Top Speed gearing w/Pro4 HD 3000kv

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macovial

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Slash 4x4 with Robinson Racing 54t spur and the Tekin Pro4HD 3000kv and Mamba Monster X on 3C w/ 5400mah 50C battery. It's been a while since I've driven the slash and am starting to work on it again.

What would be the best gearing ratio for high-end speeds around 50 - 60mph or higher? Almost everything has been upgraded on the Slash except for the tires but just ordered some recently with S1 glue so am confident it can hold itself together for a bit.

Can I go as high as 19 - 21 pinon without heating issues?

Also can it go up to 4S without any issues? Factory says it can only go up to 3S but am seeing talk in the form about it being possible? Would it be worth it?

You can try it on 4S but you're gonna need to temp your motor and ESC constantly and let them cool off when they get to hot. Doing speed runs its going to get hot on 3S so on 4S its gonna get hot faster.

As for gearing That is something you're going to have to play around with and find out what works best. No one is going to be able to tell you exactly, its part of tuning a rig

Last edited:
I would not go to 4 cells..3000kv on 3 cell id go 19t you can go up if needed.60mph should be a easy run but you wont be able to run entire pack to lvc its a down and back then lets electronics cool off

If it says 3s then that's all it's rated for, run 4s at your own risk of frying the motor. As others have mentioned, nobody can tell you exact gearing as we don't know what surface you're running on, your local weather, etc. You'll just have to take a temp gun and monitor temps and adjust as needed. A word of caution, the giant body on short course trucks traps a lot of air, and are not great for high speed, they blow over really easily.

I agree with all of the above. 4s will probably fry your motor. The castle MMX would handle it but not the motor. The gearing is definitely something you will need to play with. I would buy a few different sizes. Go two teeth up and two teeth down on each pinon and spur.. and keep a close eye on the temps of esc and motor..Also got to think about aerodynamics. The slash wasn't made for speed runs its a SCT... Might want to think about a different body. Or can cut out back window to allow the forced air to escape. And not turn the body into a parachute. Keep in mind with speed runs comes lots of broken parts in the event of a crash... alot more things to think about the. Just gearing it up. Let's us know how fast you get it going...

I didn't get notifications for replies. I'll check into that.. Anyway, thanks all for your replies. I also have a Stampede 4x4vxl and upgraded all the parts including a 17t pinion with a 54t Robinson and Proline Trenchers. Put the Pro4HD 3000kv into that and I decided to stick to the 3s battery and did modifications on Mamba X firmware so it'll stop if the motor hits 180 degrees. It stopped a couple of times after hard runs but that's without a fan/heatsink which I just realized I overlooked during the rebuild. Not sure how much cooler it will run with the fan/heatsink but going to order 16t pinion anyway. It is a monster and a whole hell lot of fun!

I didn't get notifications for replies. I'll check into that.. Anyway, thanks all for your replies. I also have a Stampede 4x4vxl and upgraded all the parts including a 17t pinion with a 54t Robinson and Proline Trenchers. Put the Pro4HD 3000kv into that and I decided to stick to the 3s battery and did modifications on Mamba X firmware so it'll stop if the motor hits 180 degrees. It stopped a couple of times after hard runs but that's without a fan/heatsink which I just realized I overlooked during the rebuild. Not sure how much cooler it will run with the fan/heatsink but going to order 16t pinion anyway. It is a monster and a whole hell lot of fun!
Oh you definitely need a heatsink and fan. Itbwill help out alot. Especially in the warmer months..You could also help it stay cool by cutting the windows out and installing windows nets. For better air flow..but definitely want/need fans and a heatsink 👍👍

Oh you definitely need a heatsink and fan. Itbwill help out alot. Especially in the warmer months..You could also help it stay cool by cutting the windows out and installing windows nets. For better air flow..but definitely want/need fans and a heatsink 👍👍
Will do just that. Thanks!

Back