Tower Hobbies Tower Power 420 Instructions?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabatuckian

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has a link to the manual for the above charger. I can't seem to find one on Google.

Thanks!

Are you looking for replacement parts, or operating instructions?

Those old chargers with the mechanical timers are pretty much fixed output with no peak detection, you just set a time that matches the output with the battery capacity and always start with a discharged battery.

Example, 15 minutes @ 4 amps = 1000maH

Last edited:
I still use a tekin charger with many options delta peak amperage cell # so on and a few more sent it to a blok in England that built a lipo board for it that will balance charge at whatever current I set it at. I added face switch .sure it cost me 50$ usd but . that old bc 112 charger is still used today. well yesterday

Are you looking for replacement parts, or operating instructions?

Those old chargers with the mechanical timers are pretty much fixed output with no peak detection, you just set a time that matches the output with the battery capacity and always start with a discharged battery.

Example, 15 minutes @ 4 amps = 1000maH

I appreciate it. I know nothing about it. For example, it apparently trickle charges when the timer hits zero.

I bought another battery pack, and it's NimH. I was unsure the rate this charges at, and didn't want to fry the new battery since these are (were?) more touchy than the NiCad are.

Can NimH be rapid charged? I tried and the battery started getting pretty warm.

Also, the gator clips aren't charged, and I'd like to know why that is. I could tear into it, but don't really want to.

Was also hoping to find the peak wattage. It seems to charge at 5a when voltage is 8.2v, so I'm guessing approx 40w.

It looks to trickle at around 0.4a or 0.5a, so I should be ok charging the NimH battery like that, at least until the regular slow charger I bought gets here.

The gator clips are most likely for a DC input, like a car battery... so you can use it "in the field".

I got rid of my charger like that ages ago, but I do still have my old Duratrax ICE charger, and it is DC only, so it came with a set of wires with gator clips and another set with bullet connectors.

gator clips are not always for a DC in sometimes the run other stuff.like a dyno
its best to condition every set of Ni batteries no matter if its nicad or nimh. min,charge rate.like 1/10 amp. only thing that will be different is Delta peak.best to charge at less than 1 amp to help keep ni batteries lasting longer
its best to put a vom meter on those A clips

Last edited:
The gator clips are most likely for a DC input, like a car battery... so you can use it "in the field".

I got rid of my charger like that ages ago, but I do still have my old Duratrax ICE charger, and it is DC only, so it came with a set of wires with gator clips and another set with bullet connectors.

That's cool. I guess I never knew about the DC input.

gator clips are not always for a DC in sometimes the run other stuff.like a dyno
its best to condition every set of Ni batteries no matter if its nicad or nimh. min,charge rate.like 1/10 amp. only thing that will be different is Delta peak.best to charge at less than 1 amp to help keep ni batteries lasting longer
its best to put a vom meter on those A clips

I already had a multimeter on the gator clips. That's how I knew they had no output. If I get time tomorrow, I'll ohm them out and see if there's even a circuit there.

That's good to know about the charging amperage. I thought NiCad was capable of being charged faster, but it's been 30 years+ since I messed with any of this stuff. If I recall, my most advanced charging setup back then was my Typhoon hovercraft's charger plugged into one of those wall lamp timers 😆

I don't even remember what ran the servos on the EZ Bee plane we got Dad for his birthday. I crashed that thing so many times and don't think Dad ever did get to fly it...

Last edited:
Every reference I came across for the model 420 said it was AC/DC, including an old ad from Tower...

That's very helpful. I might just try hooking the clips to a car battery tomorrow.