Unofficial Hyper 7 Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome. I'm unsure what your plans are for this buggy...but I want to ensure you realize alum shoes (of which I am a huge fan) will not affect your top end at all. Said differently, if your buggy goes 55mph with nylon shoes...it will go 55mph with alum shoes. A few other quick things:

--Keep and eye on them...they wear probably 70% faster than nylon.
--I like to seat my alum shoes to the clutchbell when putting on a new set. It's similar to seating a new diff. Can't say I've noticed tangible difference in doing it vs not - but just an old habit. ;-)
--I would not recommend using nylon in that new bell after running alum, as there will be a residue that is hard to get off (i.e. not worth the trouble) and you'll have serious slippage with nylon. I have alum bells and nylon bells.

Would love to see pics of yours. I'm 95% complete with my rebuild. The REAL fun begins with setup testing. I think I can get more throw if I turn the servo save out of parallel to the servo. Take off your links...move the ackerman side to side and tell me what you see. Not good, eh?

When complete (this weekend) going to put it in my sons hands at the track and see what potential it has...then I'll destroy him with my 810. ;-)

Last edited:
Really wish I hadn't read this post...makes me want my old H7 PBS back....that was an awesome buggy. Buddy of mine has it but he won't get rid of it for nothing...lol

-NB

This buggy reminds me a lot of Werks engines. 99.99999999% of the people that have own one are 'raving fans' of the product.

Everything you hear about this buggy is true.

So I got the engine in today, here is a picture of a 'dry' fit, still need to do some cutting to the engine plate to make it fit.

Seriously looks like it will tear apart the hyper 7.

2qi8e9d.jpg

Pic not showing up. :-( Have you checked your diffs? Mine were bone dry.

Done the mods to the engine plate to make it fit, all gears & shoes are on. Fully ready for a break in tomorrow

I uploaded again with imageshack maybe you can see this time:

f7uz.jpg

With clothes on:

otsx.jpg

here it is:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I dont have a hyper 7 but I do have an Ofna 9.5 I am rebuilding. I am looking for a cab forward style body for it but I can't find anything even close to the dimensions of the 9.5. Any help would be so awesome. Great looking Hyper 7's by the way.

Yeah, good job it looks beastly. Have you taken it off-road yet? That's when the fun begins with this buggy!

Here is where I'm at with mine. About 70% complete. I'm going to begin testing setups then determine what performance upgrades I want to make (servos, clutches, CF parts, etc).

Right now I've put a few upgrades on it (CNC knuckles, pro shock stand-offs, CNC spacer, tapered shock pistons, and a few other minor things.

AFTER:
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Thats looks awesome dude!

Ok, so finally did a speed run. It is still slightly rich, and running completely off road nanda block tyres.

Will get it a 2 speed, bigger bell & on road tyres.

Using the distance travelled ( we measured from point A to B vs time took we calculated that it did 56MPH

Heres a video: I have much more footage I will compile later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. It's a work in progress. Pretty cool taking a mid-market RTR and optimizing it, eh? This buggy is actually my 13 year-old son's (he's the racer but wanted a bad-ass bashing buggy).

He got jealous because I turned my Losi 810 into a demon, so I told him I'd go off on his Hyper 7. Still don't know what I don't know, but next up I begin its shake-down runs (drive it off-road...HARD) just to ensure I did not screw anything up. Then will focus on how it performs.

Haven't really performed any 'speed runs' with mine, but tested out the engine prior to rebuilding it and it screamed like banshee...but doubt it hit 56mph. You got some nads driving on the sidewalk like that. Did it once in my 810 (that thing can hit 56 mph) and it crashed mid-air into a brick mailbox.

Not sure what your goals are with your Hyper 7, but it you want to turn it into a speed demon, lighten it up. You'd be shocked at how much faster it will go if you shave off 4-6 ounces (which can easily be done with this buggy). Looking at the pics of yours, I can see quite a few things you can do (remove the transponder mount, droop screws, etc.). Additionally, you might want to think of an alum steering horn. You can get some as light if not lighter than that stock plastic servo arm. Mine stripped out its first gallon.

The trick is keeping it as strong if not stronger...but again depending on what plan to do with it. My son's will be a basher that can show up at the track and compete...so it will need to remain uber-durable. ;-)

Last edited:
Well with the hyper 7 as you can see I'm obviously planning to make it as fast as possible. This speed run was on Nanda Block off road tyre's, there no way optimised for the road. Hopefully gonna stick a 2 speed in there & upgrade to a 17T bell. I'm hoping to hit around 70MPH. & also use it for bashing. I have a lot of cnc upgrades to do.

Is your son using the hyper 7 to race? What does you think about losi 3.0 looks pretty awesome for racing.

I have a lot of cnc upgrades to do.
What are you wanting to achieve with the CNC parts? i.e. WHY are you looking to put them on?

Is your son using the hyper 7 to race? What does you think about losi 3.0 looks pretty awesome for racing.
Originally, we talked about getting a new 'basher'. Then thought, 'let's just go off on the Hyper 7'. Now that we have our pulse on it's true potential (that O.S. 25XZ is no joke--it's a top of the line race engine) he wants to race it....now. Ha ha. So yes, it will be a basher that he can race whenever he wants. Big difference between the two, with the latter requiring lot of attention to handling and durability.

Regarding the Losi 3.0, hell yeah it's awesome for racing. We have a 2.0 (that I will put up against any 3.0) but when it comes to 1/8 nitro racing...you can't go wrong with TLR.

Is your Hyper 7, new...or rebuilt, or....? What setup are you running on it? What are those shock springs? They look soft as hell. Just a tip if you are looking for on-road speed....stiffen up that buggy sideways to Sunday. Here's hoping you hit 70 mph! I wonder if you'll be the first to do it with a Hyper 7?

Last edited:
I was first more interested towards it being a tank like basher. But if I am going for speed now I'll obviously want it light as a feather. What upgrades do you recommend to make it lighter?

I recently got into the hobby about 3-4 weeks ago, after the first week i was already tired of the .21 so decided it was time for a upgrade & more speed was what I was looking for.

The buggy I bought brand new & upgraded along the way during this month. Performance wise the only things that have been upgraded are obviously the engine, it has been coupled with the Jammin-JP3 which is seriously a awesome pipe, also got some nanda block off road tires. Apart from that everything else is mostly stock.

My goal atm is to hit 70MPH. I think I should defo get there with some road tyres,stiffen suspension, 2 speed, & get a 17T OR MAYBE a 18T bell. I currently have a 16T.

& make it lighter!

I was first more interested towards it being a tank like basher. But if I am going for speed now I'll obviously want it light as a feather. What upgrades do you recommend to make it lighter?

I recently got into the hobby about 3-4 weeks ago, after the first week i was already tired of the .21 so decided it was time for a upgrade & more speed was what I was looking for.

The buggy I bought brand new & upgraded along the way during this month. Performance wise the only things that have been upgraded are obviously the engine, it has been coupled with the Jammin-JP3 which is seriously a awesome pipe, also got some nanda block off road tires. Apart from that everything else is mostly stock.

My goal atm is to hit 70MPH. I think I should defo get there with some road tyres,stiffen suspension, 2 speed, & get a 17T OR MAYBE a 18T bell. I currently have a 16T.

& make it lighter!

I was first more interested towards it being a tank like basher
Okay...I'll tell you this. You will be hard-pressed to find anyone more fanatical about durability than I am with respect to these vehicles. RC cars should not break. If they break...you need to either diagnose/solve, or no longer run it in fashion you are. Performance is very important to me and I hate alum parts (blah, blah)...but if it came down to it I'd run an RC vehicle made out of cement if that's what it took to prevent it from breaking. I'm serious - it's a war of attrition, so durability is the baseline from which I start.

With that, the Hobao Hyper 7 (and I'm calling it that now since its parts are ALL Hobao) is as durable as any 600-700 kits. I can make this claim as I own both ends of the spectrum. So you don't need to make your Hyper 7 into a 'tank like basher' as it is already that...and for a lot of RC enthusiasts that is gold!

If you REALLY want your Hyper 7 to hawl ass, then you need to shed serious pounds. Look at it this way: my Losi 810, which runs a stock .20 engine and is as durable as our Hyper 7, destroys....and I mean DESTROYS the Hyper 7 when it comes to speed. So how can this happen especially when the Hyper 7 is rocking a top of the line race engine? My beloved 810 is over two pounds lighter (yeah man - that is two POUNDS). This is not saying the Hyper 7 is a slug (my 810 whips most every nitro vehicle when it comes to speed and quickness)...and this shows you what shedding the pounds can do for a vehicle. The crazy thing - I did not even build my 810 for speed runs. I built it for durability but figured along the way that I can make it stronger AND lighter.

No need to make your Hyper 7 stronger...especially if you aren't into extreme bashing or off-road racing. As is, it's as durable as most other vehicles claiming to be bashers (and even some racers - where durability is key). Example: the HPI Savage X 4.6 (which I actually like much better than the Hyper 7) is probably not even in the same hemisphere when it comes to durability compared to the Hobao Hyper 7.

CF parts are the way to go..as well as titanium hardware, etc. With that engine...if you drop 1.5-2.0 lbs with it...you'll hit 70mph without blinking an eye. Of course, you'll need to think of diff setups, make the buggy stiff, etc. etc.

The way I see it - there's a slew of guys who make their Savages fast. I once asked one of the record holders why he turned it into a speed demon and he said "because they aren't meant to go fast". I'm down with that. I'd LOVE to see you set the record for faster Hyper 7. They were not designed for speed runs, so you have your work cut out - but that's the beauty of this hobby.

I just want ours to be a bad-ass off-road machine. ;-)

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with PCR parts?

Does anyone know an alternative to the eclip system with these shocks?

Okay, I have both the above solved now. C'mon Hyper 7 guys....I KNOW there's a bunch of you out there! Especially you old skool guys, let's here ya. I'm basically trying to make the baddest Hyper 7 that ever existed and I'm now committed. Tomorrow I will receive something of which I am confident no one else in the world is obtaining . Heh-heh. And it's for real. I'l throw my setup out there, but want you Hyper series guys to chime in....I am constantly wanting to learn, so tell me your thoughts as I love hearing about its history. At very minimum, I truly believe this can become as any good race ki out there (I know some Kyosho guys having a stroke right now). ;-)

Last edited:
Back