
I saw my truck sinking so I floored it and lucky for me the truck rose to the top of the water and hydroplaned back to me without servo damage.. Damb lucky. I am doing walk throughs before a run from now on is the lesson I learned there.
That's why after 15 years of RC, I started using only waterproof servos many years ago. With a nitro rig, if the throttle servo gets wet, they always seem to have a tendency to go WOT as they die. I have yet to have a throttle return spring bring a dead servo back to idle. Popped off linkage or dead receiver battery, yes, TRS works for that. But, when servos die, they always tend to lock in place. Then I have to figure out where the truck went and pick up the pieces. I also put the receiver in a balloon and ziptie it along with the 6V battery pack. However, I also wrap the battery pack with the balloon on it with at least one layer of electrical tape, so the tape absorbs the wear from vibration.

In inches is the measurement I am using.

Got to do a mock up at a hobby shop 30 miles away yesterday.
It WILL fit but I might have to talk to a welder friend and make a custom header unless I can find one that has a 90degree bend directly at the mount or the header.
Another way I saw with mock up was moving my throttle servo to the left a half inch would make room on the left side of the engine and it could mount that way..

@2GMitsubishi. I sent you a pm. I have everything here in my hands to get your actual measurements. (sorry I couldn't get to it in sat, it was hectic here) As I look at it, I'm not 100% as to where to and from to take these measurements. I will be off and on, but around. I do need to step out from about 3:30- 5:00 pm e.s.t. tho. I'll be available otherwise

I really appreciate it man. At this point I'm about to take a hammer to the truck although.
How can you tell if the engine is blown on these?

Ok... Take a step back and a deep breath! What happened to make,you,think,it's smoked. Sorry about the typos. I have a nerve issue

Under no cercumstances will it start..
New hot plug, New fuel filter and lines, Good charge on the igniter
Carb tuning is idk because I can't get a definitive answer on stock tuning for the SH .18
I've got the LSN to 2 1/2 out
1mm gap in the carb
HSN is at 3 out
I have wasted two jugs of traxxas fuel in the last two days trying to get a start out of it. All going out the exhaust.

Ok. To start at the very beginning. Verify the glow plug and igniter is in fact good. Pull the plug and put it in the igniter, make sure it glows bright orange. Also. Is this fuel good and fresh? No way some old fuel somehow got mixed in? If there is a fuel filter, eliminate it for now

Check on all of the above. Removing fuel filter and trying again. Also no on the old fuel I took the tank out last night and flushed it clean to be sure

Set carb at 2 1/2 turns out from bottomed out on hsp, set lsp to flush with housing

Ok. The fuel itself, the fuel from your bottle is new? It can and does go bad from temp and even exposure to light as I have heard... My personal experience with bad fuel has been caused by time. (years)

Are you in a clean place? Like if you ran it without and air filter, just to get running, no damage would result? If so, remove it to eliminate that potential sorse of problem.

Source too

Ocd and typos make me crazy! Sorry again in advance

Ok... So with all this, are you getting any smoke, or is it all fuel dumping?

Last edited:
I tried the settings you said and without the filter. No start.
The fuel is three days old. The truck is two weeks old I've gotten one tank of play after break in and now this

Its all fuel dumping. and yeah I am in a clean environment for running without my air filter on

Back