Traxxas summit review and opinions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK i got the summit from the lotto and i felt since its a newer rig i should post up my opinions and findings on the rig. (this is ONLY my opinion.)

first i will start with general looks. the truck looks bad A. the body is unlike anything ever i have seen, the tires are aggressive, the stance is aggressive, the lights make for a nice touch, and it just LOOKS all around mean!

under the body, it seems a bit cramped, but well laid out. all the major components are right where they should be, with all the extra stuff squeezed in around them. i like the battery holders down on the side, and the layout although complicated, looks nice. i don't really like the way the diff locking system is laid out. there are long linkages that go the length of the chassis for the diffs. they are run underneath the other stuff so they are out of the way and safe from damage, but if they do get damaged, your in for a few hours replacing them. the diffs and the trans are controlled by 3 of the micro servos, with no room for full sized units if need be.

general driving, is just that. general. the first gear is pretty low and gives the rig some grunt, but the wheel speed just isn't there. you can't even get the front end off the ground because you hit top rpm to fast. i climbed around on a couple of piles of dirt in the neighbors driveway, and i could tell the low gear helped. i drove over the same rocks i crawl on with the ax10 and it didn't have much trouble with them, but it is 3 times bigger then the ax10. it still got hung up and high centered on a spot or two. the high gear is decent, but to high for nice wheelies (if you like that) and even in "high" the rig was un-impressively slow. my e-savage and the boys pede would walk off and leave it with no problems. This was all done on 12 cells. The rig will handle more and in the near future i plan on buying 2 7 cell packs. hopefully this will wake up the beast.

the diffs, have three settings: all unlocked, front locked, and all locked. i did most of the driving in all unlocked like a "4w high" setup. i only used the locks when needed like for the dirt piles, or the rocks, or climbing over brush and curbs. even in unlocked setup it would drive over normal street curbs without even a tire spinning. although the locking is cool, its not best utilized in this rig. i would say novelty at best.

suspension, is wicked. its very plush and soaks up everything i threw at it, curbs, bumps, rocks, i even blasted over some 4x4 posts at speed. it has the LT rockers on the revo style on-board shocks. the shocks come stock hard coated and TI shafts. although i would have liked to see some shock covers on a rig designed to "go anywhere" (including water) like this one. I wasn't overly hard on the rig but i wasn't easy on it either and i didn't break anything yet. i traction rolled it once, but i was pushing it to see the limits. it normally just leans with it.

the tires, are very soft for an MT but don't balloon to bad (partly because it never got a lot of speed up). they have very good traction on everything I've driven on and seem to hold up well. they are very soft though and have almost a stickiness to them when clean. the wheels are not bead-locks, but just pretty rings that screw onto the wheel for looks.

waterproof?? YES IT IS! i made sure to test that claim thoroughly by driving it strait into waist deep standing water. I had planned on driving right across, but the big tires on this thing made it float. the lugs on the tires weren't enough to get it moving very fast in the water so i retreated back to semi dry land. i then blasted through puddles, and a "stream" that was forming from the water flowing out from behind my house. the only issue i saw was the LED's cut out a few times.

the radio, is a typical traxxas unit, modified with a 3 way switch up by the steering wheel (wtf) to shift the diffs to there 3 settings.

in short, the truck does a lot of things but none of them exceptionally well. for a general basher, your gonna need more power. For what i wanted the rig for, its perfect. I wanted a rig that could go almost anywhere. near crawling capabilities when needed, but decent speed when needed as well. When i build my boat trailer this will be my tow rig so the locking diffs will help with that as well.

Sounds to me like it just needs more power and gearing to get the kind kind of speed most folks find entertaining. I still want one, even at 20 mph that's good enough for my backyard.

7 cell packs and some experimenting with larger pinions might be just what the doctor ordered. Kershaw designs makes some wicked 900 can size conversions, though I don't think there is a kit for the Summit, yet. And with a brand new rig, I could see why somebody wouldn't want to spend money on a new mount and engine right off the bat. Nice review, beason.

the twin 900 can mod is equal to and maybe better than the power of the velinion brushless system. but your battery wouldn't last very long on it

I want a nitro version :D

My lhs says you don't want to run it much on the street due to excessively fast tire wear.

Thanks for the review :thumbup:

WooHoo! Count me in too!

Wife got me a Summit as an anniversary gift. Mine is Yellow. I liked the blue best, but the yellow is growing on me. It's better than the non-matching white (with red wheels) and I actually kind of like it better than the all red too now that I'm looking at it. Anyways.. I'm looking at getting a pair of these Trinity 5000 packs (7-cell)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/34885

..and yes, the tires are very soft.. especially the sidewalls. I definitely wouldn't run it too much on paved surface.

Lucky bastids!! Congrats on the new rigs.

wooot!!! congrats lessen. let me know how it goes with the 7 cells.

pics man!! we need proof!

Couple shots

I can't wait to run this thing. I'm gonna make some rounds to my LHS's and see if I can find anything decent for power. If not, I'll just order those Trinity packs. I definitly want 7-cell and I REALLY don't want anything less than 4600. I would certainly prefer 5000 packs.

20090503_1670.jpg

20090503_1671.jpg

man that yellow looks nice!! you def wont loose sight of it!!

my lhs had some 7 cells but they were 3k. i want at least 4600 as well. those 5k ones look NICE!!

cmon man!! action shots!! drive it in the pool!

Man I gotta get me onena them! Thanks for the review, beason. I too think it perfect for what I want it to do. I don't live in an area where a true crawler makes a lot of sense (but still want one for the cool factor) but I would like to be able to bash around in some rock piles. Summit will do that, and I don't have to drive it at 5 MPH to the next pile!!!

Sucks. All my LHS's have is junk Venom stuff. Relatively cheap at $90 for 2 7-cell packs but I don't trust them for longevity.

I'm going to order the Trinity Intellect 5000 packs on Friday so I should probably have them middle of next week. I'll try to put together a short video of 14 cells next weekend if I can manage.

Congrats again on your win.....I have been eye ballin one of these

I wonder if you could take then beadlock things off, i think it would look better a little bit.

you can, they are just for looks, and not functional. but you would have a bunch of screw holes in the wheels.