Trouble with radio signal

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbullis1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys I'm new here but I own a redcat racing volcano S530 nitro truck. Its been great minus a few bad crashes and broken drive shafts. I've owned it for about 2 years now and it was sitting for a months until 2 days ago when I decided its time to play again. I went through all the checks on parts and then started it up and started my servo tests and radio signal tests and all that good stuff. When I started doing a field test I was just running a figure 8 at idle speed and it simply lost signal and kept driving straight until it ended in a ditch. Everything on the remote is working fine but now I've noticed that when i flip the switch for the servos to the "ON" position i dont hear the familiar HUM of the car turning on. Nothing happens at all, I have no throttle response or servo response.

I did find upon farther inspection that the solder for the positive wire from the batteries to the switch had come loose. I fixed that but I still get nothing when the car is on. I made sure both the controller and car have a fresh set of batteries. I dont know if this helps but the engine will start and run still, but only at idle and I still have no radio control at all. I am leaning toward a bad receiver but I dont have a spare to test it. Any other opinions? Thanks guys!

You're right, it does sound like a bad RX. Your best bet is to try to order a stock RX from the manufacturer and try that.

You're right, it does sound like a bad RX. Your best bet is to try to order a stock RX from the manufacturer and try that.

Is it normal for those to just go bad randomly or could I have a deeper issue?

It could be anything from damage caused by a crash to age causing the capactior to lose their electrolyte fluid.

Well this problem sounds like it's going to be a pain to diagnose! I guess I'll start with a new RX and see what happens