tmaxx wont start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the thing to do is to shut off the HSN and remove the glow plug and just let the EZ start to spin for 10s or so and make sure all the fuel is gone or close to it. Still with the HSN shut, put the glow plug back and try to see if the engine will start, it should at least try to start and then set the HSN to factory or my usual 2.5 turn out and try to start again. If engine does not start, You may need to prime it just enough to see fuel get to the carburetor. These steps will help you to un-flood your engine.

Where's the spring for your clutch? Also get rid of the Ez start crap.. your better off with a pull start. I got rid of the ez start. Amd haven't had a y problems since. Plus your way to rich. Your HSN should start at 3.5 to 4 turns from completely closed. Then work your way back in 1/8 turns till you got the tune right.

I, myself have no issue with EZ-start, only if you know how to clear a flood when it happens. I do like pull start as well. You get a better feel of things.

get rid of the Ez start crap.. your better off with a pull start. I got rid of the ez start.
Agreed, never had anything but problems out of them for the most part. Eventually I just got to the point where I removed em from everything as soon as I got em.

Agreed, never had anything but problems out of them for the most part. Eventually I just got to the point where I removed em from everything as soon as I got em.
100% agreed!! welcome back sir glad to see ya... to much crap involved with the ez-start. Pull start is the way to go with nitro or gas hands down
I, myself have no issue with EZ-start, only if you know how to clear a flood when it happens. I do like pull start as well. You get a better feel of things.
The ez start causes to many problems. And to much involved . Another bad idea from traxxas just like the auto flip... and I like traxxas rc. Just not their electronics or ez start system..

If you want something other than a pull start, rotostart is the solution.
Works flawlessly every time.

The difference between using a roto start and EZ-start is with roto start you use your own glow starter that will let you burn off some fuel sitting in the glow plug and heat it up before you start. With EZ-start, it will start turning and start the glow starter at the same time, so if you had flooded your engine, it will be very hard to start. So, a lot of people will use his/her own glow starter with EZ-start. A simple solution for Traxxas is to design their EZ-start with a 1 or 2 second delay start but start the glow starter first.

The difference between using a roto start and EZ-start is with roto start you use your own glow starter that will let you burn off some fuel sitting in the glow plug and heat it up before you start. With EZ-start, it will start turning and start the glow starter at the same time, so if you had flooded your engine, it will be very hard to start. So, a lot of people will use his/her own glow starter with EZ-start. A simple solution for Traxxas is to design their EZ-start with a 1 or 2 second delay start but start the glow starter first.

I will disagree with you on this.
Roto start will never have a hard time turning the engine over, even when its flooded, never failed me, never smoked.
Either the motor is stronger, or its geared differently than EZ, because it just keeps cranking.

I have tried EZ with a separate glow driver and it still just struggles, made me think it was my batteries for a while.
And every single one of them starts smoking if you hold it not even that long after it starts having a hard time turning the engine over.
I found it to be such a POS, you would think that Traxxas would think of a way to improve it somehow by now.

Are your bearings in the engine seized? that could be a reason it's gritty, also is your glow plug old or new? Once, I was driving my T-Maxx 3.3, and a lot of fuel built up on the exhaust, same problem as you, but my tune is lean, sometimes the glow plug are faulty, and can not burn fuel efficiently. are you running the stock glow plug?

I will disagree with you on this.
Roto start will never have a hard time turning the engine over, even when its flooded, never failed me, never smoked.
Either the motor is stronger, or its geared differently than EZ, because it just keeps cranking.

I have tried EZ with a separate glow driver and it still just struggles, made me think it was my batteries for a while.
And every single one of them starts smoking if you hold it not even that long after it starts having a hard time turning the engine over.
I found it to be such a POS, you would think that Traxxas would think of a way to improve it somehow by now.
Yeah, fortunately, I never had one that went up in smoke, I usually don't need to keep it running for more than 2 or 3 seconds. I did have one had a broken glow starter. Yes, I agreed that Traxxas should have made it better. But then they can sell more parts.

I have some starting problems with a 2.5r swapped TC3 that uses the T-Maxx upswept header. It can make flooding issues even worse when the fuel can't be exhausted uphill. You will need to move the turn the model upside down and around to drain the excess fuel from the crankcase, header and pipe, to make it all run out the stinger (outlet) on the pipe. You can pinch or remove the fuel line, while the glow plug is removed, and spin the motor over to clear it out.

Open and inspect the EZ start gearbox assembly. Clean the oneway bearing and the motor shaft it rides on it to ensure it is free of oil. Note the position of the writing on the one way bearing race, re - install it the same way.

Verify your ez start wand is lighting off the glow plug. Remove the glow plug, install the ez start wire onto its terminal, ground the body of the glow plug against the engine head, press the wand button and verify the glow plug glows brightly (like a toaster element).