Unofficial Hyper 7 Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
To steal Smitty's thunder, I thought I'd start an OFNA buggy thread of my own, walk through my next project...

Next month I'm rebuilding my son's Hyper 7...which was our first hobby grade rc car (I don't count Exceed). I've decided to turn it into the ultimate bashing buggy. Out of the box....the Hyper 7 is as durable as an RTR can get. However, it's fat and not very agile, so I will take care of that and make it more durable at the same time.

I'm throwing everything at it. First thing is to test out some engines I'm considering for it. I've narrowed it to my O.S. .25 xz (in attached pic), my Novarossi Bonito (brand new), or our Losi 350. I'm thinking about putting the O.S. in it first.

I would love any old skool (or new school) OFNA/Hobao guys' consultation on this. OFNA/Hoboa parts scheme is a PIA to me, as they have mutiple Hyper 7s. Mine is the TQ Sport. Not the TQ Pro or the TQ 2012, etc. Ugh. However, really trying to understand part compatability. Also, who is supporting this now? Is it OFNA, Hobao, or HPI?

As noted, I'm open to any all suggestions. My son and I are going to spend a lot of time analyzing/designing/building the freaking, absolute, wildest Hyper 7 possible.

Attachments

• H71.jpg
    H71.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 498
  • Hy36.jpg
    Hy36.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 461
  • h73.jpg
    h73.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 382
I have an RB Concepts WS7II in my PCR Pro. I only wish I had someplace to race it here. The one and only time I ever raced it when I lived in NY I qualified for the A-main, unfortunately the A main was rained out. It has pretty much been sitting idle ever since, still don't even have a half gallon on it yet. I love my Hyper 7, it is a beast for sure!

Nitrohouse has always been a great source for Ofna parts, you might want to check them out.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/

pcrforum3.jpg

pcrforum2.jpg

I have an RB Concepts WS7II in my PCR Pro. I only wish I had someplace to race it here. The one and only time I ever raced it when I lived in NY I qualified for the A-main, unfortunately the A main was rained out. It has pretty much been sitting idle ever since, still don't even have a half gallon on it yet. I love my Hyper 7, it is a beast for sure!

Nitrohouse has always been a great source for Ofna parts, you might want to check them out.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/

pcrforum3.jpg

pcrforum2.jpg

Those shock towers! I want! Where you get them?

You see you front a arms and the knuckles, is that better then the c hubs on lx2?

I have both c-hub and pivot ball suspension for this buggy. I have never tried the c-hub set up, but I have been very happy with the way it handles with the the pbs set up.

Humm i have a full pivot setup that i may try on my lx2. Thanks for the info.

Yay Hyper 7's! Got one for free, still know nothing about it. Well, I do, but haven't really messed with it other than starting the Force .26 in it. I say you go with the .25. Great all around engine.

Now all I need is a receiver pack...

I'd like to put CF parts on it...but only quality CF parts. Ideally I shave 2 lbs and make it more durable. We'll see. I should be testing the OS engine on it next week for POC.

Its great to see the 1/8 scale buggy forum is resurrected.
I have a couple Thunder Tiger EB4 builds I'm going to post in the forum
soon. Thanks buddies. :thumbup:

I'd like to put CF parts on it...but only quality CF parts. Ideally I shave 2 lbs and make it more durable. We'll see. I should be testing the OS engine on it next week for POC.

2lbs is a tall order but it should be a screamer if you can do it.
How much does your rig weigh now, about 7lbs or less?

Its great to see the 1/8 scale buggy forum is resurrected.
I have a couple Thunder Tiger EB4 builds I'm going to post in the forum
soon. Thanks buddies. :thumbup:

Awesome...I like MTs and Truggies too...but 1/8 nitro buggies is where it's at for me! ;-)

2lbs is a tall order but it should be a screamer if you can do it.
How much does your rig weigh now, about 7lbs or less?

Yeah--it's a lofty goal. We'll see.
Close to 8lbs without the engine. I agree 2lbs is a lot. I'm not hellbent on it, but if I can get it to 6.5 I'll be happy.

I have my Losi 810 under 5.5 lbs WITH the engine. :w00t: I know it's a 'small' 1/8 with a .20, etc. but I really believe I can shave off close to another pound while still making it even stronger. Lunsford rods, carbon top plate, CNC HA steering posts, etc, It's an expensive endeavor, and I've got close to $400 in it now--and it's worth every penny.
:cheers:

I'll compile my short list of parts for the Hyper 7 this weekend after my son and I go through it and discuss the end result....would love you guys' feedback. As noted, Mugen/Losi/HPI/Hot Bodies I can tell you about...but OFNA is still somewhat foreign to me. Their parts are incredibly expensive (and am budgeting $700 for this) so will need to be diligent in how we approach it. Thanks

p.s. Can't wait to see that Thunder Tiger.

Oh my god! I took my Hyper 7 out for it's first run today and boy is it amazing! I've never had this much fun since I put brushless in my Bandit or got my T-MAXX running!

Question: the two speed conversion was installed on mine when I got it. It made the mounting for the exhaust and fuel tank awkward. Am I the only one with this dilemma?

Update: I got new engine/pipe/manifold mounted and it fired up no problem off the box. Only issue is with pressure system in my tank (easy fix)...but this POC panned out well, so am on to the next stages. Still unsure of a pipe -I tested with an OFNA 086 (just a hand me down). Even with that pipe, this OFNA buggy screamed its tits off. Handling up on some must haves then conducting performance tests with it

Last edited:
Update: I got new engine/pipe/manifold mounted and it fired up no problem off the box. Only issue is with pressure system in my tank (easy fix)...but this POC panned out well, so am on to the next stages. Still unsure of a pipe -I tested with an OFNA 086 (just a hand me down). Even with that pipe, this OFNA buggy screamed its tits off. Handling up on some must haves then conducting performance tests with it

You're running the .25xz right?

You're running the .25xz right?

Yep. So far everything fit good - just turns out my tank seal was jacked so ordered a new one.

I'm REALLY trying to determine some good upgrades. Most everything I've seen revolves around durability, which is a bit of a scam because the buggy is durable as hell. So why add weight to it if not needed (don't care about bling).

Wanting it to simply handle better. The suspension sucks so am going to modify most of it. Anything to make it lighter and more agile is a big plus. I know it's a basher - but it's still a buggy. ;-) I am definitely getting a four-shoe clutch, different link setup, and every CF piece I can get. Would also like to forward mount the battery if possible.

Yep. So far everything fit good - just turns out my tank seal was jacked so ordered a new one.

I'm REALLY trying to determine some good upgrades. Most everything I've seen revolves around durability, which is a bit of a scam because the buggy is durable as hell. So why add weight to it if not needed (don't care about bling).

Wanting it to simply handle better. The suspension sucks so am going to modify most of it. Anything to make it lighter and more agile is a big plus. I know it's a basher - but it's still a buggy. ;-) I am definitely getting a four-shoe clutch, different link setup, and every CF piece I can get. Would also like to forward mount the battery if possible.

I don't know about that battery. To me, it seems like it will throw off the balance. Then again, that's keeping the linkage where it is.Really don't know about the pipe. Those are the only things that stump me of nitro.

The three show clutch is working fine for me, I have the 2 speed conversion as well.

I've been down for the past 3 weeks since I broke a front A-Arm. I'm too broke to fix it LOL

Last edited:
I don't know about that battery. To me, it seems like it will throw off the balance.
This is the sort of stuff I want to find out. I prefer forward battery mounts. I have a few Hyper 7 trays, so will probably mod one, and if it does produce results I want, then revert.

Then , that's keeping the linkage where it is.Really don't know about the pipe. Those are the only things that stump me of nitro.
I'll leave the linkage where is. I'll build a new link setup, but mod the tray around it. Regarding pipe, unsure what you are referencing. I'm starting with a Dynamite 086 on it. Not a big fan of it, but trying longer manifold to see if that helps.

The three show clutch is working fine for me, I have the 2 speed conversion as well.
The clutch on it is not bad for a RTR. The problem is no tuning options. I'm going to do this iteratively, in that rebuilding in one full swoon can be difficult to troubleshoot problematic areas. Fortunately I have a few clutch setups that (I think) will work on this vehicle, so will try out different setups. I do run composite on a few vehicles. I find alum gives me more clamp, but composite much less maintenance. Then again, it's all about just finding what works right with the specific engine/pipe/surface/tires. With this being a basher, need to find an good all-around setup.

Regarding the 2-speed, do you like it? I want to keep the stock spur for initial torque and assume this removes the center diff (major tuning part for off-road, IMO). It will be strictly an off-road vehicle. The only reason I keep the two-speed on my Savage is like the slipper clutch (wheelies. ;-) Don't know a whole lot about transmissions, am learning a lot with my Savage.

I've been down for the past 3 weeks since I broke a front A-Arm. I'm too broke to fix it LOL
Dude, I just bought a set of new a-arms for less than $5.00 off ebay. Want me to send you the link? I bought a couple of them - even though the stock are still holding strong. ;-)

Last edited:
I was able to get a good run with the O.S. .25xz this weekend using a new tank. My son and I watched in utter disbelief at how monstrous this engine is on this buggy. We've been around some very impressive nitro vehicles, so for us to stop down like this and think 'oh my' is not flippant. Especially when we've really not done anything to it yet from a performance stand-point other than new engine/pipe.

Understand this is our oldest vehicle and has not been torn down in a long while - but it's been through more than any of our vehicles since it's last rebuild. This is saying a lot as we don't believe in shelf queens, street racers, etc. for our off-road vehicles. We tend to get pretty aggressive with them as we like coming up with durability solutions if something breaks.

I took the front clip apart 100% and the damage is extremely minimal. I was expecting to pry out hinge pins, see cracks all through the carrier, etc. Only one hinge pin slightly bent, the kick-up on the chassis is has a little wear, and a few other very minor things (stand-off screw, blown bearing, etc). As I go through this, I am taken aback at the durability of this vehicle. My son's wanting to race it...as in this weekend. Ha ha. The ONLY downside from a racing perspective is it does not possess a lot of the tuning options you get today....but that is very subtle.

My point is that if you are considering a mid-market nitro buggy...one that does not require durability upgrades (instead only performance upgrades)...this is pretty much perfect. Hobao makes some strong-ass parts. Wow.

In the next few weeks I'll have some pics/stats of what we ended up doing with ours...this is exciting. ;-) I want to hear from you old school guys who drove/drive a Hyper 7 Series.

Does anyone disagree that it's the most popular 1/8 nitro buggy world-wide, of all-time? And you can define popular however you want. I have no stats on qty/dollar amount sold, but cannot think of any other 1/8 Nitro Buggy with a reputation like this. The Losi 8ight series is a close second Ha!

Last edited:
I have a LRP ZR32 spec 2 on the way for my Hyper 7 TQ2 should be here this Wednesday. A fellow member on the UK forum is running the same setup & claims he's reaching speeds of upto 55MPH/88KPH

I'm pairing it up with a Jammin JP-3 pipe, 16t vented clutch bell & aluminium red Hong nor shoes.

Last edited:
Back