Traxxas 4-TEC 3.0 Stingray pinion gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTuna

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I could use your help please. I'm going to install the 3s Traxxas Power upgrade in my 3.0 Stingray. What pinion gear or pinion/spur gear combination have you found to be best to use for this set up? Looking for more speed without over heating. I won't be doing any speed runs. Thanks for any input you have.

it wont matter what pinion gear you install you will still have a overheating issue limit run times to less than a few minutes.id run a 19t.its funny that peeps think they are going to run 3 cells with a normally 2 cell run motor..you can go higher but run times will be way less. id just do aways and back.wont be running a pack down to lvc state..

I could use your help please. I'm going to install the 3s Traxxas Power upgrade in my 3.0 Stingray. What pinion gear or pinion/spur gear combination have you found to be best to use for this set up? Looking for more speed without over heating. I won't be doing any speed runs. Thanks for any input you have.
Traxxas usually has a chart for each vehicle showing the correct spur and pinion combo. From their site, they recommend the 26T pinion: https://traxxas.com/news/4tec-power-up

If you haven’t bought the VXL yet I would recommend taking a different route. Both HobbyWing and Castle make much better alternatives that won’t fry the motor on 3s. 3500kv is just too high for 3s, especially with the 4 pole Velineon non-finned motors. If you already have the VXL you’d better install a good double fan heat sink on the motor and pay close attention to the motor temps with a temp gun.

If you haven’t bought the VXL yet I would recommend taking a different route. Both HobbyWing and Castle make much better alternatives that won’t fry the motor on 3s. 3500kv is just too high for 3s, especially with the 4 pole Velineon non-finned motors. If you already have the VXL you’d better install a good double fan heat sink on the motor and pay close attention to the motor temps with a temp gun.
Roger that. Thanks for the tip and response.

OK, i have to ask. How is 3500KV too high on 3S? I run 3300KV and 3500KV 3650's on 3S quite often with no issues. My Losi 22S only gets ran on 3S, and that still has the same stock Dynamite Fuze 3300KV 3650 and 60A Dynamite Fuze ESC it has had in it since i bought it new 2 years ago.

It’s not 3500kv specifically that’s the problem. It’s the VXL 3500 in particular. It runs hot on 2s, and you really need to watch the temps on 3s. I’ve fried two of them on 4wd Traxxas rigs. I moved to the Reedy 3300 motors (cause the breakers sell these for cheap) and I could then gear up and they run cool as a cucumber on 3s. Velineon motors are known for running really hot.

It’s not 3500kv specifically that’s the problem. It’s the VXL 3500 in particular. It runs hot on 2s, and you really need to watch the temps on 3s. I’ve fried two of them on 4wd Traxxas rigs. I moved to the Reedy 3300 motors (cause the breakers sell these for cheap) and I could then gear up and they run cool as a cucumber on 3s. Velineon motors are known for running really hot.

Hey Dan B.....if you don't mind, can you give me the model # or part # of the 3300 Reedy motors you are using. Thanks DB.

It’s the 540-SL4 3300kv. Breakers remove these from new Team Associated RTR’s. They are actually pretty cheap new anyway, about 40-50 bucks. I’ve found them to be super reliable, cool running, and more torque than the VXL’s. Reedy makes great motors for the same price or less than a lot of offshore budget motors.

It’s the 540-SL4 3300kv. Breakers remove these from new Team Associated RTR’s. They are actually pretty cheap new anyway, about 40-50 bucks. I’ve found them to be super reliable, cool running, and more torque than the VXL’s. Reedy makes great motors for the same price or less than a lot of offshore budget motors.
Thanks Dan.

Hey @CharlieTuna I've got a vxl3s in my slash 2wd i run 23t pinion 86t spur witch is decent but you could go faster but it would heat up more I'm thinkin of getting something to see the fastest i can go on nihm so ima try 32t pinion and 76t spur go check out my other post about how to gear your car here

Hey @CharlieTuna I've got a vxl3s in my slash 2wd i run 23t pinion 86t spur witch is decent but you could go faster but it would heat up more I'm thinkin of getting something to see the fastest i can go on nihm so ima try 32t pinion and 76t spur go check out my other post about how to gear your car here
Thanks for the response. I'll do some testing and find the right combo.

Back