Velineon vs Castle Creations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Sooner or later hopefully sooner I would like to go brushless in my slash I was thinking of the traxxas system but I have heard a lot of good things about Castle, either the sidewinder or the mamba max. I would like to stay waterproof/resistant are these systems waterproof and what is your opinion on these systems.

Thanks

Both will do a good job, but I don't believe they are water proof, the CC systems I think are going to have more tuning options, and the Mamba Max can handle more power and higher KV motors, IMO the side winder with a 5700 would be more then suficiant in a slash...

I know the Velineon isn't water proof and I really don't think the Mamba is either. I am going to get the Velineon system after the first of the year. One thing I was told by Charlie and others is the Mamba Max can be tailored to your liking via a link to your computer. That in itself may be what you want if you like to tweek things.

castle 4600 or 5700 would be great. check out the feigao motors as well. I got my first one a few weeks ago and i am VERY impressed. Runs cool and has gobs of torque.

Castle Mamba Maxx ESC, with the velineon motor.

Thats what I ran in my Stampede, lots of power and ran cool....it was faster with the CC 5700 motor but I had trouble keeping the temps in a comfortable range. I tried re gearing with the 5700 but when I went down on the gear the motor started turning too many rpm's which made it want to run hot, went up on the gear and it ran hot, the ratio in that tranny just didn't like it.

Thats gona be my new setup for the slash.

thanks guys. hopefully I will be running brushless by the end of the year.

If I get the maxx should I run lipo or will NiMH be good for now until I switch over

Last edited:
If I get the maxx should I run lipo or will NiMH be good for now until I switch over

Get Lipo, you will enjoy it sooooo much more! The only people I have seen complain about the mamba or sidewinder were using nimh packs. If you would rather stick with nimh packs I would suggest a sensored system, they run good with just about any battery but they cost a lot more and can't handle more than 7 cells or 7.4v lipos.

Starting to listen :hehe:;)

Sooner or later hopefully sooner I would like to go brushless in my slash I was thinking of the traxxas system but I have heard a lot of good things about Castle, either the sidewinder or the mamba max. I would like to stay waterproof/resistant are these systems waterproof and what is your opinion on these systems.

Thanks
What battery or batteries do you plan on running ?
Lipo, Nimh,Nicd, or A123 ? When choosing your set up this is very important.
How much voltage do you wanna run ?

Last edited:
No electric motor is waterproof, but the water wont really hurt them either. The things you need waterproof are your servo's and speedie. The receiver can be protected in the reciever box.
Just as a footnote the Velineon is a great budget system, but I love the CC stuff too....
Good luck.

I do plan on running lipo, I really don't know what voltage I would run. What do you recommend

I do plan on running lipo, I really don't know what voltage I would run. What do you recommend

Whatcha wanna spend on batteries, and do you have a Lipo charger already ?

Depending on what system you get, will decide which batteries you should run.

Yeah I bought the DuraTrax Onyx 230 which does lipo's

I would like to stick around $80 I know lipos are expensive but would like to get two. They system I would probably get would be the mm and the traxxas motor.

Last edited:
Better find them used then. They start for decent sizes around $100-150 apiece.

What would you recommend in the $100 range I was looking at a slash build at the rccaraction web site and they put in a Racers Edge 5000mah 7.4 Volt LiPo Battery Pack and those go for about 100 online.

I ran some maxamps packs and loved them! When you sign up you get a 5% discount. The more you spend the bigger your discount gets.

I ran a couple of these http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-4000-74-Pack.htm and they worked great! I also had the same pack but 11.1v, the power was crazy but it's hard to put all of that power to use. IMO the 7.4v packs will be plenty!

Back