Radio Frequency Control

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLSteve

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am just getting back into the RC plane hobby after a 25-year break and as one could expect things have really changed. I was all about OS Max glow engines; Futaba radios and balsa build kits back then, so am now learning about the electric world of things. One “get up to speed” question I have deals with radio frequencies. Back 25 years ago when I was active, we had radio frequency control by having a board of clothes pins with the frequency # on them (44, 46, 48 etc.) at the flying field. When you flew, you took the pin with your number and clipped it to the antenna. If the pin was not on the board, you waited until it was put back. We had AM and FM radios.

Is this still the way it is done … or have radios advanced to the point where you do not have to worry about who else is flying. I just ordered an Apprentice STS 1.5m RTF Basic Smart Trainer with SAFE that includes a Spektrum DXS DSMX® 2.4GH radio for my re-entrance plane to the sport … but never saw where the radio frequency was indicated??

Welcome to the site. 2.4 gigs have no crystals or channels. They bind to one another and don't interfere with each other.

No more close pins and guys turning radios on in pits and you plane going nuts. its all 2.4 ghz they dont cross into others freq they find a open freq and go with that,
I'm not a Spektrum fan I think all there products are JUNK. had to many issues with them when they went from jr to Spektrum pick another Brand
The range we get know is much further than AM/FM .only thing is power line interference

Frequency boards still exist in my area, though most members have long switched to 2.4Ghz systems which hop between a band of frequencies. If you have a 2.4Ghz system then the club in my area doesn't require you to pull a pin. Check with your club rules before you enter the pits!

Welcome back!

FWIW... I ditched my .40 planes after my kids were born in 2000 and have helped train new pilots on rare occasion to get them soloed but I primarily race 1/8 off-road cars these days.

Folks, thanks for the quick responses. It's beginning to make a little more sense to me now. Guess I need to visit the local club in this area which appears to be the Cape Coral R/Sea Hawks. That will probably fill in alot of pieces for me.

Back