Vaterra Twin Hammers - Project Necromancer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More progress!

20220125_211159.jpg

Front part done! I swapped in Hot Racing C-Hubs to help the kingpin retaining grubs, and Hot Racing rockers for the additional adjustments they provide to the suspension geometry.

20220125_212211.jpg

Mounted

20220125_222811.jpg

Cage built, wheels mounted, and the transmission placed. New body is on the way, but I'd like to build a QD system for the cage as well. The 8 screws holding it on are awfully inconvenient when trying to work on the truck. Additionally, I have to fab up a conversion plate for the transmission; I'm thinking of 1/8" aluminum plate with holes drilled in the appropriate roller. Oh, and the bellcrank conversion should be here soon, too. Lastly will be mounting electronics and a battery mount.

Once it is back together as a complete roller, I'll have to decide on electronics and get them ordered. As of now I'm thinking a MambaX paired with a Holmes Puller Pro Stubby V2, and a low profile servo - likely Reefs, NSDRC, or Protek. I already have a receiver on the way.

Aluminum body mounted!
I found one at 0.025" on ebay, and it seems like the perfect thickness. Very light weight, and super easy to deform.

20220131_194824.jpg

I also mounted up a steel skid with a monstrous aluminum chin plate. Hopefully this'll help with any hard front impacts, and add a little extra front weight bias.

20220131_194829.jpg

I also think it makes the Twin Hammers look pretty mean šŸ˜ˆ

Made some progress over the last few days.

20220206_132104.jpg

Built the adapter plate for the 3 gear. Unfortunately it will require different front and rear driveshafts, so those are on order. Additionally the servo horn and center link for the bellcrank adapter have been ordered, and once all of those pieces are in I can complete the front half of the build.

Still kinda debating on electronics. A Mamba X and a Puller Pro Stubby 2700kv seems like the best esc/motor combo, but for a servo I'm still looking around. Maybe a Shift RC RRS? Decent torque and speed for the money, with a full aluminum low profile case.

Despite progress slowing while I wait on shipping, there was a little progress today.

20220213_162206.jpg

I got the Manta bellcrank adapter mounted up, and the crank arms on, but the 55mm rod I ordered was 75mm, so the cracks aren't tied together... I ordered a couple of actual 55mm eye-to-eye links to fill the proper spacing, and they should be here by next weekend.

20220213_162214.jpg

I also installed the Amazon special steel front driveshaft. I ordered a steel for the rear, but the original still fits well, and the plastic rear will help maintain the front weight bias I am looking for.

Speaking of ordering things... I settled on a Copperhead 10, and a 2200kv Holmes Puller Pro Stubby. A little bit cheaper than the Mamba X, since I didn't really value the extra features as high as the extra price for the Mamba X was. I also settled with the 2200kv, since I can run 4S, if need be, for a quick fix on RPM. There is also a Shift RC RRS Low Profile servo on the way, and a receiver for my Noble. The whole thing should be running within a week or two!

One more update before I put the Twin Hammers up on the shelf and swap to the Phoenix that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

20220220_220128.jpg

Shift RRS installed with a Loso 1337 Servo Horn and Traxxas 36mm links (56mm OAL threaded down to 55mm). Those quick observers probably also notes I un-mirrored the transmission, as the battery and ESC didn't fit behind the servo and motor respectively.

20220220_220035.jpg

I kinda-sorta mocked up the positions for the battery and ESC, stacked up. There is a pair of Element shorty battery trays on the way, with a couple of battery straps. Hopefully I should be able to slap together some sort of clamshell to mount the ESC onto and encase the battery.

Once the electronics are sorted, fitting some kind of QD retainer so the cage can swivel open on the front skid, and filling the shocks, should be about all that is left.

I may have to re-address the servo mount, maybe slap some servo tape down in addition to the current screwed down plastic mounts, as they really aren't very rigid, but I would like to drive it a but and see.

You can put this on hold while you start the Phoenix, but we do expect to see pics of the twin hammers when it's finished.

You can put this on hold while you start the Phoenix, but we do expect to see pics of the twin hammers when it's finished.
You will. A local guy has a twin axle trailer I may pick up so the Phoenix can tow the Twin Hammers along the trail, to the climbs.

While waiting for the Phoenix I have backordered to arrive... (AMain has a stupid backorder policy that is NOT 1st come 1st serve)

I have decided to try and resurrect an old and completely roasted Twin Hammers I have happened across!

I have a couple of planned mods I'd like to look into, and hopefully implement:
- Twin rear shocks (1 full, 1 damper)
- SCX10ii Transmission Swap
- Battery low cg relocate
- Bellcrank steering
- Body restoration - possibly aluminum panels, hopefully full light kit.

View attachment 140637

As I dig in, I will be finding new and plentiful issues I'll have to address. I will be compiling a list below, and striking off items as they are taken care of. Here we go...

- New wheels (1.9 beadlocks, 12mm hex)
- New tires (small diameter for most scale look, 4"-4.5" to outer tread)
- New foams (depends on what comes with tires)
- Bearing kit On the way
- 4Ch Flysky receiver
- ESC (Considering Mamba X)
- Motor (Considering Holmes Puller Pro V2 Stubby, KV will depend on transmission selected)
- Servo (Something low profile, possibly Reefs, Protek, Holmes, NSDRC, etc. Not sure if I want a light one yet or not.)
- Screw kits (M2, M2.5, Cap head, Button Head, Counter sunk, etc)
- deal with 1 stuck grub screw The head was FULL of dried loctite. Once carved out it came free no problem.
- investigate knuckle pins, possible grub? Looks like Grubs here and in CVDs are possibly 1.3mm? There are also some tiny screws in the transmission, possibly 1mm? Ended up using a cheapo Torx wedged in for the smallest, but it is too small for the small grubs. 1.3mm and 0.9mm MIPs are on the way. Also switching to aluminum CHubs for better meat on the grub threads.
- Replacement Gaskets for diffs. Managed to save and clean up the original gaskets, and will be holding them aside since I will be running lockers both front and rear.
- Replacement front diff. Resurrected the old front diff, Vaterra official locker on the way.
- Upright shocks?
- Alternative Transmission? Will likely include building driveshaft(s)
I am building my TH right now. I picked it back up after 5 years of collecting dust and I was wondering if you found a front diff locker that is still available, I cannot find one anywhere.

Back